Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more NON-PERISHABLE snacks w/ HOOUs

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
The snack boxes cost $7-$10 depending on what you get - if a business traveler who flies a roundtrip weekly now has to pay for that box that could be $1000+ benefit that is now going away (extreme I know as it is unlikely that anyone would be getting a snack box every single flight.)

I don't mind buying the boxes when I'm hungry still personally, but the point more is that Delta keeps devaluing elite status perks across the board - especially for business travelers. What's next? Free Economy Comfort becomes discounted - but wait it's OK because we are business travelers who can afford it.

And for the record - just because I get to travel for business every week doesn't mean I'm rolling in cash or anything. That's not the greatest assumption to make...
+1...one of these days DL will learn that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. It might take a while, but at some point it will happen.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I guess I'll turn them in for a mini bottle to go.
That's what I do on flights that are too short for the EATS menu and where I don't want to drink. I just order a coffee and bailey's or Fresca and vodka and drink the mixer and take the mini to go for later.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
My turn to jump in as OP.

This is just in my head and NOT from DL contact.

Everything, 100%, Delta does from this point is for $$$. Each choice has to be NET=ZERO to the bottom line OR to add to the DAL share price.

My guess is that the cost of ANY snack vs. drinks was big per unit and this will over a year mean millions to DL.

The REALLY scary thing is what will be looked at next by REV MGT as to what else they can ding us for!
Old May 13, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
If someone is flying RT weekly and never getting upgraded I hope they are looking for a new airline to get status with

It ticks me off as well that Delta keeps devaluing status. Upgrades are harder to get (I did better as a PM two years ago with upgrades than this year as Diamond) thanks in part to absurdly cheap FCM fares on some routes and removing a row of first class in the a319 and a320, and these coupons helped to make up for it on a longer flight.

American gives their EP's in economy a free drink AND sandwich or premium snack and the FA knows to do it based on the status on the manifest so it wouldn't kill Delta to give us a free snack box on a long haul.
That is my life - I fly DTW-LAX every week and never get upgraded - I had a coworker who started the year at DM and was regularly near 10 on the upgrade list. But it is hard to justify another airline just for upgrades - I tried splitting time with AA last year but ultimately just didn't make a lot of sense to do to Cali when a direct flight was available. I do get upgraded on non-work travel though and hopefully my next project allows me to benefit from DM.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Delta Points
My turn to jump in as OP.

This is just in my head and NOT from DL contact.

Everything, 100%, Delta does from this point is for $$$. Each choice has to be NET=ZERO to the bottom line OR to add to the DAL share price.

My guess is that the cost of ANY snack vs. drinks was big per unit and this will over a year mean millions to DL.

The REALLY scary thing is what will be looked at next by REV MGT as to what else they can ding us for!
What's next, no HOOU for drinks? Then the elimination of Soft drinks in Y for free and making the HOOU good for soft drinks only? The elimination of them in our medallion packs?
Old May 13, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
to adapt channa's tag line, "Don't you be giving Richard and the RM gang no ideas"
Old May 13, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Again, HOOU printed today did have the non perishable on it. Not sure what the outcry is about?
Old May 13, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
+1...one of these days DL will learn that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. It might take a while, but at some point it will happen.
Well, don't know about hogs being slaughtered, but living off these snack baskets will tend to make one fat.

That's why I load my bag with dozens of those healthy items from the SC before heading to the gate.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Maybe it's DL's master plan to serve ONLY alcohol on all flights.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by safigan
Maybe it's DL's master plan to serve ONLY alcohol on all flights.
Right....when they roll out 12" pitch between seats with unlimited booze so you won't notice that you can't feel your limbs.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Right....when they roll out 12" pitch between seats with unlimited booze so you won't notice that you can't feel your limbs.
They may start a new campaign of free drinks if you let someone sit in your lap. "A Double Shot for Double Occupancy!"
Old May 13, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, Southwest Companion Pass
Any chance the certificates without the free non-perishable offer are only printing for the flights that aren't catered with the snack boxes? I got one with non-perishable last Thursday. Today's didn't have one, but it's for two very short flights that won't have snack boxes.

I agree this stinks for those of us who don't drink. I could see taking off the snack boxes (which always make me feel a little sick anyone), but I did love my Pringles. Or maybe take them off for lower Medallion levels.

And I still fondly remember Sun Chips in First Class.....
Old May 13, 2014, 10:32 pm

Definitely disappointing. Additionally, as of May 1, they no longer sell any food on flights less than 900 miles. It's certainly already made my 816 mile twice weekly trip a little less pleasant.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by MedPhys
Definitely disappointing. Additionally, as of May 1, they no longer sell any food on flights less than 900 miles. It's certainly already made my 816 mile twice weekly trip a little less pleasant.
Doesn't make sense to me. There have definitely been times where I would have paid to buy food onboard. It's not often, but it has happened. Especially when my flight distance just barely didn't make the cut; I would be feeling pretty hungry, concede that I could at least buy some sort of food option, only to look at the EATS menu and my itinerary and see that I was something like 100 miles short of getting full menu options. One time on an early morning flight LAS-ATL, I was traveling with my family and used my BP HOOU to get a snack box, which supplemented the 4 sandwiches my parents and brother ended up buying. So my one free $8 snack box was more than offset by the four $10 sandwiches
Old May 14, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I honestly think eliminating snacks/meals for sale on >900mi flights makes sense. There are no meals offered on domestic F anyway for flights >900mi, so it would make more sense to align the F/Y offerings - how would F passengers feel if Y pax were able to purchase a snack/meal, while F pax got nothing but the snack basket?

As long as the complimentary Biscoffs and nuts/pretzels for all Y passengers aren't discontinued, it's all good. I just HOPE that's not next to be chopped…it's what makes DL unique among the 3 remaining legacies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.