Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Accused of, and threatened because of "solicitation" at a Skyclub

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

This is a long story and definitely on the rant side of story so please bear with me.

I arrived a few minutes ago at the Skyclub at ATL by gate E14. While waiting to present my credentials I overheard a woman and her friend in front of me being told they were ineligable for access. I then offered my boarding pass and said "I get two guests, they can come in with me", something I have done with many airlines and many lounge memberships in the past. The agent on duty, whose name I got but will not post here, became hostile and rude. She initially objected to me doing this at all but I said "I'm a full Skyclub member, I am entiteld to two guests". She then infromed me she'd "make an exception" but told me in a manner as condescending as possible "don't do this again". I said the membership guide does not say I have to know the guests, just that they have to stay with me and leave when I do. She then infromed me if I did this again, my membership would be revoked.

By this point, the two women I tried to help said "we're leaving, we won't do business with a place who talks to you (meaning me) this way". They then thanked me and left. I also left. I am now at the F Concourse Skyclub and I asked the agent here about it and she said Delta considers what I did solicitiation. I said for it to be solicitation, didn't there have to be some comepensation changing hands? She informed me "management" had told them to stop anyone from doing this. This is certainly news to me and I rechecked the T&Cs and it doesn't seem to prohibit this. I wrote Delta an email, especially over the horribly rude way I was talked to and we'll see what they say.

Naturally, I put it here too...what say you?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:03 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Here's another post from 4 days ago - - Same thing at MSP

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-sky-club.html
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
There is no reason for the Sky Club agent to behave like this. I can understand Delta's concerns with overcrowded clubs, but then again you are entitled to bring 2 guests. I Delta wants to address the situation then they can change the Sky Club rules such that the 2 passengers have to be travelling with you on the same flight or something similar. Let's see what Delta's official response will be.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Official response? Really?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
There is no reason for the Sky Club agent to behave like this. I can understand Delta's concerns with overcrowded clubs, but then again you are entitled to bring 2 guests.
I don't think that policy envisions *everyone* bringing in two guests every time, especially if it means rounding up strangers to be "guests."
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
If Delta is worried about overcrowding the last people they should look to are those of us who pay for a full membership. The rules state we are allowed to bring two guests. Nothing else is mentioned regarding our relationship to the guests. I have never been questioned by the Skyclub employees about the guests I bring and if I ever were I would politely remind them that it is none of their business.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Solicitation like you're trying to sell something?

Or solicitation like you're trying to buy something?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
Solicitation like you're trying to sell something?

Or solicitation like you're trying to buy something?
I asked. My B.A. is in a mix of English and Pre-Law so I'm fascinated by langugage. The second agent (at the F Club) got very comfortable when I wanted details on how exactly I was "soliciting".

Oh and for the record the club was NOT crowded at the time.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Karma score: You, 1; Delta, 0.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
A few thoughts on this situation and then a recent experience that I had in SLC sky club a few weeks ago.

First: why did you feel the need to be so generous and offer your guest spots? Dd the two ladies strike you as if they had suffered a particular hardship? Did you think the SC agent was improperly denying them SC access (yes it does happen?)

That aside...

Two random people ahead of you in the queue are not your guests. They are random strangers. Guests are people you know who are traveling with you or are ppl you know in the airport at same time as you. Even if they're on a different PNR, flight, airline, etc "guest" implies you know each other (even an acquaintance you met on an earlier flight to me is OK).

But you invited two complete strangers into the club that you had never met before. That's not a guest. Sorry.

Perhaps the explicit T&C of the full SC membership you have does not clearly state this but the spirit of the rules is quite clear and understood by any reasoned traveller, no?

And let's say you had gotten them in. Were you planning on spending every moment with them and policing their behavior (remember that members are responsible for all behaviors of their guests.) and when you boarded your flight were you planning to ensure they left the SC with you?

You're argument about how DL can avoid over crowding at the SC is a strawman argument. So. No. Doesn't work.

2 weeks ago I was approaching SLC club and I noticed a middle aged couple trolling the entrance of the SC. They explicitly asked me if I could guest them into the club. I said no sorry I can't. The guy immediately rubbed his fingers offering $$. I said no sorry and entered the club. So yes. I could see how DL would consider guesting strangers solicitation and I'm glad they played interference with your situation. After the SC agent welcomed me to the club I told him about the soliciting couple outside. He walked outside and asked them to clear away from the entrance doors or he was going to call security. Good job!!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Originally Posted by mridley2
A few thoughts on this situation and then a recent experience that I had in SLC sky club a few weeks ago.

First: why did you feel the need to be so generous and offer your guest spots? Dd the two ladies strike you as if they had suffered a particular hardship? Did you think the SC agent was improperly denying them SC access (yes it does happen?)

That aside...

Two random people ahead of you in the queue are not your guests. They are random strangers. Guests are people you know who are traveling with you or are ppl you know in the airport at same time as you. Even if they're on a different PNR, flight, airline, etc "guest" implies you know each other (even an acquaintance you met on an earlier flight to me is OK).

But you invited two complete strangers into the club that you had never met before. That's not a guest. Sorry.

Perhaps the explicit T&C of the full SC membership you have does not clearly state this but the spirit of the rules is quite clear and understood by any reasoned traveller, no?

And let's say you had gotten them in. Were you planning on spending every moment with them and policing their behavior (remember that members are responsible for all behaviors of their guests.) and when you boarded your flight were you planning to ensure they left the SC with you?

You're argument about how DL can avoid over crowding at the SC is a strawman argument. So. No. Doesn't work.

2 weeks ago I was approaching SLC club and I noticed a middle aged couple trolling the entrance of the SC. They explicitly asked me if I could guest them into the club. I said no sorry I can't. The guy immediately rubbed his fingers offering $$. I said no sorry and entered the club. So yes. I could see how DL would consider guesting strangers solicitation and I'm glad they played interference with your situation. After the SC agent welcomed me to the club I told him about the soliciting couple outside. He walked outside and asked them to clear away from the entrance doors or he was going to call security. Good job!!
^^^ +1
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Here is how I would have handled. "Sir, we have recently had communication from DL who considers that inviting random strangers in to the SC is considered solicitation. I will let you and your two guests in this time, but may I suggest it might be worth you dropping a quick line/email to DL Skyclub management and requesting clarification on this matter. Oh and by the way Sir, thank you for being a Skyclub member".

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Nov 17, 2012 at 4:40 pm
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)

Actually a guest is a person invited by another. Words have meanings, and that's the meaning. If delta feels it should be someone on the same flight (as AF does) or should be a relative etc., that should be specified.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Not to be snarky but, why not? Inspiration struck me. I overheard some of their conversation and they said they were on a mission trip and would only be there a half hour. Seemed like a nice gesture.

That aside...

Guest does not imply anything. Hotels call me a guest don't they? In fact, if I search the definition of guest I find:

1. a person who spends some time at another person's home in some social activity, as a visit, dinner, or party.
2. a person who receives the hospitality of a club, a city, or the like.
3. a person who patronizes a hotel, restaurant, etc., for the lodging, food, or entertainment it provides.
4. an often well-known person invited to participate or perform in a regular program, series, etc., as a substitute for a regular member or as a special attraction.

See above

I don't think it's understood at all or quite clear. There are numerous cases of Flyertalkers guesting in people they meet just as I did.

I had a three hour layover on a solo trip, I'd have been glad to sit with them and chat if they wanted or just read my book in view of them. Furthermore, I am now at the B concourse as my flight leaves from here. Leaving when they did would have been no issue.

I made no argument about this, see above
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Irelandflyer
Actually a guest is a person invited by another. Words have meanings, and that's the meaning. If delta feels it should be someone on the same flight (as AF does) or should be a relative etc., that should be specified.
I'm somewhere in between on this one. I will occasionally invite military personnel in uniform in for a drink (used to buy them drinks/dinner when I saw them in the concourse, but now that I rarely spend any time out there, this is my alternative), and I hope to continue to do this through the holidays.... I hope this DL directive doesn't change my ability to do this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.