So nervous!

Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

So nervous!

I haven't flown in years, but that's not what I'm nervous about. I am really nervous about making my connecting flight in Atlanta from Milwaukee. For whatever reason, I booked a flight, not noticing that there was only 36 minutes between my flight from MKE and my flight departing for VPS! They're both Delta, thank goodness, but I'm very scared of not making the flight! Any thoughts?

Also, I'm pretty sure Delta will transfer my checked luggage to my connecting flight, but I'm wondering if that'll be a huge problem, too.

I'm sorry, I didn't know where to post this, but I'm nervous and would like some reassurance that yes, I am intelligent enough to fly still!

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:36 am

You will be fine, just keep moving.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:40 am

36 minutes in ATL is not great, no. I'm sure there are others who can tell you all about how easy or hard that one will be, given your likely gates et cetera, but I'm on the other side of the country and spend my time in MSP and DTW rather than ATL.

What I can say with confidence is that your MCT (Minimum Connection Time) for DL-DL is 35 minutes domestic-to-domestic. That means you're unlikely to be able to get Delta to switch you to a different flight ahead of time, though you never know what you'll get when you call. If you're not on the last flight of the day ATL-VSP, I wouldn't worry about it. They will reroute you if you miss your connection.

Your checked bags may not be so lucky, though. I dislike short connections if I'm checking a bag. That's actually a decent excuse for calling and asking for a change. If your bags do miss the connection but you make it, generally DL will deliver them to you the next day at your destination. This may or may not be acceptable to you. (I don't care if I'm coming home, but for the first day of a short trip it can be a real pain.)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by reluctanttraveler

Your checked bags may not be so lucky, though. I dislike short connections if I'm checking a bag.
Not my experience at all. Back when I checked bags a lot. I missed several connections and the bags made it. I think the bags, overall, have a much better chance.
Originally Posted by reluctanttraveler
That's actually a decent excuse for calling and asking for a change.
Not sure how you figure that. It is outside of MCT, Delta isn't going to change it for free unless they find some reason that benefits them.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by indufan
Not my experience at all. Back when I checked bags a lot. I missed several connections and the bags made it. I think the bags, overall, have a much better chance.
I love getting my bags and seeing the "HOT" on the tag.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by johnm1019
I love getting my bags and seeing the "HOT" on the tag.
+1 Agree ^
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I wouldn't worry about missing your flight to Fort Walton Beach. There are almost hourly flights, so unless your the last flight out, relax and enjoy the beach.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
If things run on time you'll be fine. You won't have time to do much else other than walk off the flight from MKE, figure out where your next flight is departing from, and then head to the gate, and make a quick bathroom stop.

However, at the first sign of a delay (which is likely given the Spring Weather and ATC delays due to FAA Furloughs), get to an agent as quick as you can (check-in or gate agent) to get "protected" or rebooked on a later flight.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
most likely the OP will be going from B terminal to D terminal. Gonna be tight. If you land at one of the gates towards the end of the terminal and have to go to D with a departure at one of the gates towards the end of that terminal, OP will have to do his best OJ impersonation.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Familiarize yourself with the ATL airport map in sky magazine on your first flight.

Do not go to the gate on your boarding pass for the ATL-Vps flight until you have confirmed the gate most current gate on the screen as you get off the plane. There will be an agent there typically as well who can help you.

If you come into concourse A, B, C, or D and most likely you will, note that the trains/walkways to another concourse are located around gate 17 .... So, if you a come in at A5 and need to go to C48... Walk towards A17 from A5... Follow the signs to the escalators that take you to B,C,D, E, and F concourses once you get to the open area between A17 and A18. Note that in the opposite direction of the previous mentioned escalator, is one labeled T and baggage claim. In this scenario, you would not want to take that one. You would get on the train and it would next stop at B... Stay on... The stop after that will be C concourse. There is a digital sign board on the train that will tell you it is C as well as a verbal one. Once you get off, you will go up an escalator towards that gates... In this case, the crowd will be helpful.

Once you get to the top of the escalator , you will then go to your gate... In this scenario, you would walk towards the bigger numbers.

Keep in mind that ATL is big, but not that hard to navigate if you break it down and have a modicum of situational awareness. It has been weeks since I have heard of anyone getting abducted by the zombies who live inside those doors travelers occasionally go into near the trains, so you should not fret....
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: DL PM
I recently made a 47 minute connection in ATL with checked baggage. Made it, no problem. Best of luck on your connection
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM & 1 MM, Hilton Silver, Hertz Gold
One more suggestion......when you select seats for the flight into ATL, pick one as close to the front as possible and on the aisle. That will minimize the time necessary to get off the plane and get moving to your next gate.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:47 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
^
Originally Posted by FireFlyer
One more suggestion......when you select seats for the flight into ATL, pick one as close to the front as possible and on the aisle. That will minimize the time necessary to get off the plane and get moving to your next gate.
^

It might even be worth it to buy Economy Comfort seats on that flight to guarantee seats close to the front.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I made a 36 minute connection when the plane-train was broken, and had to go from B to T. Yes, there was an OJ impersonation going on as I sprinted...

Good luck! If everything goes well, you should be fine. If things get delayed, even an hour connection probably wouldn't help that much.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I made a 36 minute connection when the plane-train was broken, and had to go from B to T. Yes, there was an OJ impersonation going on as I sprinted...

Good luck! If everything goes well, you should be fine. If things get delayed, even an hour connection probably wouldn't help that much.
How did you get the knife past security?:-:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.