Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's up with all the call button beeps on these trips to Europe??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

The last 3 flights from Atlanta to AMS had customer service call button beeps every 5 minutes. I lost track after 57 beeps for the flight last week. I couldn't sleep for $hit all these flights and I had noise cancelling headsets on too!! I asked the attendants and they said it happens every flight since the entertainment system is confusing and people press that button all the time by accident.

You would think they would make an announcement before take off or do something so it's not so annoying.

Am I the only one that notices this??

I guess it's time to write Delta another letter!!

Last edited by wspfan; Aug 10, 2013 at 6:34 pm Reason: ...
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:08 pm

I have gone crazy with that as well, as do the flight attendants.

Some of the wrong button pushing may be inadvertent as people move around in their seats and press on arm rests, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by wspfan

And propose them to do what? People are dumb and they don't listen. They could just add one more announcement that people won't pay attention to and then still do it anyways.

I barely hear it anymore, but as a suggestion, with your headsets on, program some sleeping music either on the IFE or on your phone/mp3/ipad to let it drown out the noise if it bothers you that much.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wspfan
The last 3 flights from Atlanta to AMS had customer service call button beeps every 5 minutes. I lost track after 57 beeps for the flight last week. I couldn't sleep for $hit all these flights and I had noise cancelling headsets on too!! I asked the attendants and they said it happens every flight since the entertainment system is confusing and people press that button all the time by accident.

You would think they would make an announcement before take off or do something so it's not so annoying.

I haven't flown ATL AMS but I've flown numerous TATL and transcon flights in the last few months and haven't heard any excessive beeps (I presume you mean the flight attendant call button by the way).

I'm sensitive to noises like that so it would have driven me crazy.

I know on some planes the FA call button is near the button for the overhead lamp but I've never run into anyone who has confused it with other buttons for IFE.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by CALlegacy
I have gone crazy with that as well, as do the flight attendants.

Some of the wrong button pushing may be inadvertent as people move around in their seats and press on arm rests, etc.
Especially a problem on the 777. My wallet pushes the button all the time if I am riding in Y. Really dumb placement inside the side of the seat next to people's legs.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
This was a huge pet peeve of mine when I used to fly on Delta. I'm now flying mostly on UA and very rarely hear that beep. And when I do, the volume isn't so high.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Buttons in the armrest...
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:57 pm

It may not be possible, but perhaps DL could turn off the chime during overnight flights and only have a light flash in the galley. Response times might increase, but surely that would be better than 60ish chimes per flight (if that is accurate).
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Especially a problem on the 777. My wallet pushes the button all the time if I am riding in Y. Really dumb placement inside the side of the seat next to people's legs.
There are buttons in the armrest on the 777 in Y? That is news to me. I know on the 767s with AVOD, you push the right button on the PTV, which opens a menu with the channel, volume, reading light, and FA call buttons.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by will2288
It may not be possible, but perhaps DL could turn off the chime during overnight flights and only have a light flash in the galley. Response times might increase, but surely that would be better than 60ish chimes per flight (if that is accurate).
^

But that would be logical.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Had this happen to me on LAX-SYD not too long ago. Seemed annoying but it died down after most people went to sleep. Of course midway through some moron started taking flash photographs ... in business.

I agree with the poster who suggested programming some sleeping music. That plus noise cancelling headphones has typically been enough to allow me to zone it out. YMMV though.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Quote:

Originally Posted by HongKonger

There are buttons in the armrest on the 777 in Y? That is news to me. I know on the 767s with AVOD, you push the right button on the PTV, which opens a menu with the channel, volume, reading light, and FA call buttons.
That menu is on the 777 AVOD too, but there are also buttons on the sides of the armrests (at least the fixed ones in the bulkhead/exit rows) right where your legs can hit them if you shift in your seat or rise/sit. Or am I thinking of the 747 again?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
A little sensitive, perhaps? If you sleep that lightly, something else on the plane will surely wake you up anyhow.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta, United
Seems I was on a 747 DTW->NGO with the call button in the arm rest. I set it off numerous times on accident. And that was even with a pillow on the arm rest. Yes, it was annoying for all.

Airline mfg do a descent job of building a plane that can fly but when comes to the small PAX items in the cabin they really suck, bulkheads, AVOD electronics under seats, seat supports, etc ...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Seems I was on a 747 DTW->NGO with the call button in the arm rest. I set it off numerous times on accident. And that was even with a pillow on the arm rest. Yes, it was annoying for all.

Airline mfg do a descent job of building a plane that can fly but when comes to the small PAX items in the cabin they really suck, bulkheads, AVOD electronics under seats, seat supports, etc ...
AMEN!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.