Wiki Posts
Search

DL 84 ATL - CDG equipment change 3/28

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Plat
DL 84 ATL - CDG equipment change 3/28

Am I the only one that finds it odd Delta is putting the 777-200LR on the ATL-CDG route starting 3/28? That is an awfully long haul plane to fly this route. It has been years since they even had an 777-200ER on the route....but an LR?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by ATLCDG
Am I the only one that finds it odd Delta is putting the 777-200LR on the ATL-CDG route starting 3/28? That is an awfully long haul plane to fly this route. It has been years since they even had an 777-200ER on the route....but an LR?

Supply and Demand? It's hardly an inefficient airplane so if they have one lying around, they can surely fill it.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nichojo
Supply and Demand? It's hardly an inefficient airplane so if they have one lying around, they can surely fill it.
It just does not follow the DL strategy to NOT under-fly a plane based on range. DL has often flown the A330-300 to cdg from atl, which has roughly the same passenger count, but range more matched to the route.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Right size capacity for the route?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
works for AF

AF has always run 772 and 773 on this route and from a capacity standpoint, I fly this route about 5 times a year and they're often filled (at least all the flights I've taken).

Yes you're losing "opportunity range" with an LR, but they also do not fly them fully loaded with fuel, just fully loaded with butts.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Right size capacity for the route?
Richard Anderson quote from a recent article: "Aircraft that underfly their range are uneconomical,” Aviation Week quotes Anderson as saying. “You cannot make a 777 consistently profitable flying only East Coast to Europe. That would be routes 1,000 or 2,000 naut. mi. shorter than what it was designed for.”

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Is it maybe a cargo thing?

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It just does not follow the DL strategy to NOT under-fly a plane based on range. DL has often flown the A330-300 to cdg from atl, which has roughly the same passenger count, but range more matched to the route.
I guess the ratio of BE to coach seats would be approximately the same for the two aircraft (now that DL has removed the last two rows of BE), but IIRC the 777 can carry more cargo.

Otherwise, it's probably a case of an otherwise un-used 777 or one that can be effectively be scheduled in a rotation with the ATL-CDG segment.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
AF has always run 772 and 773 on this route and from a capacity standpoint, I fly this route about 5 times a year and they're oftened filled (at least all the flights I've taken).

Yes you're losing "opportunity range" with an LR, but they also do not fly them fully loaded with fuel, just fully loaded with butts.
Yes, but that is practically all AF has to fly. AF also will be flying the 747 back into Atl starting 3/28. Again...it is just counter to stated DL strategy and recent quotes from Richard Anderson. I just find it curious.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roknroll
Is it maybe a cargo thing?
Did not think of this.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Yes, but that is practically all AF has to fly. AF also will be flying the 747 back into Atl starting 3/28. Again...it is just counter to stated DL strategy and recent quotes from Richard Anderson. I just find it curious.
RA's opinion changes with the market.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I guess the ratio of BE to coach seats would be approximately the same for the two aircraft (now that DL has removed the last two rows of BE), but IIRC the 777 can carry more cargo.

Otherwise, it's probably a case of an otherwise un-used 777 or one that can be effectively be scheduled in a rotation with the ATL-CDG segment.
It probably has to do with fleet utilization. A plane that's on the ground is just depreciating and accumulating lease costs. If it can break even flying a hub-hub monopoly route, that's better than it sitting.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
It probably has to do with fleet utilization. A plane that's on the ground is just depreciating and accumulating lease costs. If it can break even flying a hub-hub monopoly route, that's better than it sitting.
Capacity discipline. It can be more profitable to use a smaller plane that does better than break even.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
A few years ago in the summer they were flying 777 between ATL and FRA (don't remember which model)

Could they be taking some planes out of service to install satellite WiFi before the summer crunch?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Think all the points are valid plus it eases concern of DL not flying enough seats as part of the TATL JV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.