Wiki Posts
Search

Weird Flight...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Weird Flight...

So last night leg 1, DL 1053 PBI-ATL, MD88. It was on time which is a rarity so I was pleased.

Get on, lead FA is a little older, wearing a BIG plastic pointsettia in her pocket. She is a little strange. Trying to be extra funny. Thanked and welcomed veterans before pre-flight safety spiel. Referenced 'God' in it several times - does not offend me just not sure everyone appreciates.

Taxiing - bev cart in F rolling all over. She forgot to stow. Also, never picked up our empty PDBs.

Takeoff - coffee filter box comes flying at us down the aisle. Luckily decanter stayed in place.

During flight, picked up someones little mutt and carried it around. Dirty, weird.

Pre-landing - was still up and moving around about 60 seconds prior to landing....hurring to advise us that our seatbelts should be fastened and tray tables up. A little late?

Overall, I guess a little levity is welcomed from the usualy stodginess but she seemed like a complete scatter-brain!

What topped this flight off is the landing. I noticed our sink rate/glide path really fast as we approached the apron. He HIT the gas.....but too little too late. Slammed onto the runway well ahead of the piano keys. Very hard landing. The FA of course yelled into the PA, "Well, wasn't THAT special" which cracked everyone up including the pilots which I heard laughing through the door.

She then proceeded to sing, "Ain't No Sunshine When You're Gone" as we taxiied in.

I had to check that I was not on SW.

Anyone else on this flight or had this crazy woman as their FA?

Last edited by orr333; Jul 20, 2013 at 10:29 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:59 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
LoL!!!

What an interesting flight!!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:06 am

Did the tail stay on?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:16 am
mdb

Originally Posted by misterbean
Did the tail stay on?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:20 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by orr333
...The FA of course yelled into the PA, "Well, wasn't THAT special" which cracked everyone up including the pilots which I heard laughing through the door...
Sounds like the Church Lady from SNL in the '80s has a new job!

On a serious note, a landing in front of the "piano keys" is something of concern as it points to an unstabilized approach. I'm taking your word about this at face value here but none of this sounds all that good from a safety perspective -- you've got an unsecured beverage cart and a short landing. As a pilot myself, I understand the need for a "firm" touchdown in certain circumstances but landing short of the piano keys is a big no-no and not at all humorous.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by orr333
Taxiing - Also, never picked up our empty PDBs.

What topped this flight off is the landing. I noticed our sink rate/glide path really fast as we approached the apron. He HIT the gas.....but too little too late. Slammed onto the runway well ahead of the piano keys. Very hard landing.
I have had my PDB many times while taking off on DL.

Sometime the landing in SLC has been a lot of fun too, we have hit pretty hard, but never slammed as you say.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Did she get into the F liquor supply (and had the pilots share?) ? As you said, a little a personal approach isn't all bad. But the lose galley items and the short landings are all safety concerns.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Reminds of a Continental flight I took from PDX-IAH back in 2007.

Older, kookie lady was the FA up front serving PDB's. She dilly dallied around so long she didn't make it to her seat on take off (very short taxi in PDX).

Probably wasn't supposed to be funny but the look on her face and struggle to get to the seat going down the runway was a little humorous. She made it back and strapped in.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Back in May I was in the Y bulkhead on a 76U. We were super delayed getting out of JFK and in their rush, the FAs didn't secure one of the overhead bins over the galley area, where all the J water bottles were stored. So we throttle up and as we roar down the runway, the door pops open. I don't know if anyone else noticed (it was right in front of me), but as we rotated I heard the bottles shifting, and as we climbed out and the landing gear retracted, one came loose and then they all came tumbling out, like a landslide. The first few just fell and rolled, then the next batch nearly leapt out of the storage space and flew through the air, narrowly missing some of our heads. I think some rolled all the way back to the middle lavs.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by us2

On a serious note, a landing in front of the "piano keys" is something of concern as it points to an unstabilized approach. I'm taking your word about this at face value here but none of this sounds all that good from a safety perspective -- you've got an unsecured beverage cart and a short landing. As a pilot myself, I understand the need for a "firm" touchdown in certain circumstances but landing short of the piano keys is a big no-no and not at all humorous.
To the OP:
Just so we're all using the same definitions, when you say piano keys, are you referring to the 12 (?) thin lines that are located at the beginning of the runway, before the runway number, that mean "runway begins HERE"?

If so, landing before them = BAD.

Please tell me that you didn't hear any crashing noises as the plane plowed through the approach lighting systems...?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Once on a CO flight (Express Jet ERJ 145) the FA was so distracted it landed with her still stood up- not good!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by us2
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
To the OP:
Just so we're all using the same definitions, when you say piano keys, are you referring to the 12 (?) thin lines that are located at the beginning of the runway, before the runway number, that mean "runway begins HERE"?

If so, landing before them = BAD.

Please tell me that you didn't hear any crashing noises as the plane plowed through the approach lighting systems...?
I did some looking - I may have my definitions mixed up - we were well ahead of the aiming stripes. To be on the same page, referring to FIG 2-3-1 here http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publi...m/aim0203.html we landed between the threshhold markings and the touchdown zone marking. What I have always called the piano keys are the wider, aiming stripes and I was incorrect in that I assume.

We were definitely a little shorter than usual, and coming down faster than desireable as noted by the last second power up. The interesting thing is that the MD88/90 D95 set usually tend to float, not wanting to stall out so to have this one coming in as hard as it did was alarming.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
It's REALLY difficult to gauge where you touch down in an aircraft as a passenger. There are also touch down targets that look like "piano keys" but aren't.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
On MCO-MSP Monday, the coffee pot was not secured at tske-off and it went crashing to the floor. My partner was in 1B and was sprayed with coffeeish water. He was issued 5K SkyPesos...

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Jul 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by misterbean
Did the tail stay on?
Too soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.