Seahawks EWR-SEA charter diverted to MSP

Subscribe
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...927Z/KEWR/KSEA

apparently planning a 30-minute stop
http://www.delta.com/flifo/servlet/D...4&request=main
So Percy Harvin can flip off the Vikings?
Seahawks EWR-SEA charter diverted to MSP
There seemed to be 4 DL Seahawk charter flights today back to Seattle on Flightaware. Interesting how the team flight was diverted, but the B752 family flight DL8872 is still enroute. Lots of disappointed fans waiting for arrival of the team into SEA today.
Quote: ...Lots of disappointed fans waiting for arrival of the team into SEA today.
The team announced that there would be no arrival fanfare today as there was for departure.

Parade on Wednesday.
actually "for security reasons" there were explicitly no celebrations/ceremonies planned for their return to SeaTac airport today ... the parade is set for Wednesday
Quote:
actually "for security reasons" there were explicitly no celebrations/ceremonies planned for their return to SeaTac airport today ...
MSY laughs at this...
Could it be a fuel stop? A half hour isn't much time for refueling or especially to attend to a mechanical problem. If the diversion is medical or to kick off a rowdy passenger, I wouldn't have expected them to plan it so far in advance of landing rather than landing at the next airport on their planned route that can accept a 767. I was about to guess that this would mean DTW, but their flight path looks north of PIT and DTW, with a bulls eye to MSP.

It will be interesting to see whether local news picks this up.
that's what I was thinking ... the only other possibility that came to mind might be a crew change if the original crew scheduled to take the jet back to ATL would time out at SEA due to the delay out of EWR
What was that about dehubbing MSP??
Quote: that's what I was thinking ... the only other possibility that came to mind might be a crew change if the original crew scheduled to take the jet back to ATL would time out at SEA due to the delay out of EWR
They were only 26 minutes late leaving EWR.

ATL-EWR and SEA-ATL on this bird would be ferry flights I guess, with no passengers, so no need for working FAs. EWR, DTW, MSP, and SEA should all have 767 pilots as those airports all have some regular 767 service.
A fuel stop on a 763 going transcon? No way. I bet it's a timed-out crew that needs to swap out. If you look at the differences between departure times as reported by DL.dumb and FlightAware, that looks like about a 2-hour taxi out. That might just be enough to time out the crews.

DL8878 is diverting to SLC and DL8877 is diverting to DTW. These are staff & cheerleader charters, I believe.

Not surprisingly, our friends over at A.net are discussing this too: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5986372/
Quote: A fuel stop on a 763 going transcon? No way. I bet it's a timed-out crew that needs to swap out. If you look at the differences between departure times as reported by DL.dumb and FlightAware, that looks like about a 2-hour taxi out. That might just be enough to time out the crews.

DL8878 is diverting to SLC and DL8877 is diverting to DTW. These are staff & cheerleader charters, I believe.

Not surprisingly, our friends over at A.net are discussing this too: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5986372/
EWR must be having weather delays. Different diversions might make it easier to round up extra 767 pilots. Still, it would have been fun to see a convoy of three or four 767s divert to MSP today, where the weather is cold but fine.
I think the winner is the guy over at A.net who said they needed to restock the booze.
According to delta.dumb, there are no meals and no movies on the team charter that's landing at MSP about now.
Newbie question
The tail number on a photo of the Lombardi Trophy posted by Coach Carroll is of a plane that hasn't moved since arriving in Orlando yesterday. Not that I blame them, would you rather be in Orlando or Newark, but is it common for chartered flights to "hide" the tail number?