Wiki Posts
Search

How do AF OpUps work with DL elite?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:58 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Cool How do AF OpUps work with DL elite?

Just arrived at JFK for AF007. I'm in Business with a Z fare, DM status, on a delta ticket (006). The flight is oversold by 15 and the gate agent said that's the number they are over of people that have actually checked in at the airport, etc. There are 9 seats in La Premiere and everything else is 0'd out. Does AF consider DL elites in an opup situation? I have no problem with business class, more just curious if as a DM, am I a candidate to be moved up. Flight boards in an hour
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
They will consider their own elites before looking at other airline's elites. I wouldn't rule it out, but I wouldn't expect it either.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I was op-upped once on AF, as a DL gold. One data point.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
From what and to what class?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I got one from Premium Voyageur to Affaires in 2011 JFK-CDG...I was DM at the time.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
I was upgraded from J to F years ago. Nice to be in a four-person cabin .
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
They will consider their own elites before looking at other airline's elites. I wouldn't rule it out, but I wouldn't expect it either.
Not always the case. In my case, CDG-JFK this past summer, I was upgraded from Premium Economy to Affaires a few hours before arriving to the airport, while someone else on the same fare who was a FB Plat did not get upgraded. When we asked during check-in, the agent told us that the system automatically did it and they had no idea how these upgrades were processed.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From what and to what class?
Voyaguer to Affairs (was no premium econ)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:52 am
Used to be 'jwienner'
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Ended up not getting a bump. GA said they moved up 6 on full J fares (I was on a Z)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:01 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by jwienner
Ended up not getting a bump. GA said they moved up 6 on full J fares (I was on a Z)
Damn! Was totally rooting for you!

La Première a pretty "special product,"
more so, because it's so hard to procure through standard miles&points avenues (at least at a normal redemption level).

Best part, would have been access to the La Première lounge at CDG. Probably one of the top lounges in the world. (But, unfortunately, not one of the top first products in the world.)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I was, too, as a GM. From Premium Economy to Affaires.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by jwienner
Just arrived at JFK for AF007. I'm in Business with a Z fare, DM status, on a delta ticket (006). The flight is oversold by 15 and the gate agent said that's the number they are over of people that have actually checked in at the airport, etc. There are 9 seats in La Premiere and everything else is 0'd out. Does AF consider DL elites in an opup situation? I have no problem with business class, more just curious if as a DM, am I a candidate to be moved up. Flight boards in an hour

What kind of upgrades? Do AF and KL upgrade free of charge? It never happened to me - neither as a AF Plat nor as an AF Gold. So, what are you hoping for?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Damn! Was totally rooting for you!

La Première a pretty "special product,"
more so, because it's so hard to procure through standard miles&points avenues (at least at a normal redemption level).

Best part, would have been access to the La Première lounge at CDG. Probably one of the top lounges in the world. (But, unfortunately, not one of the top first products in the world.)
As an OpUp I don't think you're picked up by car and are allowed in the Flounge.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Two this fall from S fares in PE to business.
August from CDG to PVG. Got the upgrade in the AF Salon at CDG while trying to finagle a miles upgrade. Booked on AF 05 ticket stock.
Last month from CDG to SGN. Reprinted my boarding pass at a kiosk at CDG after arriving from OTP and it showed 5B. Booked on DL 06 ticket stock.
I'm a Delta diamond million miler.

Last edited by mot29; Jan 2, 2014 at 4:52 am
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
As a DM I've had AF upgrade me a couple of times.

LHR-CDG - regular Y to the "PV" pax section with open middle seats.
DXB-CDG - I'd spent ~100EUR to upgrade from Y to Premium Voyaguer. Flight was oversold and they bumped me to J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.