Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Stopover/Open Jaw Help on Award Itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting the phone agent to price out the following itinerary in business at the 120k award level (it is pricing out at 210k). All segments are in Low availability.

jfk-lax-pvg-HKG(destination)-cdg-TLV(stopover)-fco-jfk

I'm wondering if somebody could help me. The agent said even valid stopovers cost extra miles which I know is false. Is the issue that I am exceeding the MPM or is the routing not valid.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Er, that would be an around the world ticket. I'm pretty sure it violates both routing and MPM rules. Continuing west from HKG would likely be the biggest issue in terms of routing. That's what they have these for --
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...orld/index.jsp
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Routing from Asia to the US via Europe is always tricky and unreliable. It seems if you do a straight shot via AMS/CDG/FCO you can get away with it, but backtracking to TLV is almost surely not going to work. You're over the HKG-JFK MPM, but maybe within a tolerance that they'd accept. However, the only time I've seen US-Asia via Europe price at 60K one way is when it followed a published routing (not using MPM), and I can't imagine any DL partner would include a HKG-JFK routing via TLV.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:34 pm

I had no issues today going over both oceans. pdx-sfo-cdg (stopover)-del. then mle-can-yvr-pdx on way back. 4 people in business class at 120k per. (economy on AS legs)
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by nathanielm
I had no issues today going over both oceans. pdx-sfo-cdg (stopover)-del. then mle-can-yvr-pdx on way back. 4 people in business class at 120k per. (economy on AS legs)
That's not surprising, as you crossed DL's preferred ocean for DEL and then the preferred ocean (if there is one) for MLE. The difficulty here is Asia-US not via the Pacific.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:39 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Routing from Asia to the US via Europe is always tricky and unreliable. It seems if you do a straight shot via AMS/CDG/FCO you can get away with it.
Previously I tried to book a simple USA-China roundtrip ticket BOS-AMS-CTU (Chengdu, China)-AMS-BOS but DL always wanted to charge me 140000 miles (60000+80000) even though the actual flying distance BOS-AMS-CTU (8403 miles) is less than the MPM for BOS-CTU (9559 miles) or close to the typical routing through the pacific (BOS-DTW-PEK-CTU 8230 miles or BOS-DTW-PVG-CTU 8829 miles).
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by UA vs NW
Previously I tried to book a simple USA-China roundtrip ticket BOS-AMS-CTU (Chengdu, China)-AMS-BOS but DL always wanted to charge me 140000 miles (60000+80000) even though the actual flying distance BOS-AMS-CTU (8403 miles) is less than the MPM for BOS-CTU (9559 miles) or close to the typical routing through the pacific (BOS-DTW-PEK-CTU 8230 miles or BOS-DTW-PVG-CTU 8829 miles).
Did you try that online or via phone? I've yet to hear anyone get DL.dumb to price US-Asia via Europe at 120K in J. However, people have gotten phone agents to do it, including SGN/HAN-CDG-IAD-ATL, with the first sector on VN, the second on AF, and the third on DL.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:10 pm

You will probably be able to get away with HKG-CDG(stopover)-JFK on the way back. If you can pull that off you can just buy a CDG-TLV ticket. Intra-Europe business class sucks anyways, so you won't be losing much.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by nlcbdw
Hi,

I'm having trouble getting the phone agent to price out the following itinerary in business at the 120k award level (it is pricing out at 210k). All segments are in Low availability.

jfk-lax-pvg-HKG(destination)-cdg-TLV(stopover)-fco-jfk

I'm wondering if somebody could help me. The agent said even valid stopovers cost extra miles which I know is false. Is the issue that I am exceeding the MPM or is the routing not valid.

Any help would be really appreciated.
You are taking two separate one ways, so it is properly pricing out as two round trips.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
You are taking two separate one ways, so it is properly pricing out as two round trips.
I just called Delta to get some more details. This is how the system is breaking up the ticket.

jfk - lax - pvg - 60k
pvg - hkg - cdg - - 60k
cdg - tlv - 30k
tlv-fco-jfk - 60k

For some reason the ticket is breaking at pvg even though it is just a connection and not a stopover.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by nlcbdw
I just called Delta to get some more details. This is how the system is breaking up the ticket.

jfk - lax - pvg - 60k
pvg - hkg - cdg - - 60k
cdg - tlv - 30k
tlv-fco-jfk - 60k

For some reason the ticket is breaking at pvg even though it is just a connection and not a stopover.
That is correct. 006/DL does not allow you to go to EU over the Pacific (not even from Hawaii, where the flying time and distance is often shorter that way and it's only 1/2 an ocean vs 1 and 1/2 oceans otherwise). You have to route over the Atlantic. Fly JFK-CDG direct and then it won't break up there.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
That is correct. 006/DL does not allow you to go to EU over the Pacific (not even from Hawaii, where the flying time and distance is often shorter that way and it's only 1/2 an ocean vs 1 and 1/2 oceans otherwise). You have to route over the Atlantic. Fly JFK-CDG direct and then it won't break up there.
OP isn't trying to go to the EU via the Pacific. The OP is trying to go to Asia via the Pacific and then return via the Atlantic with a stopover in the Middle East.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Did you try that online or via phone? I've yet to hear anyone get DL.dumb to price US-Asia via Europe at 120K in J. However, people have gotten phone agents to do it, including SGN/HAN-CDG-IAD-ATL, with the first sector on VN, the second on AF, and the third on DL.
I thought AF/KL did not make award seats available to DL?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I thought AF/KL did not make award seats available to DL?
They are making fewer seats available than they used to (and KL seats that can be booked by DL are really hard to come by at present), but AF seats are definitely bookable if they show on ExpertFlyer.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:33 pm

OP isn't trying to go to the EU via the Pacific. The OP is trying to go to Asia via the Pacific and then return via the Atlantic with a stopover in the Middle East.
He said that PVG is a stopover, that's why I phrased it that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.