Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to BusinessElite Mileage Redemption and Award Hold policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to BusinessElite Mileage Redemption and Award Hold policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by rylan
Interesting how the changes are only to low BE levels... since availability is horrible there so I can't see it actually 'costing' DL that much, or the change reducing mile balances by any significant amount.
i think this certainly impacts the partner redemption - which has been the go-to way of flying up front for low miles... so, while the DL "cost" is likely the same, the customer gets hit with another 10-25% miles... neat-o
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
More than one million Award Seats per year are held by members who don’t use them which negatively impacts other members’ Award Seat access.
This is the same bilge water Michelle spouted when you instituted the T-72 rule. Did that not fix the problem?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Just tried dummy booking SAN/CDG over Xmas/New year period and the few low options available come back at 100k
Doesn't go into effect until June 2014. (Meaning for bookings after that date...)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Doesn't go into effect until June 2014. (Meaning for bookings after that date...)
Gotcha! Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Good news is it appears that Delta is going back to providing FULL AF/KL availability starting in June 2014 instead of the BS subset that they have been (i.e. there has been almost nil AF/KL availability while partners such as AS had oodles of it).

Check on SFO-AMS (a route that classic "O" space has been zeroed out on forever - now in June I see availability on DL.dumb that matches the AS website.

Overall if the AF/KL **FULL** availability is back then net-net I think this cost increase is actually a WASH, maybe even a NET positive since AF release soooooo many premium cabin seats on the same flights. Combine that with KL's news 747 flat bed which hasn't even been an option (a product I'd gladly pay +25k r/t to experience).

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a VA increase in availability from June '14 onward or actually this would be a TRUE enhanceement. So overall for TATL this is a positive, for Africa this is a positive. For Asia and Australia this increase is a negative - which is why I say NET-NET its a wash.

I'd much rather have 10 options for TATL J space @ 125k with multiple seats on them - than zero or maybe 1 @100k.

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
Delta, gahhhh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The fleecing continues.

What's the over-under on how many times Dwayne will return to this thread to post anything further?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:11 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by rylan
Interesting how the changes are only to low BE levels... since availability is horrible there so I can't see it actually 'costing' DL that much, or the change reducing mile balances by any significant amount.
In addition to the already mentioned factor of partner award redemption, I also wonder if this change will allow DL to make some changes on how they account for their Skymiles liability in their books?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:12 am

"More than one million Award Seats per year are held by members who don’t use them which negatively impacts other members’ Award Seat access."
Rule/excuse number one: blame the customers.
Rule/excuse number two: use the same rule/excuse for every 'enhancement'.

Remember the 72-hour rule?

We’ll be checking back periodically for your comments or clarifications if something isn’t clear.
Please define 'periodically'. Thanks.

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by motytrah
And that is why I moved my substantial credit card spend to Amex and SPG.
Just got my SPG AX - everything but DL tickets will be going there from here on out......

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
The fleecing continues.

What's the over-under on how many times Dwayne will return to this thread to post anything further?
No matter the number, I am taking the UNDER!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
For travel after 6/1/14, the new award level applies, regardless of booking date.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by javabytes
The fleecing continues.

I'd set it at 0.5 and take the under. DL's "reps" who post on this board are an absolute joke. If bad news, paste it in and never come back. If an actual enhancement, sure they'll post about it but even then there is no interaction with the community. Why even bother?

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Today we will make updates to delta.com in two content areas that you’ll be interested in, so we’re posting here as a heads up.

BusinessElite® low mileage redemption:
Many of you have experienced first hand our significant investments in products over the past several years. In June 2014, we will be the only U.S. carrier to offer full flat-bed seats with direct aisle access in Business Class across our entire wide-body fleet. Our premium cabins will also soon offer new, on-demand in-flight entertainment options and we are in the process of adding in-flight Wi-Fi on our long-haul international aircraft scheduled to be complete by 2015. We've also partnered with premium brands Westin and Tumi on new bedding and amenity kits and we're introducing new dining options.

As a result, we’ve recognized the need for adjustments to our low mileage redemption levels for select international Award Tickets in BusinessElite. The mileage redemption adjustments are effective today for Award Travel on or after June 1, 2014. Please check our Award charts for updated mileage levels later today.

Award Hold policy change
We will continue to offer our 24-hour Risk-free Cancellation option for Award Tickets, but will discontinue our Award Ticket hold option. More than one million Award Seats per year are held by members who don’t use them which negatively impacts other members’ Award Seat access. The new policy will be effective for Award Ticket reservations made on or after September 9, 2013, and at that time, Award Seats may no longer be held without ticketing.

We’ll be checking back periodically for your comments or clarifications if something isn’t clear.
This is BS and you know it, Dwayne.

You implemented a 72-hour no cancel rule for the same reason -- that has not affected award availability. Not being able to hold an award is unacceptable. Delta's website is deplorable and can't even book a straight roundtrip sometimes. Your airline has the worst award availability (according to EVERY travel publication). I have to argue with Medallion phone agents to try to convince them that KLM is a partner with Delta when I want to book an award to DEL.

I can semi-live with the inflation in award prices, but that's only because it'll mean I get rid of these stupid miles faster and leave this airline full of snake-oil salesmen.

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Many of you have experienced first hand our significant investments in products over the past several years. In June 2014, we will be the only U.S. carrier to offer full flat-bed seats with direct aisle access in Business Class across our entire wide-body fleet. Our premium cabins will also soon offer new, on-demand in-flight entertainment options and we are in the process of adding in-flight Wi-Fi on our long-haul international aircraft scheduled to be complete by 2015. We've also partnered with premium brands Westin and Tumi on new bedding and amenity kits and we're introducing new dining options.

As a result, we’ve recognized the need for adjustments to our low mileage redemption levels for select international Award Tickets in BusinessElite.
Makes sense, except the J service and food is hardly elite. The hard product is good but you should improve the entire experience before charging extra for it. I am getting really tired of spending $7-8K and being starved when I get off the airplane.

As if it were not already almost impossible to find low J on an award now the price goes up without added value?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.