Search

DL Promo Fare HKG-YVR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
DL Promo Fare HKG-YVR

Got another promo fare from DL trying to fill up the new HKG-SEA flight, except this one is to YVR. Just in case it's useful for someone. It earns miles. Not targeted.

Base fare HKD$3,380 or roughly USD$430, tried random dates in the acceptable range and found availability, AI fare HKD$5,976 or roughly USD$770. Still a good deal. Book by April 21 for travel departing between September 8 and November 30. TPAC sectors must be on the new HKG-SEA flight (281/282). Also noted Z available for HKD$30,118 or roughly USD$3,850 which is a pretty good deal too.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Got another promo fare from DL trying to fill up the new HKG-SEA flight, except this one is to YVR. Just in case it's useful for someone. It earns miles. Not targeted.

Base fare HKD$3,380 or roughly USD$430, tried random dates in the acceptable range and found availability, AI fare HKD$5,976 or roughly USD$770. Still a good deal. Book by April 21 for travel departing between September 8 and November 30. TPAC sectors must be on the new HKG-SEA flight (281/282). Also noted Z available for HKD$30,118 or roughly USD$3,850 which is a pretty good deal too.
These seem to be fares originating in HKG, no?

I haven't checked recently but MSP-HKG RT in M had been about $5500, although for a while it was lowered to around $4800 a few years ago. Z has always been more.

Note that CX serves the HKG-YVR route nonstop.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:59 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Pretty good deal. Though would be annoying to need to go through customs twice.

HongKonger - have you flown HKG-SEA? Are the loads pretty light still?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Pretty good deal. Though would be annoying to need to go through customs twice.

HongKonger - have you flown HKG-SEA? Are the loads pretty light still?
The direct flight doesn't begin until June 16. I'll be on it a few days later.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
These seem to be fares originating in HKG, no?

I haven't checked recently but MSP-HKG RT in M had been about $5500, although for a while it was lowered to around $4800 a few years ago. Z has always been more.

Note that CX serves the HKG-YVR route nonstop.
Yes I think originating in HKG only but for some it might be worth taking a positioning flight even on OAL to make some runs for MQM or RDM while they can still be earned under the old system.

I bet part of the reason behind this promo is to try to steal budget-conscious travelers away from the CX direct flight. AC also flies direct I think.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:16 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The direct flight doesn't begin until June 16. I'll be on it a few days later.
Ah - thanks. For some reason I thought it started last summer.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TTT
Ah - thanks. For some reason I thought it started last summer.
Unfortunately no.

You might be thinking of the briefly operated DTW-HKG nonstop. R.I.P.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:18 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, flew that a couple of times. IIRC, it operated for a year or two.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Unfortunately no.

Best flight ever.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Yes I think originating in HKG only but for some it might be worth taking a positioning flight even on OAL to make some runs for MQM or RDM while they can still be earned under the old system.

I bet part of the reason behind this promo is to try to steal budget-conscious travelers away from the CX direct flight. AC also flies direct I think.
Yes, AC flies direct but if I didn't have status I would rather clear customs twice and get a US visa (if I still needed one) than fly the AC 77P.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Guess DL is having trouble filling seats on the new SEA-HKG flight?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
DL Promo Fare HKG-YVR

Why are they offering promo fares ex SEA to HKG?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:38 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
There have been sub $750 fares on SEA/PDX/DFW - HKG fares for Aug-Nov. Nothing currently available at that price but I was easily able to lock in at that price a few months ago.

Keep an eye out, I am sure they will keep prices competitive if they can't sell seats.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Guess DL is having trouble filling seats on the new SEA-HKG flight?
Seems like it, but I'm not sure it wasn't to be expected. I think Delta decided to enter the Seattle market very aggressively and take some losses in order to you gain market share and become profitable in the long run, by changing the habits of FFers from other airlines, as well as DL FFers that are used to fly XXX-NRT-HKG. It's possible this is all part of a preplanned strategy.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by misterbean
Seems like it, but I'm not sure it wasn't to be expected. I think Delta decided to enter the Seattle market very aggressively and take some losses in order to you gain market share and become profitable in the long run, by changing the habits of FFers from other airlines, as well as DL FFers that are used to fly XXX-NRT-HKG. It's possible this is all part of a preplanned strategy.
I'd still much rather do MSP-NRT-HKG than MSP-SEA-HKG.

I really miss the DTW-HKG nonstop. Maybe if DL had been willing to take some losses on ti in order to gain market share......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.