Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta introduces new revenue program for earn, one-way awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Universal link to SkyMiles 2015 changes

2015 SkyMiles Program

PDF Version

Everything begins January 1, 2015 on Delta marketed flights with DL code and 006 tickets.

Medallion Qualification - Same as 2014.

MQM or MQS stays at the qualification criteria for all members except US based where MQD is added.
Rollover MQMs to stay.
Current benefits to stay...? Remains unclear until the benefits are published for the following year.
Miles don't expire

Earn Award Miles - Drastically changed.

Non Medallion - 5 Miles/$1
Silver - 7 Miles/$1
Gold - 8 Miles/$1
Platinum - 9 Miles/$1
Diamond - 11 Miles/$1

Credit Card miles earning remains unchanged. Depending on the card you hold you may earn up to 2 miles/$1. Until the new award rates are out it remains as mystery on whether using a Delta credit card is better or worse.

Partner flights will earn on a percentage of distance flown and fare class paid...? Remains unclear until more information is out.

All fares paid by other currency will be converted to USD based on IATA 5-day currency exchange rate at the time of ticketing. Then apply the same rate listed above.

Existing miles to stay with no changes.

Miles + Cash are AWARD tickets. Medallions can get free upgrades.

Redeem Miles - New 2015 Award Chart

No blackout dates on Delta flights...? No blackout dates on DL-operated flights as per the FAQ.
More award seat availability...?
Five award levels
Miles + Cash offer available
One-way awards at half of round trip rate
New award calendar
Print Wikipost

Delta introduces new revenue program for earn, one-way awards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
I know they dont. What changes for me is my flights are usually the bump to 500(MSP to ORD and MSP to BIS) but higher because of cost. The rule changes benefit me since last year my dollar spend was just over $11K. Instead of 29K miles and SM, when I use dollars its 77K and PM. I know its using the base 7 for SM when it can rise quicker because of the change. My average flight cost last year was $458(Round Trip) so I get 3200+ miles on a trip versus 1,000. I know at SM you get a 25% bonus. Hell my flight from MSP to LAX next week(RT) is 3830 with my SM bonus while this time next year it would have been 5348.
right so you'll get more RDM, not MQM.... won't boost your status... this does, however, add to silver while really devaluing other levels... I'm not bothering with the MQD waiver anymore
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Has anyone discussed how choice benefit miles are suddenly now more valuable?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Has anyone discussed how choice benefit miles are suddenly now more valuable?
How so?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:48 pm

From 2015 on, taking the 20K or 25K miles as a choice benefit will give more value, if in fact, lower awards are more readily available.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
From 2015 on, taking the 20K or 25K miles as a choice benefit will give more value, if in fact, lower awards are more readily available.
I think that's a big assumption to make. One could argue it makes CC miles all the more valuable too.

I believe availability of awards at lower tiers will not improve.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:54 pm

Delta has just made earning RDM more difficult for most flyers. That makes the choice benefit of 20K or 25K more valuable. You cannot spin that. But, I'm sure you'll keep trying.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
I think that's a big assumption to make. One could argue it makes CC miles all the more valuable too.

I was trying to respond to your "Assumes facts not in evidence" post, but you apparently were editing it as I was trying.

Anyway, I am glad that I had I just just finished swallowing my drink.

Priceless, albeit transient.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I hope Spirit expands in hubs of airlines that implement this scheme. We low fare payers are not welcome anyways.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta has just made earning RDM more difficult for most flyers. That makes the choice benefit of 20K or 25K more valuable. You cannot spin that. But, I'm sure you'll keep trying.
If your boss cuts your weekly paycheck by ten percent, does that suddenly make your holiday bonus more valuable, even if that stays the same?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I was trying to respond to your "Assumes facts not in evidence" post, but you apparently were editing it as I was trying.

Anyway, I am glad that I had I just just finished swallowing my drink.

Priceless, albeit transient.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Dear Delta Sky Miles Members,
Welcome to Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan! Since Delta now appears to not value anyone but their ultra elites, everyone else is welcome to come on over.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Dear Delta Sky Miles Members,
Welcome to Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan! Since Delta now appears to not value anyone but their ultra elites, everyone else is welcome to come on over.
I'm sure I could search for this, but I don't feel so bad asking in a comment: does AS status match?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: All airlines / hotels
I really enjoyed many years on Delta

Having read through the posts, it seems that many FF's are OK with the recently-announced Delta Skymiles changes. I am not. I feel like I've been asked for a divorce from a trusted business partner.

For the last 18 months, I've become highly suspect of Delta's (all to often comment) that they are listening and responding to their FF requests. I just don't see it in the actions they have chosen to take.

I'm a 3 million lifetime flier and a current Diamond card holder on DL. I fly a mix of domestic and international trips, about 75% are coach revenue and 25% true business class revenue. I chose not to fly Southwest nor JetBlue because I want to put my trust in an airline and a program that I easily understand. For example "A mile is a mile." I have only travelled on carriers that keep this level of simplicity so that I can easily forecast what I need to do to retain Diamond status without the mileage runs that one can read about on this site. Same with Marriott or National. A night is a night; a rental is a rental. When one has enough frequency and costs of it is covered by my company or clients, all I care about is miles, nights and rentals.

I also hold lifetime 1K status on UA and lifetime Gold status on AA. Lifetime Emerald Elite status on National Car and lifetime Plat status in Marriott. I'm truly loyal to National & Marriott, having not strayed from them unless they didn't have service to the market I travelled. I earned lifetime 1K status on UAL only when the last time DL (under Leo Mullin) decided to make their P&L work on the backs of Frequent fliers. I returned to DL after the NW merger. In total, across all airlines, I've flown over 8,5 million miles. I say this not to brag, but rather to make a point about how painful this divorce is that DL is inflicting on me.

I have reached a stage where I don't want to open my (e)mail from Delta, as I wonder what else they are taking away. Trust is gone; if DL is going to act like Southwest & JetBlue, then I really don't have a choice but to entertain new airlines.

I know that revenue matters more than longevity to Delta. I grudgingly accept that change (even if Delta is making lots of money and not paying income tax - another story for another thread.) What DL fails to recognize in these last changes is that passengers are forced (either by our company travel agents or our own interests) to accept the lowest fares in a market but we always know mileage accreditation. For example, I travel to JNB. If DL has sold enough seats, the lowest fare will be $1,500 or more higher than on days when it hasn't sold enough seats. DL has a plane to fill. Under the old system, I knew I was going to get an exact "mileage" amount. Now, I'm not in control of pricing & I have no way to effectively know where I stand on my earnings.

For those who thought DL's old scheme was generous; I don't see it. Try redeeming points today at the 25,000 point level. Its near impossible. With my accumulated points, I know what questions to ask DL agents and some have confided that, even on planes with no seats booked (and it happens if you work far enough out) the lowest point class isn't available.

So, I'll re-earn Diamond for 2015; but then I'll see which airlines have not followed suit and ask them for a "loyalty match" scheme until I can prove that I'll generate revenue for whomever that airline is.

I've done the math using last years flight history to know that DL would get 50% more revenue in total from me if I want to "earn" the same MQM's. I can't do that to those that employ me.

While its Delta's right to change the FF program, discontinue Flying Colonel, etc. etc. it doesn't mean I have to like their interest to discount my loyalty. Change is hard. Particularly when one stays loyal through the bad years of the airline only to be thrown under the bus when the airline return to profitability. As I said earlier, DL isn't paying tax because of accumulated operating losses, so this isn't an airline in financial trouble. If there is a bright side, its that my friends who work for DL should more easily be able to commute and use their Space Available passes if enough Medallions act as I will.

Thanks to Delta, I've now become an advocate for increasing competition from new airlines. Airlines like Norweigan Air must be allowed entry into the US, assuming they can prove safety and air worthiness. They fly new equipment, just like Volaris (the leading low cost airline in Mexico). I really hope fellow FF's will also encourage our Gov't to do all it can to allow new airlines to enter.

Thanks for reading my thoughts & feelings. Being asked for a divorce is hard but DL is asking more (for same) from me than I can ask of my company and clients. I'm sure others who contribute to this column will have some ideas and I appreciate reading what you have to say.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmichael453
I'm sure I could search for this, but I don't feel so bad asking in a comment: does AS status match?
Yes, up to MVP Gold
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes

mlbach... very well put. ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.