Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to add to an existing itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:10 am
Original Poster

We are a family of four traveling to Hawaii using Delta SkyMiles next Christmas. I am a Gold SkyMiles member so all traveling on my itinerary will receive my gold benefits.

My oldest daughter may bring a friend with us. If buy her ticket, either with cash or miles, after I have already have our itinerary is it possible to add, or link her itinerary to ours so she can also get the gold benefits?

Thanks, Ray
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can never add or combine itineraries. All tickets must be purchased together and use exactly the same flights, fare codes, etc.

However, you can link the itineraries when or after the new ticket is issued. If you call, you might be able to get EC or preferred seats for only one additional person. Similarly, if you check in together at the SkyPriority line, the agent might waive bag fees and give the priority tag. (If not, can you check the bag on your ticket?) You can all go through SkyPriority TSA lines (if you don't get PreCheck) and board with SKY by just stating that you're traveling together.

How old is the friend? If she's under 15 (or is that 15 and under???), be sure to put notes in the record that she is part of your group so that the issue of UM fees doesn't arise. Also, have documentation that her parents permit the travel and medical power of attorney or similar documents just in case there's an emergency. Depending on her age, make sure that she has a government photo ID.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by rsacket1
We are a family of four traveling to Hawaii using Delta SkyMiles next Christmas. I am a Gold SkyMiles member so all traveling on my itinerary will receive my gold benefits.

Thanks, Ray
Say what ? The lowest common person's elite status will apply in terms of whether you'll get upgrades etc.

What you need to do is make the additional reservation(s) for the same flights, then get the prn's linked.

Bob H
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BobH
Say what ? The lowest common person's elite status will apply in terms of whether you'll get upgrades etc.

What you need to do is make the additional reservation(s) for the same flights, then get the prn's linked.

Bob H
AFAIK you can only get an upgrade if no more than two people are on an itinerary. Even if you have for example GM/GM/FO in a group, I don't think all three will upgrade at FO priority but I've never had reason to try this.

I don't think the OP is planning to get the whole family upgraded to Hawaii, but I could be wrong about the GM benefits that are of concern.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK you can only get an upgrade if no more than two people are on an itinerary. Even if you have for example GM/GM/FO in a group, I don't think all three will upgrade at FO priority but I've never had reason to try this.

I don't think the OP is planning to get the whole family upgraded to Hawaii, but I could be wrong about the GM benefits that are of concern.
Correct. I was hoping to get the free checked bags and preferred seating. I was not thinking any of us would get upgraded.

Ray
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:09 pm

I have never had an issue getting EC seats and checked bags for all in my party...same or different PNR's. Just call the Gold line after all reservations are made and tell them what you need. Check-in agents are always willing to waive baggage fee for all in your party. Don't sweat it.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all!

Ray
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I just had the same situation arise. I needed to add a third person to an award reservation. I got a great rep yesterday who actually cancelled and rebooked all three tickets and forced them at low. Now that we're on the same PNR, those two will get EC with me and waived bag fees.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL
I booked two trips - one for my husband (silver) and me (gold) with $ and a second for my niece & her beau through pay with miles. The Delta FB rep was kind enough to link our PNRs and seat us all together in EC. Is it safe to assume that we'll all be able to check bags w/o the fee?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
No, it's not a safe assumption. If you all arrive at the airport together, there's a reasonable chance.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
No, it's not a safe assumption. If you all arrive at the airport together, there's a reasonable chance.
Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
I just had the same situation arise. I needed to add a third person to an award reservation. I got a great rep yesterday who actually cancelled and rebooked all three tickets and forced them at low. Now that we're on the same PNR, those two will get EC with me and waived bag fees.
I'm not surprised that the rep was competent and able to do what you say. I'm amazed three tickets were low for the whole itinerary!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Just to update, we were able to check 6 bags w/o fee on our return. We only had 4 outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.