Wiki Posts
Search

RUMOUR: DL to fly to MEL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dalat767
Delta expects to receive the first A330 with high MTOW in Spring 2015.
Even some Airbus examples of increased range for this don't cover the distance LAX-BNE.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
According to the rumours, the plan is that VA will fly BNE-LAX daily with DL replacing VA's current x3 weekly MEL-LAX service - either its a direct replacement or maybe extra services at this moment is unknown.

What makes this rumour abit more credible this time round is that VA has applied for daily slots flying BNE-LAX, yet at the same time MEL is still retained - but we all know that VA has limited aircraft and won't be able to operate the x3 weekly services if the extra services to BNE are to happen.

I think its a win win proposition if DL is also willing to make the hop down to MEL as the 77L is better suited for the route. Its metal neutral anyways. And I simply don't see VA/DL abandoning MEL altogether considering both QF & UA seem to do quite well on the route, especially when UA announced MEL-LAX non-stop, sales exceeded expectations. VA/DL won't win any clients/customers by routing MEL pax through SYD/BNE/AKL.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Is MEL a slot restricted airport?

David
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Even some Airbus examples of increased range for this don't cover the distance LAX-BNE.
No but does have the ability to cover other 777 routes (JFK-TLV for example) which can free up aircraft to get the needed LRs.

Also Delta has built in a nice amount of 777 flying to Europe that could be pulled also.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Is MEL a slot restricted airport?

David
yes, but not in the same way like a LHR.

most(all?) airports have slots, its just that they have the runway capacity to make things easy for a carrier to fly whatever/whenever.

the LHRs, LGAs, DCAs of the world have capacity controlling slots because of limited runway availability.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
No but does have the ability to cover other 777 routes (JFK-TLV for example) which can free up aircraft to get the needed LRs.

Also Delta has built in a nice amount of 777 flying to Europe that could be pulled also.
Maybe, but I don't perceive DL to be widebody-utilization-restricted. Has somebody done the math recently (and shown their work)? DL, seasonally, has had as many as eight widebody aircraft out of service at one time for lie-flats reconfiguration. That work is ended, and 767 tcons are being replaced in part by 757 lie-flats making yet more aircraft available for intercon flights. A 77L is likely DL's best-suited aircraft but DL has demonstrated lots of ability to shuffle.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
It's official - VA will make BNE daily and cut its x3 weekly MEL-LAX service from 25OCT.

Hopefully this means DL might be able to step in.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:27 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by soorox
It's official - VA will make BNE daily and cut its x3 weekly MEL-LAX service from 25OCT.

Where'd you see this?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC, VA, EY
http://m.theage.com.au/travel/travel-planning/travel-news/virgin-australia-axes-melbourne-to-los-angeles-services-announces-daily-flights-to-brisbane-20140723-3cez7.html

Or ABT

http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-axes-melbourne-los-angeles-goes-daily-brisbane-lax?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=promobox&utm_ca mpaign=latestnews-articleleft
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
So if this happened, would VA go daily on BNE and DL go daily on MEL?

Wouldn't DL need 3 777's for this?
Actually, it just only 2 777 aircraft from LAX-MEL-LAX, but not 3.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by soorox

That would be nice, but given the DL/VA JV, I would think any plans for DL to start the route would've been mentioned at the same time as VA's cancellation announcement.

Last edited by cdubose98; Jul 23, 2014 at 12:27 am
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:28 am

I have called dl as i am scheduled to fly lax to mel in march15. Dl rep was not aware of change but found that only the mel to lax service was being scrapped. does not make much sense to me as va flies only 3days per week from lax to mel. What will va do with 777's in mel(not flying back to lax). i'm confused
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
10/25 is a pretty strange coincidence because that's when DL goes 777 on JFK - NRT - TLV. Can they do MEL with a 744? Rotate it in with the LAX - NRT 747 somehow, or continuing onto ATL?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
10/25 is a pretty strange coincidence because that's when DL goes 777 on JFK - NRT - TLV. Can they do MEL with a 744? Rotate it in with the LAX - NRT 747 somehow, or continuing onto ATL?
The10/25-10/26 weekend is the end of the IATA northern Summer season and the start of the northern winter schedules. THat's when most of the international schedule/route changes take place.

Unfortunately, no LAX-MEL nonstops for DL/VA this coming season.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by bruceatf
I have called dl as i am scheduled to fly lax to mel in march15. Dl rep was not aware of change but found that only the mel to lax service was being scrapped. does not make much sense to me as va flies only 3days per week from lax to mel. What will va do with 777's in mel(not flying back to lax). i'm confused
They will be redeployed to fly BNE-LAX daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.