Wiki Posts
Search

New configuration for BE cabin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
There have to be some DC-10 Barcaloungers around somewhere
You used to be able to buy them at Ax-Man Surplus on University Ave in St Paul.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Originally Posted by AdamDunn32
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Source? Is this hearsay, or was there a memo?
I also can confirm this from a reliable internal source. Not a pilot, someone at HQ. Upper deck appears to be staying business elite.
Your source is probably better than mine but I just flew the 747 UD and the FA told me the idea was floated internally to get some feedback. The pilots especially didn't like it, not that the FA's were thrilled either because it meant much more work upstairs, more crowded, etc. Funny, she also said specifically the PM/DM's wouldn't like it because they value these seats so much.

Bottom line, keep on booking your 747 UD BE seats. They won't be going anywhere soon.
What a relief! I look forward to another few years of the 747 UD.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by davetravels
On the AF B744 UD, there's a storage area back behind the steps by the galley. I've put my bag there a coupl'a times.
And no need for it to fit down the UD aisle either
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mother-
And no need for it to fit down the UD aisle either
Originally Posted by Xeno
I used that area when I was in 80K but had to wait on at least one FA before I could grab my bag and run down the stairs.
Well, I really don't know for sure, but, my impression is that the UD small-ish rear storage area is mainly for FAs' stuff, but they'll put other stuff there on a space available basis.

It's an interesting little space, in that, I don't seem to remember it being enclosed by any kind of door, or closure - maybe I missed it - it's sort of like a big tray. I would think that in heavy turbulence, the stuff placed back there could easily fly!

Maybe Xeno got a better look at it. I can't find any pics of it online.

Hey, Xeno, I just realized that you said - seat 80K . . . . That's a DL seat. (AF rows are 60-69) So, DL also has a storage are behind the steps? I wonder how it differs from AF?

Last edited by davetravels; Apr 18, 2014 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by davetravels
Well, I really don't know for sure, but, my impression is that the UD small-ish rear storage area is mainly for FAs' stuff, but they'll put other stuff there on a space available basis.

It's an interesting little space, in that, I don't seem to remember it being enclosed by any kind of door, or closure - maybe I missed it - it's sort of like a big tray. I would think that in heavy turbulence, the stuff placed back there could easily fly!

Maybe Xeno got a better look at it. I can't find any pics of it online.

Hey, Xeno, I just realized that you said - seat 80K . . . . That's a DL seat. (AF rows are 60-69) So, DL also has a storage are behind the steps? I wonder how it differs from AF?
I am in IST and must have not read your post carefully as I thought your earlier reference was to the DL 744. Sorry can't help you about AF UD because my AF 747 ATL-CDG was in the nose (4B) and I was very happy with the seat itself and the location.

Yes, I put my rollaboard in the closet at the right of the top of the DL 744 stairs when I lost 73A due to a date change and ended up in 80K. When I put my rollaboard - is it 22" TravelPro Pl? - in the 73A or 80K OB, part of my case is bent when the flight is over. The irony is that my case fits on an RJ7 OB (1 C/D) much less MD88 and bigger.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: SQ
Sometimes this makes sense.....

I just flew ATL-LIM in E+ and was pretty irritated that all the non-revs were getting upgraded. There were about 50% (a generous estimation) of the seats filled on both of my flights on the 767, and since this is a 'good' plane there are no elite upgrades.

I watched a large amount of non-revs clear into J and the cabin went out full. I really wonder why they're not flying a 757 on this route. Apparently Y fills pretty well, although it seemed to be about 75% to me.

Taking out some of the J seats would make room for Y where the demand is. My guess is that most of those doing business (and paying for the good seats) in Peru aren't coming from Atlanta.....
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I believe someone posted confirming that the 744 rumor was nothing but a rumor and won't happen due to the 744s short life span remaining.
As always with DL it's just a scary rumor until it happens.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
That AF photo is the most depressing picture I've seen in a while. How sad would that be if Delta did that to their UD?
My lone ride on a 747 UD was on South African in 2000. They had Y up there and I can tell you that even at the tender age of 14 when I was I think 5'2 it felt unbearably cramped and uncomfortable.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais

I just flew ATL-LIM in E+ and was pretty irritated that all the non-revs were getting upgraded. There were about 50% (a generous estimation) of the seats filled on both of my flights on the 767, and since this is a 'good' plane there are no elite upgrades.

I watched a large amount of non-revs clear into J and the cabin went out full. I really wonder why they're not flying a 757 on this route. Apparently Y fills pretty well, although it seemed to be about 75% to me.

Taking out some of the J seats would make room for Y where the demand is. My guess is that most of those doing business (and paying for the good seats) in Peru aren't coming from Atlanta.....

LIM is a cargo heavy route where NRSA are lucky to make the flight, even w/open seats, and in instances where DL knows they aren't going to sell Y, they typically oversell Y to make up for it.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:39 am

I flew on the UD of a 744 configured in 3 x 3 Y on FJ several years ago. 3 x 3 on the 744 upper deck does not seem any different than a 737. The aisle may be slightly narrower, I do not recall. The cabin wall does not bend in towards the bottom of the window seat, and there was a storage compartment on the side wall which took a few inches out of the width of the cabin, but that is needed to make the top of the seats fit within the curve of the roof. The overhead bins are small.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Someone upthread said the 763 mods from 36 to 25 (or basically all to 76Zs) are confirmed, but I can find nothing online that seems even somewhat official. Links?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by sky303
Someone upthread said the 763 mods from 36 to 25 (or basically all to 76Zs) are confirmed, but I can find nothing online that seems even somewhat official. Links?
The 24-26 BE 763's I've been on recently all had expanded EC. I think this is probably a smart move (assuming they don't routinely sell out BE). I have had a number of optional trips I didn't take because there were no aisle EC seats on flights that fit my schedule.

One full BE seat is almost certainly more revenue than my skipped trips, but was more than a NonRev
Old May 9, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by javabytes
763 and 772 are confirmed. Some of the 772s are already modded... Not sure if they've gone after the 763s. The 744s are still a rumor, and the rumor is 3x3, not 2x2. There are a few existing threads on these changes if you search for them.

And if you were hoping for free/cheap upgrades to the premium cabin on international flights, the grass has already been greener elsewhere for a long time.
Flew yesterday they are scrapping the reconfig of 744 upper deck. Confirmed by cabin crew who were on a special assignment w dl senior leadership last week...
Old May 9, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais

DL carries a lot more asparagus out of LIM than it does non-revs. Notorious as one of the worst non-rev routes due to cargo loading. Hell, they occasionally sub the 777 on Lima for cargo. A 757 was way too small of a plane for the route and what is below the passenger cabin.

Why were you irritated that others were getting upgraded? You were every bit as capable as anyone else of purchasing a ticket in the cabin you desired.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by zpiester
Flew yesterday they are scrapping the reconfig of 744 upper deck. Confirmed by cabin crew who were on a special assignment w dl senior leadership last week...
I thought it was confirmed they weren't going to do this?

Rumor and counter-rumor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.