Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Breaking: AA to offer a special status match for displaced DL flyers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve

Hi all,

Not sure on the timeline but I just got off the phone with a SVP (or equivalent) at AA who told me AA is prepared to offer a special competitive status match to displaced DL FF. From my understanding it will be well worth the switch to AA if you are not paying more than 20 CPM... Something to consider: they will soon have the largest route network.

Once I get more details I'll post here. But seems like AA is ready to capitalize on DLs fail. I would rather see a double spend requirement on an airline than this current RDM mess on DL. The individual I spoke with at AA stated they don't have anything in the pipeline similar to this for the next three years.

Take it as you will this could change tomorrow but it's a great opportunity.

Full disclosure: AA offered me EXP (including all the certs and SWUs) for this entire year to move my flying. I will maintain my DL status due to rollover for the next four years and will fly enough this year to hit 1MM.

See you on AA.

With regards,

mbwmbw
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well, I like to think I'm about 6 months ahead in this. Looking forward to celebrating my last day as a Delta medallion tomorrow by spending the day with AA!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by cmd320
Well, I like to think I'm about 6 months ahead in this. Looking forward to celebrating my last day as a Delta medallion tomorrow by spending the day with AA!
Did they give you a status match? If so would you disclose the terms of it? Interested.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Did they give you a status match? If so would you disclose the terms of it? Interested.
No status match. I signed up for the status challenge promotion back in August of last year. The terms for that were 6000, 12000, or 30000 EQMs for Gold, Plat, or EXP respectively, from 9/1-12/31. Knowing EXP isn't offered in challenges very often I decided that was an opportunity I couldn't resist.

With this recent change however, I wouldn't be surprised to see some status match challenges offered to DMs. If they are offered I would assume the requirements would be something similar to that. Current challenges for Gold and Plat require 5000 or 10000 EQP respectively. If offered briefly for EXP, I would guess the requirement would be something like 20-25k EQP but it's anyone's guess really.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Hi all,

Not sure on the timeline but I just got off the phone with a SVP (or equivalent) at AA who told me AA is prepared to offer a special competitive status match to displaced DL FF. From my understanding it will be well worth the switch to AA if you are not paying more than 20 CPM... Something to consider: they will soon have the largest route network.
Not TPAC otherwise I'd already be on AA.

But they are starting a direct flight to HKG so once the details of this offer are released it may be time to give them serious consideration.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Does anyone know what level status match AA offers for GM/PM?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:23 am
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Hi all,

Not sure on the timeline but I just got off the phone with a SVP (or equivalent) at AA who told me AA is prepared to offer a special competitive status match to displaced DL FF.

Full disclosure: AA offered me EXP (including all the certs and SWUs) for this entire year to move my flying.
Don't think all of us can call a Senior Vice President (or equivalent) at AA. Since you seem to be such good friends with someone senior at American, wanna pass along their contact info so I can give them a ring too?

There's no special status match going on to poach DL flyers.

AA told me you can do the usual paid challenge, blah blah blah etc etc etc.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tryanjordan
Does anyone know what level status match AA offers for GM/PM?
They don't currently offer a published direct match but they will give you a challenge. As stated in my first post I'm not sure of the timeline to the pure match but suggest you write in to request details. It's in the works.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AirTheory
Quote:

Hi all,

Not sure on the timeline but I just got off the phone with a SVP (or equivalent) at AA who told me AA is prepared to offer a special competitive status match to displaced DL FF.

Full disclosure: AA offered me EXP (including all the certs and SWUs) for this entire year to move my flying.

Don't think all of us can call a Senior Vice President (or equivalent) at AA. Since you seem to be such good friends with someone senior at American, wanna pass along their contact info so I can give them a ring too?

There's no special status match going on to poach DL flyers.

AA told me you can do the usual paid challenge, blah blah blah etc etc etc.
Call the corporate offices talk to the operator ask to be transferred to someone in marketing (don't be afraid to embellish a bit). I honestly went on LinkedIn pulled a bunch of names called started asking for those people and got transferred to someone else who said they could help. Just gotta be persistent and you'll get through.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Quote:

Hi all,

Not TPAC otherwise I'd already be on AA.

But they are starting a direct flight to HKG so once the details of this offer are released it may be time to give them serious consideration.
HKGer I hope to see you in the air soon. I bet if you ask they would even start service for someone of your caliber
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
HKGer I hope to see you in the air soon. I bet if you ask they would even start service for someone of your caliber
They did matches for a while last year with UA flyers. I wonder if I could get matched before my DM status expires Friday night.

David
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

. But seems like AA is ready to capitalize on DLs fail.
please explain more about this DL failure. What has DL failed at? Last I checked, after all the changes they talked about last year with MQD's, they still earned quite a bit of money in 2013. Last I checked, flat bed mods are almost complete on the entire international fleet, last I checked, they earned airline of the year title for 2013. The last time a US based carrier did that was UA in 1974. So, where and how has DL failed?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Quote:

. But seems like AA is ready to capitalize on DLs fail.

please explain more about this DL failure. What has DL failed at?
For some it's not a fail but a win. Perspective.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Quote:

They did matches for a while last year with UA flyers. I wonder if I could get matched before my DM status expires Friday night.

David
They did a status match on UA? Didn't know that. How long was it good for?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
They already have. DFW-HKG begins this summer, I believe it has yet to be approved though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.