Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New configuration for BE cabin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)

I'm bummed if these are true. Here's the rumor:

- revenue passengers usually hover a little less than 30 per international flight

- DL trying to limit the number of non-rev passengers (employees travelling on space available basis)

- encouraging DMs to buy Y, B and M fares and burn upgrade miles instead of using useless global upgrade certs

- removing last row of B772 to accommodate more Y+ seats (no more 14 ABCD)

- removing entire upper deck of B744 and making it all Y+ (2x2 layout)

- removing two rows on the B763 to match the newer B763 biz cabin ending in row 7

Can anybody confirm (flatbed) biz class cabin is shrinking fleetwide? Seems like the proverbial grass will be greener elsewhere but here.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
763 and 772 are confirmed. Some of the 772s are already modded... Not sure if they've gone after the 763s. The 744s are still a rumor, and the rumor is 3x3, not 2x2. There are a few existing threads on these changes if you search for them.

And if you were hoping for free/cheap upgrades to the premium cabin on international flights, the grass has already been greener elsewhere for a long time.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wouldn't 3-3 be tight on the UD of a 747? Especially when combined with the low overhead bins and generally curvature of the fusilage, which is why the previous generation of 2-2 business class seating had the storage space under windows.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wouldn't 3-3 be tight on the UD of a 747? Especially when combined with the low overhead bins and generally curvature of the fusilage, which is why the previous generation of 2-2 business class seating had the storage space under windows.
I'm sure it would, especially for bags, but that hasn't stopped Air France or Virgin Atlantic from configuring them that way.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:55 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
AF B747 UD pics:

The first pic appears to be in the middle of the cabin from the exit row forward with equally as many seats behind the photographer.

Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
It sounds like the 747 rumor is just a rumor. Something DL was seriously looking at but I don't think they are going through with. I think the idea was initially floated to pilots and crew on the 747s, but was shelved due to DL not wanting to spend all the money on mods and have the aircraft out of service when they are going to be retiring the 747 in the near future.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
That AF photo is the most depressing picture I've seen in a while. How sad would that be if Delta did that to their UD?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
That AF photo is the most depressing picture I've seen in a while. How sad would that be if Delta did that to their UD?
it's actually fine to fly Y on the AF 747 UD; one of the better Y experiences out there. Delta could easily fit 54-60 Y+ seats on the UD.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Is it me, or a trick of the camera, or is the aisle REALLY that narrow?!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
it's actually fine to fly Y on the AF 747 UD; one of the better Y experiences out there.
While I believe what you are saying, I've only ever flown upstairs on DL 747s and don't want to imagine that happening to the amazing experience up there.

Originally Posted by cfischer
Delta could easily fit 54-60 Y+ seats on the UD.
This is not surprising at all. This is what I'm afraid of.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by roknroll
I think the idea was initially floated to pilots and crew on the 747s
Delta would never ask flight crew for approval of a cabin modification. They will do whatever brings in an extra $ .02 in revenue. Do you think the flight crews wanted the rear galley removed on the MD-88?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Burj
Is it me, or a trick of the camera, or is the aisle REALLY that narrow?!
It is very narrow, and the window seats are cramped as well due to the curvature. If you have broad shoulders, you'd be up against the wall like on an RJ.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
FWIW, I think the old JAL 747s were 2-2 in the UD.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM

If 3-3 is such a problem, maybe 3-2 is a reasonable configuration?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:43 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by koreanair720
FWIW, I think the old JAL 747s were 2-2 in the UD.
They were 3-3 with standard Y pitch of 31 or 32". I flew them intra-Asia as recently as 2010, but in the past also did one or two Transpacs up there. As a Y experience I actually preferred it to being downstairs b/c of the more intimate cabin. Yes, it's a little cramped, but you don't get the impression that you are packed in with hundreds of other Y passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.