Wiki Posts
Search

Getting around Delta MQD requirements.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Southwest United AA
Getting around Delta MQD requirements.

Before trying to bark up a dead tree. I was wondering if I were to change my mailing address to a Canadian friends address in Canada. (who could easily forward mail to me in the states) if this would allow me to negate the medallion MQD status? Or would delta figure out a way to get someone doing this as well?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
All address changes outside the US now have to be done manually. You have to usually send in some proof of address stating that you live there.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL FO; A3 *G; AA PLT; et cetera
CC spend or real proof of non-US address

DL Amex plus manufactured spend (if needed)? If needed for whatever level you're trying to hit, i.e. no need to worry about it if you will clearly hit the MQM/MQS + MQD tier you're aiming for.

From what has been mentioned on FT, DL requires solid proof of the non-US address that is more than simply an accommodation address (for example, DL requires proof of work or residence permits in the foreign country, pay stubs, or the like).
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
How do you think you would get around the fact that you have a Canadian address but all your travel originates in a US city? Do you really think Delta would not notice that?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL FO; A3 *G; AA PLT; et cetera
Originally Posted by hmoleman1
Before trying to bark up a dead tree. I was wondering if I were to change my mailing address to a Canadian friends address in Canada. (who could easily forward mail to me in the states) if this would allow me to negate the medallion MQD status? Or would delta figure out a way to get someone doing this as well?
Oh, and, Welcome to FT!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
How do you think you would get around the fact that you have a Canadian address but all your travel originates in a US city? Do you really think Delta would not notice that?
I'm willing to bet they have people looking out for this sort of thing.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:21 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: AA CK Spouse, BAEC Silver , HH Dia, BonVoy Titanium, (former)Caesars7*, (former)Wynn Black, HR Icon
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Exactly.

and, Delta has given everyone an easy (perfect) "gameable" out to MQDs in 2014. Just spend $25K on an applicable AMEX credit card product. @:-)

I really don't know why people keep looking for hard ways to circumvent MQDs, when there is one VERY EASY way.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by hmoleman1
I think the first issue is you want to "get around" something. Not a wise decision IMHO.

Further, if you change to your friend's Canadian address and most (all) of your flights depart ex-USA, they may be a quick signal you may not be living in Canada if DL elected to do an audit.

There's some discussion here on changing address:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...efinitive.html

Specifically, from DL's T&C (LINK):

Name and Address Changes

Each member will be responsible for letting Delta know of any name, email or address change on his or her account. Please ensure that the name in your SkyMiles account (first, middle and last) matches exactly the name on your government-issued photo ID used when you travel.

Address Change

Country of residence is determined by the primary address in the member’s SkyMiles account at the time of qualification for Medallion status. Documentation may be required for some types of address changes. Please see the SkyMiles Membership Guide for more information and a list of acceptable documentation. Delta reserves the right to audit an account at any time for residency requirements, request further supporting documentation and update the address for any member's SkyMiles account using the National Change of Address (NCOA) data filed by relocating postal customers, but shall have no obligation to do so. Accounts found in violation are subject to penalty, up to and including termination of Medallion status and closure of the SkyMiles account.

For address changes, a member may update their account address information using their Delta password by visiting My Profile, editing their address and attaching any required documentation through the online form. You may also be able to update your account address by submitting the information via fax, mail, or by phone using your password. Members should include their SkyMiles number and signature on all requests and documentation.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:17 am

The only way to pull this off is if the OP lived in say Buffalo, Burlington, or Detroit. I have coworkers in Windsor, Ontari-ari-ario that originate all travel in the US, and refuse to fly from expensive Canadian cities.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Yes. It would be fraud and could not only cause you to lose status ex post but also to have your account terminated, with the loss of all miles, upgrade certs, etc. Don't try it.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Exactly.

and, Delta has given everyone an easy (perfect) "gameable" out to MQDs in 2014. Just spend $25K on an applicable AMEX credit card product. @:-)

I really don't know why people keep looking for hard ways to circumvent MQDs, when there is one VERY EASY way.
Although this may be an "easy" way for some to negate the MQD requirement, I would bet there are many like me where this is just not realistic. Even if I could put rent and all utilities on the AMEX I would not hit $25,000 for the year. I do not travel for business or have business expenses to pad the total, and I live frugally. So my leisure hobby of low-cost travel will be altered and airline loyalty seems to be one thing that is going to change. I will still have status through 2014, but I am thinking that 2015 may be a good time to rediscover the joy of road trips.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:03 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: AA CK Spouse, BAEC Silver , HH Dia, BonVoy Titanium, (former)Caesars7*, (former)Wynn Black, HR Icon
Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
Although this may be an "easy" way for some to negate the MQD requirement, I would bet there are many like me where this is just not realistic. Even if I could put rent and all utilities on the AMEX I would not hit $25,000 for the year. I do not travel for business or have business expenses to pad the total, and I live frugally. So my leisure hobby of low-cost travel will be altered and airline loyalty seems to be one thing that is going to change. I will still have status through 2014, but I am thinking that 2015 may be a good time to rediscover the joy of road trips.
hint : friends and family @:-)

Since you mention you could charge all rent and utilities; I have to imagine you would get rather close to the $25K. Perhaps, prepay your mobile and utilities for an extra six months also. And, of course, booking friends & family airline tickets on your card.

and, last resort, manufactured spending.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
+1....25K is a TON to spend on AMEX when my rental company doesn't take credit cards for rent...can't even put groceries on it since Winco only accepts debit cards...for me the answer for 2014 travel was to switch to AS--a no brainer (especially being based in PDX).
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Delta has given everyone an easy (perfect) "gameable" out to MQDs in 2014. Just spend $25K on an applicable AMEX credit card product. @:-)

I assume you also mean that if our normal cc spending isn't enough to hit $25,000 on a Delta Amex card, then supplement it with manufactured spending. But that's the rub, it doesn't look that easy or particularly safe -- Don't want Amex to cancel the card. So much of the mgf'd spend forum is about chasing pennies with 5% cash-back cards.

All I need is simple "how to" focus on Amex as the target card.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by rwoman
I think the first issue is you want to "get around" something. Not a wise decision IMHO.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.