Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta plans 18 new daily flights from Love Field

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

In today's installment of "Really, DOJ, we want a piece of the US/AA divestitures," Delta is revealing the schedule it wants to fly from Love Field once the Wright Amendment expires in Oct. 2014.

In addition to its existing 5x daily service to Atlanta, Delta wants to add 16 new flights at Love field to LAX, LGA, MSP and DTW, as well as add two more flights a day to ATL. Of course, it can only do this if DOJ allows it to buy the gates it has leased from AA...

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2176

I suspect we'll see a similar press release once US/AA announce the cuts they're making at DCA. Isn't M&A fun!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
DAL-ATL seems like a good fit for the Boeing 717. I would imagine CR7/CR9 for the other cities. In the end I just see this as DL trying to squeeze the competition for as much as they can and this new service being discontinued fairly quickly. Look at Houston Hobby, DL only has service to ATL and that is all I think they will ultimately have out of DAL.

Outside of ATL Delta really doesn't have much service to DFW. Looking at the schedule today MSP is all on RJ's and of the six DTW flights half are operated by small guage mainline planes and the other three are RJ's. CVG is operated by three large RJ's. LGA and JFK are also operated by large RJ's. MEM still has two CRJ-200's but let's be realistic; those flights will be gone very soon.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
DAL-ATL seems like a good fit for the Boeing 717. I would imagine CR7/CR9 for the other cities.

Outside of ATL Delta really doesn't have much service to DFW. Looking at the schedule today MSP is all on RJ's and of the six DTW flights half are operated by small guage mainline planes and the other three are RJ's. CVG is operated by three large RJ's. LGA and JFK are also operated by large RJ's.
I agree ^
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Perhaps this is where that disappearing LGA-MEM/ROA slot ends up
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TurtleSVS
Perhaps this is where that disappearing LGA-MEM/ROA slot ends up
They still don't have the gates at DAL.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Outside of ATL Delta really doesn't have much service to DFW. .
Sad really, since DFW used to be a large DL hub.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Kind of surprised they're going to the 'ghetto' at DAL instead of DFW. Maybe they'll move the DFW operations over to DAL and open a skyclub.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Maybe this will cause WN to wake up and add some more routes out of ATL.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance & Starwood
Originally Posted by rylan
Kind of surprised they're going to the 'ghetto' at DAL instead of DFW. Maybe they'll move the DFW operations over to DAL and open a skyclub.
Why 'ghetto'? DAL just opened a really nice brand new terminal that's going to house all the carriers. Right now Southwest has all their flights out of there. There's another terminal or extension under construction right now where United and Delta will move to once the right amendment goes away later in 2014. DAL is so much more convenient than going to DFW for people working near downtown.

The new DAL terminal is actually really nice, reminds me of the D terminal at DFW. I'd imagine they'll build clubs as well.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by elkapong
They still don't have the gates at DAL.
It'll be almost a year before anyone can fly commercial flights with more than 53 pax into DAL except for the handful nearby states.

Apparently you haven't seen the LOVEEVOLution (looks better when you see the poster). Love Field is pretty much completely redone.

Originally Posted by onaes
Why 'ghetto'? DAL just opened a really nice brand new terminal that's going to house all the carriers.
DAL is so much more convenient than going to DFW for people working near downtown.
As someone who used to fly to Dallas for work every once in a while in my previous life, I would much rather forego the club for ease of access (in my case President's Club)
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:16 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
For those headed to Dallas rather than other parts of the Metroplex, Dallas Love is to DFW as Washington National is to Dulles for those headed to DC itself. Very convenient and close to downtown Dallas and far from a "ghetto" as a new terminal has been/is being built. These could prove to be very popular business routes, particularly the LGA and LAX flights, for those averse to flying WN. While they may start out as CR9 routes, the potential is there for this to support mainline service. When DFW opened almost 40 years ago, the area's traffic was a lot less congested than it is today and the concept of DFW made sense as a regional airport. Now, with huge growth in the area, getting from Dallas to DFW can be a real pain at peak times. I would add that this would be an excellent route to try of DL can get its hands on some of those DCA slots.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Agreed. Love is renovating substantially. UA and PMCO has flown out of there for 25 years, and Delta expansion could push UA to expand the number of flights as well. Love is easier for access to downtown Dallas. That is for sure.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
The new terminal has a Whataburger.

All good in my book.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by apodo77
The new terminal has a Whataburger.

All good in my book.
Really? No Smashburger or Charley's cheesesteak?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:55 pm
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
How I wish there was a SLC-DAL route in there. The SLC flights from DFW are packed and with the exception of the occasional A319 are always RJ's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.