Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Red-Eye Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Delta once had a DEN-ATL redeye. I bet that was a lot of fun.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
SMF-ATL, despite being a transcon 2000+ miles, was NOT FUN as a redeye at all when I took it. I guess tailwinds helped to shorten the flight - it was shown on the website as almost 5 hours, but took about 3:45 from start to finish. Never again.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
SMF-ATL, despite being a transcon 2000+ miles, was NOT FUN as a redeye at all when I took it. I guess tailwinds helped to shorten the flight - it was shown on the website as almost 5 hours, but took about 3:45 from start to finish. Never again.
LAX-ATL is pretty much the same thing... Right around 3:45 from wheels up to wheels down. LAX-MSP and LAX-MEM are even worse... those are awful red-eyes.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Since I was relegated from DM to GM, I have stopped flying redeyes, since I can no longer count on getting upgraded on them. I used to actually enjoy redeyes on a 757 on routes like SMF-ATL or OAK-ATL which DL either no longer flies or uses smaller equipment; I'd get a window seat, two adult PDBs, and would be asleep by wheels up, waking up 4+ hours later at ATL.

I've had truly awful experiences on domestic redeyes in Y. I had a tall man in a middle seat strike me hard on top of my head with his elbow while I was trying to sleep in a window seat; I've had a woman drop a bag out of the overhead bin onto my head while I was sitting in an aisle seat just after I fell asleep. On a TWA flight years ago I had just fallen asleep in an aisle seat when the woman next to me needed to go to the lav. I've been elbowed repeatedly by the person next to me on two different redeyes. Simply awful.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Delta once had a DEN-ATL redeye. I bet that was a lot of fun.
I was on that flight coming back from the Notre Dame-Air Force Academy football game in 2006; it left at something like 0145.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
would sitting in a middle seat on a red-eye flight be worst ?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Originally Posted by ND76
I was on that flight coming back from the Notre Dame-Air Force Academy football game in 2006; it left at something like 0145.
They still have it. There is also a seasonal DEN-JFK redeye too
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by comptr
That depends on who is sitting next to you. It could be a true win-win. In-fact if a true 10 (OK an 8) was sitting next to you and magic could fly. Hello, Red Eye! I have a joke on this, I'll leave that alone.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Maybe they should rehire the pilots who flew past MSP to perform that flight. They can market it as the "Extended Redeye Service".
I believe they still fly for Delta.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:13 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Mrs. Lovecabo and I flew the redeye from LAS-ATL last weekend. Didn't get any sleep at all, but my own fault and not that of the crew. To their credit they never brightened the cabin lights at all until our descent, such that they had a heck of a time servicing those of us who were awake in the nearly pitch black environment. The only time there was an announcement was when we hit turbulence but the rest of the flight was almost totally silent.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I take the SEA-ATL redeye quite frequently and it is okay, but I don't sleep particularly well on planes without flat beds.

Just need to get a window seat, some Woodford and a couple of my Ambien and things will be smooth.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
This isn't unique to domestic. I took the overnight ATL-MAN with the wife and 14mo son about a month ago. The lights didn't go out until 4.5 hours into a 9 hour flight. This after several IFE commercials, endless announcements, dinner served and cleared, drinks topped up, and duty-free cart passed 3 times up/down the aisle. Needless to say, our young son wasn't happy at that point being way past his bedtime with all the disruptions.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
LAS-MSP is easily the worst in the network. I posted this on a similar thread on the UA board last week, but:

My favorite, LAS-MSP, always clocks in at like 2:20.

It feels like 45 minutes if you're up front and fall asleep... and 8 hours if you're in back; crowded by drunks and other fine denizens of this beautiful country.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
Quote:

Originally Posted by comptr

That depends on who is sitting next to you. It could be a true win-win. In-fact if a true 10 (OK an 8) was sitting next to you and magic could fly. Hello, Red Eye! I have a joke on this, I'll leave that alone.
We'll I will look out as my flight is this Thursday.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Will they ever add back a meal service on the longer non west coast to JFK routes? I used to like the wraps they had on the red eyes from LAX-CMH/RDU/BOS/BDL etc. Just a snack basic seems so little for the longer red eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.