Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T4 at JFK-- What a Nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
New signs are up...GE now shares the line with all US citizens. This is so dumb.
We came through T4 yesterday and the sign for the Left lane was GE, Diplomatic and Crew. It was not on the sign but Mobile Passport Control seemed to be permitted as well.

Wheelchairs were also using the lane to bypass the ridiculous lines for the other 2 lanes but they were followiing the Diplomatic /Crew path and merging into the regular lanes at the bottom. It was easy to get by them and take the quick left into the GE area.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
We came through T4 yesterday and the sign for the Left lane was GE, Diplomatic and Crew. It was not on the sign but Mobile Passport Control seemed to be permitted as well.

Wheelchairs were also using the lane to bypass the ridiculous lines for the other 2 lanes but they were followiing the Diplomatic /Crew path and merging into the regular lanes at the bottom. It was easy to get by them and take the quick left into the GE area.
Good to know they corrected it. Maybe it had been some sort of test. I can't imagine why anyone thought that was a good idea...the whole idea behind the left line was to speed up access.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:01 pm

I actually like terminal 4 , it is much better than terminal 2. I don't think terminal 2 was ever repaired from the damage that Hurricane Sandy caused. Terminal 4 is new & beautiful & has one of my favorite SCs that has an outside deck. The walk can be very long , especially if you are flying from LAX to JFK. I guess I have been lucky, I haven't had to wait long in the TSA line. The longest lines I have experience are at ATL.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Exploerer
Terminal 4 is new & beautiful
are you sure you're talking about JFK? the inside always seemed cramped and dingy to me, maybe because the ceilings feel low.

I agree with you about the SC though, love the Sky Deck ^
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
are you sure you're talking about JFK? the inside always seemed cramped and dingy to me, maybe because the ceilings feel low.

I agree with you about the SC though, love the Sky Deck ^
Yes, Terminal 4 at JFK, Terminal 2 is dingy & not very nice. I would rather fly out of LGA than Terminal 2. Terminal 4 has The Palm Bar & Grille along with shopping. I prefer Terminal 4 because the isles are wide & even if it is busy it doesn't feel overcrowded like LGA can be at times. The only downside is sometimes there is an extra long walk to the gates, too bad they don't have an express tram like DTW. I believe DL has a shuttle bus that stops at a couple of the B gates in terminal 4 at JFK.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
OK I'm arriving ORD-JFK in first and then connecting to Singapore JFK-FRA in First. I have 2 hours 30 minutes for my connection. I see that my flight arrives in T4 and Singapore departs from T4. However, I red that DL doesn't check baggage all the way through interlining now. Any advice or tips?

God bless
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by schley
OK I'm arriving ORD-JFK in first and then connecting to Singapore JFK-FRA in First. I have 2 hours 30 minutes for my connection. I see that my flight arrives in T4 and Singapore departs from T4. However, I red that DL doesn't check baggage all the way through interlining now. Any advice or tips?

God bless
Is it one ticket? If so DL will check thru, it's only on separate tickets DL will no longer interline. If on separate tickets you'll need to exit security, pickup bags, and recheck with Singapore. The only issue will be if you're late into JFK. If one ticket DL will be responsible to rebook your Singapore Air flights. If on two tickets neither DL nor Singapore is responsible for you missing the flight.

I've done it before arriving JFK on DL and connecting to EK on separate tickets.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:08 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by schley

God bless
It is worth trying to get onto an earlier flight in my opinion. If your flight is on time, you will be fine, though a bit rushed. If your flight is delayed (which could very easily happen if summer thunderstorms blow in suddenly -- in either Chicago or New York), you will be totally screwed. Singapore might possibly take pity on you and rebook you the next day, but they are under no obligation to do so assuming you are traveling on two separate tickets, which seems likely given the DL+SQ combination.

And if you get to JFK earlier, SQ uses the Virgin Clubhouse for first class departing passengers, which is a great lounge to hang out in for a few hours. Only downside is that if you get to JFK too early, it might be too early to check in with SQ and you'd have to wait outside security with your luggage until they become available, not sure what time they open though I assume they're available at least 4 hours before the flight departs.

There are multiple earlier ORD-JFK flights, worst case you'd pay a $50 same-day change fee (call within 24 hours of the departure time of the new flight you want), depending on your DL status and the fare class of your ticket.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
T4 customs was fine yesterday around 615pm coming in from SXM. Only about a 15 minute wait.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Thanks guys. It is a separate ticket and I cna't get on an earlier due to a commitment. I hope the weather holds up and I arrive on time.

God bless
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: Fly paid F/J. DL 2MM+.
Any updates on T4? Still a “nightmare”?

How about the extension of T4A?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDelta

The reality of speed through any int'l arrival hall terminal is how many planes have arrived in front of you. I don't normally check luggage and have global entry, but on a recent trip I had 2 checked bags. I waited over an hour at the bag carousel for the bags to turn up, which was kind of tiresome, but it was at 1:45pm at EWR when many of UA's European arrivals are slightly earlier. I suspect Delta's JFK T4 is the same - ie a very concentrated few hours when the Atlantic flights are arriving. Nothing much you can do if you check a bag, Global Entry or not.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
FYI, thread is 2-5 years old.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
FYI, thread is 2-5 years old.

Which is why they're asking for "any updates" and wondering if it's "still a nightmare"...

Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDelta

While it wasn't DL, I recently flew in to JFK T4 on OZ and the CBP process was a disorganised mess. I was entering the US on an ESTA which had been used previously, so should've been through relatively quickly. Only problem was, the staff there directed us to line up at a section where there were no open gates.

To cut a long story short, we waited for 30 mins while some CBP workers decided to man the gates near our line. Up until that point, not one of us were processed. And despite our asking, we were not allowed to change lines. And if you've ever been through international arrivals as a non-US citizen in America, you know you don't change lines on your own, otherwise you get barked at by all these people who, previously, weren't paying you any attention. All in all, it took 1:15 to get to the baggage carousels from the aircraft, even though I was one of the first off.
MW147 likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
I fly into T4 from CDG/AMS/TXL/LHR/CUN quite often, and it's rarely a "disorganized mess," at least if you have Global Entry. In fact I'd say the GE part is almost a "problem," since it goes so quickly--you're at the carousel waiting for bags almost before they've even started to unload the plane. The wait for bags can be a bit, though not unduly long.

So like all things, YMMV--especially for non-citizens/residents who can't get GE--but of all the things to complain about at JFK this isn't, in my experience at least, one of them.

Last edited by ryanm; May 1, 2018 at 3:49 pm Reason: betterment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.