Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL to offer incentives for new int'l routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL to offer incentives for new int'l routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:36 am
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
VCE!! Capitol to Capitol - New South to Most Serene Republic!!!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by Chalky White
How many Euro-based pax are they aggregating in AMS for the AMS-BOM route? Seems like if they are trying to get North Americans to BOM, the most logical place to do that is in ATL. However, they'd need something bigger than the 767 they have on the AMS-BOM route to do it.
DL upgrades and downgrades routes frequently to best match demand/capacity. I am sure they could appropriate a 77L to that route from another route that doesn't need the performance metrics of the 77L. With the entire widebody fleet refurbished, and soon finishing up the righsizing of the BE cabins on the 777s, I think DL will have more flexibility in this regard.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Chalky White
How many Euro-based pax are they aggregating in AMS for the AMS-BOM route? Seems like if they are trying to get North Americans to BOM, the most logical place to do that is in ATL. However, they'd need something bigger than the 767 they have on the AMS-BOM route to do it.
ATL makes sense in that it has so much feed and is such a big local market. But it is a fair bit further than JFK, which is also an even bigger local market (but with more competition). Given the central location to both east and west, MSP would actually provide a nice combination of connectivity and distance, but the local market is weak.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
I think Shanghai makes a whole lot more sense than anywhere in India. When you think historically, DL gave up on Mumbai from ATL in 2009 and has not tried it ever again. For Shanghai, DL gave it a go in 2008, gave up, then gave it another go in 2011 before ending again. So you can probably bet the Shanghai route was more viable than Mumbai. Also since 2011, trade between China and ATL/Georgia + the southern US has increased significantly, while the Indian economy has been stagnant. Lastly, DL has a strong Skyteam partner in China Eastern at the other end of PVG, while DL has no partners in BOM. So between PVG and BOM, I'd bet PVG any day.

That said, perhaps TLV, SVO, or another Brazilian city/increased frequency to existing Brazilian city could also be possible. I believe after reading the resolution, there is nothing stopping DL from utilizing the incentive program for multiple new destinations. The resolution states that ATL will provide waived landing fees and matching promotional funds for new routes, not to exceed $2 million a year in total (for a term of 5 years). Does anyone know how much a typical widebody daily flight costs in landing fees per year at ATL?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:52 am

So ATL-PVG would be the most logical China route.
Regarding Brazil, I would think that ATL-CNF (Belo Horizonte) and
ATL-VCP (Sao Paulo's 2nd Airport) should be the front runners.
ATL-SVO maybe have a chance but very slim.

All others would have seasonal demand and would be difficult to sustain year-round.

BTW, anyone has a list of discontinued route from ATL over the years?
I can only remember PVG, TLV, BOM, ICN, CPT, ABV, ARN, CPH, SVO.
Any additions?

Last edited by Windiesga; Apr 26, 2014 at 7:01 am
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:56 am

So the incentive program appeals to Emerging and Premium Markets.

The premium market incentives are 2 years waiver of landing fees and $50,000
for promotion.

The premium markets covers the BRIICS countries (Brazil, Russia, China, India, Indonesia & South Africa).
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TK has several times stated that they plan on flying IST-ATL, even noting it in their reports to the Turkish Capital market board that they planned on doing so. When they did this a few years ago most thought it a "warning" kite being flown at Delta. However as Delta totally whimped out on the Turkish market, not just by never bringing back the wildly successful pre 9/11 ATL-IST flight, but by making JFK-IST a seasonal flight with a shorter season this year than last, while TK now does JFK-IST 3x in the summer, not to mention IST - LAX/BOS/CHI/SFO/IAH/YUL/YYZ and upcoming SFO and possibly MIA. So now 9 or 10 flights a day to North America, so it would make sense for them to try Atlanta out.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:15 am

I'd really love to see Cathay Pacific fly from Atl....
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Windiesga
So the incentive program appeals to Emerging and Premium Markets.

The premium market incentives are 2 years waiver of landing fees and $50,000
for promotion.

The premium markets covers the BRIICS countries (Brazil, Russia, China, India, Indonesia & South Africa).
Would an ATL-Indonesia flight even be theoretically possible?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I highly doubt, CGK (Jakarta) is not even served from NRT. So a flight to the US
is not feasible.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Unless it's marketed as ATL-XXX-CGK direct, it's not possible, as the N/S distance is more than the 77L range.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:14 am

Africa currently is underdeveloped markets. The next logical destination to Africa should be NBO; however, the security issue needs to be resolved. Other destinations to Africa would be LAD, LBV, SSG, ABJ, TIP, and CPT. 4x or 5x weekly flights should be sufficient for a new market.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by misterbean
Unless it's marketed as ATL-XXX-CGK direct, it's not possible, as the N/S distance is more than the 77L range.
The "direct" nonsense does not qualify for the ATL subsidy (they only allow a technical stop).

Since the subsidy is the same amount for any eligible flight, if it was to drive a decision I would think it more likely they would grab it with something cheap like a caribean flight. I do not see why a small subsidy would effect a major decision like ATL<>[Something real far away].
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:44 pm
k2

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Since the subsidy is the same amount for any eligible flight, if it was to drive a decision I would think it more likely they would grab it with something cheap like a caribean flight. I do not see why a small subsidy would effect a major decision like ATL<>[Something real far away].
+1

Smart money is on central/south America. Seems to me DL is smartly pushing new Asia routes to SEA, and with the NY strategy JFK should get new Europe routes.

Maybe BOM, but JFK still makes more sense than ATL for that route.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by k2
+1

Smart money is on central/south America. Seems to me DL is smartly pushing new Asia routes to SEA, and with the NY strategy JFK should get new Europe routes.

Maybe BOM, but JFK still makes more sense than ATL for that route.
Skyteam is so far behind in SA/CA it's not even funny.

They will need to do a lot more than push incentives to catch up with Copa, Avianca, LAN, and the others. I think that if there was real demand maybe Copa or Avianca would have an ATL flight.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.