Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hour and a half delay that wasn't weather or mechanical

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire

Flight 5012 DTW to SAT. Initially asked for 3 volunteers due to oversold flight (I think that was what was said). Announced volunteers not needed and boarding began. No upgrade for me so I was hanging back while pre-boards and first were boarding. Then noticed Springfield on the monitor. People asked and gate agents told us we were headed to San Antonio - don't worry... The guy next to me said he heard that we were overweight and there were strong head winds so would be stopping in Springfield for more fuel. (What?) Waited and waited and waited until finally the gate agent came on board and asked for 12 VOLUNTEERS to take a later flight because we were overweight and the offer was $600 in flight credit. I was intrigued so decided to get off the plane and see what my options were. So did many others and the gate area was chaotic with people cutting in in front of others (one couple interuppted others to ask if they could get their noon flight back if they took the offer). Decided it was too crazy and asked for my original boarding pass back to get back on the plane. Had to wait for a red coat. An hour and a half later, we left. Why it took an hour and a half to figure this all out, I'll never know....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:25 pm

Sounds like that flight could have been WX (flight couldn't make it with load and anticipated winds) or MX (something on a MEL causing a weight restriction?) indeed. Be glad that you weren't on DL5012 yesterday- it diverted to MEM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Guess they figured it was more cost effective to dole out $7200 in vouchers than it was to stop in Springfield. Must have been a close decision though, because that Springfield flight is still listed on the fight information.

12 seats overweight, that seems like an awful lot for a CR7...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Yes, the joys of teeny, tiny, tinny tubes.

Even with a FC section, they can still be trying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.