Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
DELTA Link: Same Day Travel Changes | Delta Air Lines [as per web site July 2015, 2015]
Same-Day Confirmed

When You Need to Change Your Flight

Eligibility
  • You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure.
  • If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.
  • If you have an Economy fare, you can only be rebooked in the same fare class as your original flight.
  • If you have a premium cabin fare, -- including Delta One™, First and Business Class -- you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin
  • Award Tickets are same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Origin, destination or co-terminal (LGA to JFK) changes are not same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Same-Day Confirmed changes from connection to non-stop flights are not permitted.
  • Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day confirmed travel changes.

Fees

Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members:
  • $50 USD Same-Day Change Fee - If your requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible
  • Applicable Change Fee -These fees vary based on your ticket and its fare rules, and will be due if you have a restricted fare and your requested flight is outside of same-day travel eligibility. Change fees are dictated by the fare rules.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members:
  • $50 USD Same-Day Confirmed Fee Waived - If the requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible the $50 fee will be waived.
  • Applicable Change Fee - These fees vary based on your ticket and its fare rules, and will be due if you have a restricted fare and your requested flight is outside of same-day travel eligibility. Change fees are dictated by the fare rules.

Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible to make same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status, for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015.

Additional Rules
  • Medallion complimentary upgrades do not transfer to your rebooked ticket.
  • Trip Extras or seats purchased for the original flight do not transfer to your rebooked ticket. Please note the original terms and conditions for Trip Extras, Delta Comfort+™ and Preferred Seats.
  • The same-day travel program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply.
Same-Day Standby

When There Are No Seats Available

If you are unable to secure a new flight(s) with the same-day confirmed option, you can choose to fly standby with the same-day standby option.

Eligibility
  • Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.
  • Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members may only fly same-day standby for a flight that is earlier than their original flight.
  • Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may standby for a flight any time on the same day as their original flight.
  • No routing changes are allowed.
  • Eligible same-day standby flights must be on the same day as the original flight, starting 12am of the same day to 11:59pm the same day.
  • Change is only permitted based on the original ticketed paid cabin. For example, customers confirmed in RU class may only standby for flights in the Economy cabin
  • Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day standby travel changes.
  • You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.

Fees

Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members:
  • $50 USD Standby Fee - Standby fee will be collected, but your card will not be charged until you are assigned a seat on the standby flight

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members:
  • $50 USD Standby Fee Waived

Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible to make same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status, for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015.

Additional Rules
  • Standby not permitted to/from Canada
  • Standby permitted for multi-segment flights. Customers must stand by for each individual flight segment. Standby fees are not refundable once you are assigned a seat on the first standby segment.
Same-Day Standby Upgrades

The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings:
  • Within North America (except JFKLAX, JFKSEA and JFKSFO).
  • To/from Aruba, Bermuda, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Los Cabos (Mexico), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Nassau (Bahamas), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), San Juan (Puerto Rico), and St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
  • Between Atlanta and Costa Rica, St. Maarten and St. Lucia
  • Between Cancun (Mexico)and Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska
Code:
Traveling                 Y/B/M Fares     S/H/Q/K/L Fares  U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles            $49             $119             $169

501 to 1,000 miles        $79             $149             $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles      $99             $209             $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles      $149            $249             $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles      $239            $269             $359

3,001 miles and up        $329            $369             $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling               Y/B/M Fares  S/H/Q/K/L Fares  U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles    $239         $269             $359

3,001 miles and up      $329         $369             $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling                     Y / B / M / H / Q/ K Fares

0 to 500 miles                $50

501 to 1,000 miles            $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles          $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles          $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles          $225

3,001 miles and up            $350
Print Wikipost

Improvements to Same-Day Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
24 hour free changes are a GREAT benefit!
If you can use them... under the old system I could pretty reliably expect SDC availability and not have to worry about fare buckets. Under the new system, I pretty much assume SDC won't be available. ie: I went from ~99% certainty to ~1% certainty.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I would gladly take back the old benefits. Please stop the enhancements and keep things that worked for top elites.

That being said, it really bothers me that I have to pay $75 as an AA EXP to do a SDC... However, there is no fare class restriction.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
OK, I've slogged through the other thread on this, and now all of this thread...could someone please tell me if this is the gist of this: to SDS, you must keep the same itinerary...to SDC, you can alter the routing to get you to the same final destination.

Now, with the change that was announced today, instead of 3 hours to find matching fare classes to SDC into to get home, we will have 24 hours.

If I understand this correctly, if I am flying ATL-SFO non-stop in the afternoon, but want to get home early, I can't SDC to an earlier flight unless the fare class is the same...However, I could, at T24 SDC into an earlier ATL-SLC-SFO ,or ATL-LAX-SFO or the like if the fare classes were the same on both segments.

Am I correct or did I miss something. ALso, sorry if I missed it, but does the 24 hours start prior to the originally scheduled flight, or does it start 24 hours before the flight(s) you want to SDC into? Sorry if I missed that above. Thanks again.

Thanks.
Read the original post

2.By late August, you will also be able to request a same-day change up to 24 hours before your original flight departure time

Last edited by BusTrav8yrs; Jul 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm Reason: Quoted wrong person
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 18sas
But you were only taking the last seat if it was within 3 hours of takeoff. Most people - and apparently DL at one time - concluded that the chance of an actual sale of that seat was very small.

Right, it only lasted 10+ years....
Just this past Sunday, I purchased the very last seat on a flight (F1P1A1Y0) about an hour and a half before departure... It does happen. Also as I indicated in my previous comment, if a flight was Y1, it was likely overbooked and now that T fare paying passenger was costing DL a VDB voucher.

On the 10 year comment, I was getting all geared up to blast you that it hasn't been that long, but in looking it up it has been 10 years... HA! My how time flies!

It was good while it lasted, but in the age of packed flights, industry consolidation, and expensive oil this cutback (yes, I agree it's a cutback) does not bother me nearly as much as T-72, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
It's a move in the right direction, 24 hours is nice; however, I really don't think the lower classes of service are ever available 24 hours out. My flight today was over by 10 and several DM's in the back (I was 2nd on the list but did not make it).....and this is a TUESDAY
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bennos
If you can use them... under the old system I could pretty reliably expect SDC availability and not have to worry about fare buckets. Under the new system, I pretty much assume SDC won't be available. ie: I went from ~99% certainty to ~1% certainty.
Did you often switch from early morning flights to afternoon flights?

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Read the original post

2.By late August, you will also be able to request a same-day change up to 24 hours before your original flight departure time

Oops...missed that part of the post. I guess this will not be as good as the original SDC program was, but at least the T24 Rule will hopefully provide us with more options than the T3 rule did. Thanks.

When I talked to a rep about this on the phone a few weeks ago, she couldn't been more exasperated with the complaint. She literally said "I wish gas was $2 a gallon but that's not happening any more, sweetie."
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DIA, HHonors DIA, Marriott PlA
Allow me to take a bow!!!!
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta 2MM DM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Thank you Delta! For me, the changes in SDC were a significant negative. I had used SDC alot over the years. Recently I've had to go standby alot and I sure have not been happy about it. This helps to correct things. In fact, the 24 hr prior to flight change is better than it was before.

Tracy
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Angry

Originally Posted by jkatzen
If they would eliminate the $200 change fee and allow us to buy up to an available class day-of in order to SDC, I'd say that theoretical policy would be a fair replacement for the old one.
+1 to this, and +1 for the need to have SDC work on P/A fares if both the coach and first inventory are available. When i voluntarily pay extra to buy up, and it ends up costing me options day of, that p*****es me off..........

Flying a nonstop route on A fares week after next, and assuming i'm stuck with what i booked, because the new SDC is still broken.

Whenever i try to SDC, it seems there's one or two useless FREE options, several for $1100, and nothing in between. No one is clicking that $1100 option, and even as a money grab (which this still is) that's money left on the table...
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
First positive enhancement (though small) by DL in a long time. ^

^ to proactive communications, maybe DL is turning a new leaf. Just got the email.

Still looking for feedback? Please change to any fare class for DM's.

Haven't used SDC once since the change in rules all because of fare class. This new change won't affect me much as SDC still limited due to fare class.

Am I correct in saying change for DM's now gets rid of the limit to 3 hours? In reality I guess this change isn't that much, just doesn't make us call over and over again, right?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by javabytes
For your example, the DTW routing is more direct... to the tune of 250 miles.
Is that the new math? 1034 via DTW and 1189 via MSP. I guess if you're using miles earned, the MSP routing is 250 more, but it's not by miles flown. Also, the actual time difference departure to arrival is a whopping nine minutes.

Originally Posted by javabytes
And coincidentally, DL 3971 DTW-IAD tomorrow is an example of higher fare classes not always having availability when lower ones do:
And just over an hour later, it's back to sanity. I suspect there's some temporary, behind-the-scenes reason why those inventory anomalies occur.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Dup post

Last edited by mnredfox; Jul 23, 2013 at 8:30 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:04 pm

Deleted

Last edited by mnredfox; Jul 23, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.