Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2015 Korean Air Blackout dates for DL Skymiles redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Korean Air Blackout dates for DL Skymiles redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I managed to ticket RNO-SEA-ICN-AMS-PRG on AS/DL/KL metal.

KE has a direct flight ICN-PRG but while it was showing initially, when actually booked it was not available. Totally stupid to have to stop in AMS when there is a direct flight. Calling delta was 50 minutes of hold, 30 minutes of hold and no help at all.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ENFO
But this doesn't matter if Delta.com is showing availability on a particular date. I was trying to book HKG-ICN-JFK during a former blackout date for North Asia-US. If you're saying that Delta is still blacking that out based on KE's peak dates (although the whole discussion is that Delta isn't doing that anymore based on the new fare rules showing), then fine, but they shouldn't show availability online.
dulta.com shows availability as it is there and is available. It's just that, it seems (too little still to know for sure), it is refusing to book it for the sectors/directions where KE has the "peak" travel dates in effect.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Delta.com will show availability and will let you go to pay, and then it will say it's not allowed, try again. If you call, they will see it, they will try it, and also be confused when it doesn't work. It's because of holiday/peak travel periods. Trust, they're still there.

https://kr.koreanair.com/global/en/s...eakseason.html
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
dulta.com shows availability as it is there and is available. It's just that, it seems (too little still to know for sure), it is refusing to book it for the sectors/directions where KE has the "peak" travel dates in effect.
This is huge improvement although the website should be wiser. It appears I can book ORD-ICN on 7/31 online or on the phone which was impossible until recently. However, even if ICN-ORD on 7/31 shows availability, I cannot book because it's peak season.

Just FYI, KE collects more tax: KE's SEA-ICN nonstop costs $24.20 while DL charges only $5.60 for the same route.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
But this doesn't matter if Delta.com is showing availability on a particular date. I was trying to book HKG-ICN-JFK during a former blackout date for North Asia-US. If you're saying that Delta is still blacking that out based on KE's peak dates (although the whole discussion is that Delta isn't doing that anymore based on the new fare rules showing), then fine, but they shouldn't show availability online.
+1 It actually used to be better when at least if you knew they were showing space on a blackout date it was tangible that one with enough knowledge could determine it was "phantom space". Now - who the hell know's what will work and what won't.

I mean is this really the untrustworthy program they are going to continue to run without someone doing something - hey DOT???.

Take for example how in the heck does one go about making a booking by transferring Amex miles in with this incompetence, especially with 99% of folks not being able to get HOLDs and MR transfers being irreversible. Amex needs to get made as hell as they're about to have a bunch of p/o'd MR members who transfer 500k miles it to book the 7 ATL-ICN seats in J Dl.dumb shows only to have Delta say - "oops you can't go by our website, that's a blackout (that we don't actually publish anywhere) but feel free to book DL metal for 3x the price" - um that's a bait/switch pure and simple and really borderline fraud.

This isn't conjecture. I successfully booked BKK-ICN-SFO in J online yesterday and the computer and phone wouldn't allow SFO-ICN-BKK a week later. BOTH SETS OF DATES were on "former" blackout dates for both SE Asia & N. Asia US.

So honestly in the hundreds of DL awards I've booked (for myself and clients) - this is the first time I have absolutely no idea if what is showing is real or is fake. And the best part is there is zero way to tell what will work and what won't!

If you've got AMEX miles please don't make the mistake of transferring in boatloads to book something you see online. At least call to verify the agents can see the space - otherwise you're setting yourself up for a major fall.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by OLYflyer
this is the first time I have absolutely no idea if what is showing is real or is fake. And the best part is there is zero way to tell what will work and what won't!
Look at the link that mikesaidyes attached: https://kr.koreanair.com/global/en/s...eakseason.html

It will give you an idea for which route and date, you are okay. Basically we cannot book KE's peak dates as mikesaidyes said. For your recent booking, I bet SFO-ICN was in high season. Until delta updates the website, this link is probably the best indication for now.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver Premier, IHG Platinum
I was able to book PDX-SEA-ICN-KUL and KUL-ICN-NRT-PDX in J.

ICN-KUL-ICN-NRT was with KE.

Travel is this June and I booked it 3 weeks ago on Delta.com.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by aolj

That is not in any KE "peak season" dates. Only N.A. to Asia/Korea is "peak season" then (5.15 - 6.30) and you are not flying N.A. to Asia/Korea on KE, so this makes sense. You could have even flown back with KE then ICN-SEA then (but not so outbound).

From the tests I've done, DL does, in many ways, adhere to the KE "peak season" dates between sectors/directions, but has some weird married segment logic. E.g. when it's "high season" for travel w/in Asia (either direction), if you serach for B-C direct (e.g. ICN-NRT), it will not show up at all. However, it'll show as a segment as part of a A-D search (e.g. xxx-ICN-NRT-yyy). ICN to/from N.A. is tightly controlled and never available when the "peak season" is in a particular direction. However, flights w/in Asia are generally available during the "peak season" within, but never as direct flights. If you search for ICN-TPE, for example, you will see ICN-PVG(KE)-TPE(CZ), but not ICN-TPE direct, while if you searched for ICN-NRT you would see ICN-TPE(KE)-NRT(CI) - seeing the ICN-TPE KE flight that is not available direct, only if connecting. So, during "peak season" w/in Asia KE flights seem to be available only if connecting to another airline, but never as direct flights. That is, the very same flight is available when connecting to another airline, but not direct.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by aolj

How much in taxes did this redemption require?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver Premier, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lamont2718
How much in taxes did this redemption require?
It was $109.40
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:50 pm

Just a data point.

My outbound JFK-ICN-MNL is 7/6 which is not on a peak travel date. Was able to book this online. There are numerous flights showing on Delta.com before 6/30, which I assume would not be bookable since those are peak travel dates NA-Asia?

The return I was looking for, HKG-ICN-JFK would have been on a peak travel date - 7/7 to 8/23 for Asia to NA - could not get agents to ticket despite availability showing. I assume I have to book after 8/24 and it will then be bookable.

So, minor improvement, but wouldn't really say that there are no more Delta blackout dates for KE?

Last edited by ENFO; Apr 15, 2015 at 12:00 am
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:09 am

Just a data point.

My outbound JFK-ICN-MNL is 7/6 which is not on a peak travel date. Was able to book this online. There are numerous flights showing on Delta.com before 6/30, which I assume would not be bookable since those are peak travel dates NA-Asia?

The return I was looking for, HKG-ICN-JFK would have been on a peak travel date - 7/7 to 8/23 for Asia to NA - could not get agents to ticket despite availability showing. I assume I have to book after 8/24 and it will then be bookable.

So, minor improvement, but wouldn't really say that there are no more Delta blackout dates for KE?
Actually it's a pretty major improvement. Before, there was a total blackout for all the domestic Korea "peak" dates (of which there are a lot!) system wide for all KE flights. Now it is direction and sector specific (it seems like), which is much better than before and a major improvement.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: DL Plat; SPG Plat
The return I was looking for, HKG-ICN-JFK would have been on a peak travel date - 7/7 to 8/23 for Asia to NA - could not get agents to ticket despite availability showing.
SO frustrating that they show availability that you can't actually book. Last week I called 4 days in a row about this, couldn't get them to ticket it, they said Delta.com was going to pull the flight offline so it wasn't showing anymore. More than a week later, the flight I wanted is still showing as available but can't actually be ticketed.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by emkn45
SO frustrating that they show availability that you can't actually book. Last week I called 4 days in a row about this, couldn't get them to ticket it, they said Delta.com was going to pull the flight offline so it wasn't showing anymore. More than a week later, the flight I wanted is still showing as available but can't actually be ticketed.
Don't fret, the "Delta.com leadership team" is looking into this. Afterwards, they will all scratch their heads in puzzlement, and then do nothing to fix it.

Rinse, repeat.

Last edited by Sabai; Apr 16, 2015 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Would be REALLY REALLY nice for DL to come out and talk about blackout dates and clarify. Or perhaps they'll just keep hiding behind their opaque award enginer/calendar now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.