Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Foreign carriers can't fly US domestic routes by law and KE doesn't fly any of those routes (besides JFK-ICN nonstop).

That first article is talking about using KE miles, if one had them by crediting flights to KE's frequent flyer program or by transferring miles from Chase Ultimate Rewards, to redeem for Delta flights. The article doesn't mention that the chances of finding the necessary "low" level awards on Delta flights to Hawaii are very low.

If you have DL miles this isn't of any use to you since you can't convert DL miles into KE miles.
thanks for the info. so the first article is blatantly wrong in the fact that they state KE flies JFK to LAX to HNL. Well that's good to know.

Yeah, flying JFK to ICN to HNL is a bit of a jaunt. LOL!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by hurnik
thanks for the info. so the first article is blatantly wrong in the fact that they state KE flies JFK to LAX to HNL. Well that's good to know.

Yeah, flying JFK to ICN to HNL is a bit of a jaunt. LOL!
Absolutely not. The article does not claim any such thing; it discusses using KL miles to book travel within the U.S. on DL:

But in the U.S., Korean can be a good option for redemptions on Delta domestically.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
Absolutely not. The article does not claim any such thing; it discusses using KL miles to book travel within the U.S. on DL:
Oh, I see now. So, even though Delta is in Skyteam alliance or whatever, if you want to use Skymiles on partner airlines, you "pay" whatever Delta would normally charge (miles-wise). But if you do the converse (use a partner airline that you have miles in to book on Delta metal) you are subject to the Partner redemptions.

So in that case, if you have sufficient Korean miles (Skypass), since Korean has lower redemption (for FC for Hawaii), you can use Skypass miles to book on Delta metal, which DOES have JFK to LAX to HNL? Provided of course, that any seats exist.

Did I finally get that right?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by hurnik
Did I finally get that right?
Yes. When you redeem miles from an airline's mileage program, you redeem them at the price determined by that mileage program.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:46 am

Guide to Booking Delta Flights to Hawaii for 25,000 Korean Miles Roundtrip, 45k in First
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:22 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
All, I am going to book a YNZ-CAN-LAX-PDX-PSC flight on Delta/China southern/AS using skymiles. I searched and got this:
5/19 8:25PM to 10:50PM CZ 3268 Business (O)17,500
5/20 9:30PM to 7:40PM DL 78301 (CZ) Business (O) 70,000
5/21 8:00AM to 10:29 AS 563 First (A) 25,000
5/21 10:05PM to 10:54PM Main Cabin (W) 12,500
Could I book this on one ticket and how much skymiles will it cost? I could not do it online by Multi-city search.

thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:30 am
Suspended

[moved to "Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread"]
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
I need to route from JFK - TLV and the DL direct is pricing in J at 137,500 while the indirect routing with SU is pricing in at 70,000. 2 questions:

1) The metal from JFK - SVO is DL and onward is SU. The stopover is only 50 minutes... While I imagine it is technically a "legal" connection, how realistic is it?

2) Does anybody have thoughts about the onward hard / soft experience on SU? The SVO - TLV flight is about 4 hours.

Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
While I can't comment on the feasibility of making a 50-min connection at SVO (I would personally stay away from any sub-2hr connections at large airports, especially int-int), here's a review of a similar SU flight from Renee's Points blog:

http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/...-post-dr-john/
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by finny52
Does anybody have thoughts about the onward hard / soft experience on SU? The SVO - TLV flight is about 4 hours.
I recently flew LHR-SVO-KZN//LED-SVO-JFK on SU metal in J. The hard product is quite good -- true business class seats instead of the standard Euro-business approach of merely blocking the middle seat. I was also highly impressed with the soft product on both the short-haul and long-haul segments. Personalized service, memorized names, great food and wine, etc. One flight attendant insisted on freshening up the lavatory before letting me use it, while another told me "it was such a joy to fly with you today".
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:22 pm

Using Skymiles to Book KLM

I am new and this is my first post. I hope I am putting it in the right spot. I am looking at a business class reward from NYC to London. I have a bank of Delta Skylmiles. I know they are a partner with airfrance and KLM. If I look on Delta a one way ticket is 70,000 Delta Skymiles, if I look on KLM flying blue the flight is 62,500 points. Can i use my Delta Skymiles to book through this partner at the lower rate?

I am relatively knew to point collecting and I get confused with these partner rules.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dustin Carter
I am new and this is my first post. I hope I am putting it in the right spot. I am looking at a business class reward from NYC to London. I have a bank of Delta Skylmiles. I know they are a partner with airfrance and KLM. If I look on Delta a one way ticket is 70,000 Delta Skymiles, if I look on KLM flying blue the flight is 62,500 points. Can i use my Delta Skymiles to book through this partner at the lower rate?

I am relatively knew to point collecting and I get confused with these partner rules.
Welcome Dustin!! The answer to your question is no. You have to redeem your skymiles with Delta only. For you to be able to access KLM at 62,500 points, you'll have to use Flying Blue miles and redeem through KLM.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Hi all - thoughts?

Am trying to book TPE/HKG/ICN-various connection points-SYD (on Tues, Apr 25) for my brother-in-law to meet us in Sydney next week as his ship is now headed north vice south to Australia (you may have seen the bit about a Navy Carrier Group being redirected to Korea).

The DL website keeps showing me misc miles options but every time I go to book, the website errors out. DM desk had similar issues.

I've never booked internal Asia flights with DL miles...

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bgriff
Foreign carriers can't fly US domestic routes by law and KE doesn't fly any of those routes (besides JFK-ICN nonstop).
I think you mean "sell". Qantas definitely "flies" JFK-LAX.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by RealHJ
It is. You got off lucky. It took me 10s of hours over two months to book some VN flights before. Countless calls until a non-clueless agent knew what they were doing (DL doesn't believe in training its staff, or in QA), but then couldn't get VN even over long-sell and had to do some very convolluted manual process even more backwards than long-sell. Took a good two months to get the seats confirmed and ticketed and 10-20 hours in the whole process.

Generally, thougn, expect the ordeal of booking a 006 ticket to take about as long as the flying time of your flights (with the numerous escalations and often 3, 4, 5 agents all on at once trying to do routine things that with other airlines you can do online, such as booking flights, making required changes due to schedule changes/cancellations even of DL's own flights, etc.). If it's any less time than that, then you are very lucky!
Yup. I think I spent about 4 hours with DL.com and another 4 hours on the phone with DL trying to book RNO-SEA-HKG-DPS/CGK on AS/DL/GA and eventually gave up and booked RNO-SEA-HKG-HAN on AS/DL/VN.

We'll just buy a ticket on BI to go SGN-BWN-DPS. I was going to both Vietnam and Indonesia either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.