Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$$$ based SM a total Croc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Come on Dean, do you really think Delta would announce the in time for us tons with carriers for our 1st quarter business? While all other airlines give some sort of courtesy to their FF, Delta has shown us time and again that they don't. They don't announce their plans ahead of time and normally not until they are already in place. If this happens, which I do elect it will, I predict we would not know until March.

I also believe several of the changes have been deigned to reflect this coming change.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dean1121
I'm pretty calm and not really concerned re dilution of SMiles.

The point I was making is that fake and bogus posts caused many people like you to burn miles. Like lemmings everyone jump on in a frenzy not often seen before.

The big 4 might bight the bullet next year but what ever happens we won't know the real facts from seeing it here before they announce it. FT is great at relaying people's experiences, predicting the future, not so good.
Fake and bogus posts or not, it has never been smart to carry enormous balances of miles in any frequent flyer program. The universal trend over the last decade or two has been one of devaluation. It's only a matter of how fast. I feel much better with a smaller balance in programs and a larger balance within CC programs... I can still convert them to miles as needed, but am more insulated from devaluations.

After all... miles aren't worth anything until you actually redeem them for a ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I'll keep my dancing shoes close and provide my wife's violin for the festivities. ))
Sounds awesome!

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Come on Dean, do you really think Delta would announce the in time for us tons with carriers for our 1st quarter business? While all other airlines give some sort of courtesy to their FF, Delta has shown us time and again that they don't. They don't announce their plans ahead of time and normally not until they are already in place. If this happens, which I do elect it will, I predict we would not know until March.
I expect you are largely correct.

David
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
So certain are you, OP? We'll see...

To me the real variable is what the new program will look like. I don't fault anyone who spent all their miles and bailed on Skymiles, but to me it was too speculative.

And yeah, IBTL, or at least this should be merged into the rumor thread.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA

I also believe several of the changes have been deigned to reflect this coming change.
I guess you are correct, here's me thinking DL would make some kind of announcement regarding the changes. It would be nice but un reflection they will probably just spring it on us.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by javabytes
Fake and bogus posts or not, it has never been smart to carry enormous balances of miles in any frequent flyer program. The universal trend over the last decade or two has been one of devaluation. It's only a matter of how fast. I feel much better with a smaller balance in programs and a larger balance within CC programs... I can still convert them to miles as needed, but am more insulated from devaluations.

After all... miles aren't worth anything until you actually redeem them for a ticket.
Agreed, 3-400k is about where I keep my DL balance at, AA about 100k. Amex is a much safer place to keep points stored up, for me any way.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Agreed, 3-400k is about where I keep my DL balance at, AA about 100k. Amex is a much safer place to keep points stored up, for me any way.
^I keep my balance a little lower, about 150K unless I have something specific like a family trip in mind.

Get rid of them as soon as is practical.... miles have saved me $10s of thousands over the past 6 years. Have put me and my family in BE many times when I never would have paid cold hard cash for the "privilege"

Will never understand anyone calling them worthless or skypesos.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
DL is neither stupid nor honest. Does anyone really expect them to announce changes early enough for people to make a choice early in the program year when it's easier to concentrate on another carrier and earn elite status there.

Point 2. DL and every carrier needs all kinds of pax. ...kettles, high value flyers, high mileage fliers, etc. IMHO they don't have a competitive program for either high value or high mileage flyers. So they're struggling to come up with something. The fundamental problems though is that you can't trade benefits for loyalty when you've already sold all the benefits to AMEX.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer
^I keep my balance a little lower, about 150K unless I have something specific like a family trip in mind.

Get rid of them as soon as is practical.... miles have saved me $10s of thousands over the past 6 years. Have put me and my family in BE many times when I never would have paid cold hard cash for the "privilege"

Will never understand anyone calling them worthless or skypesos.
I wouldn't call them skypesos but they still haven't fixed the award calendar...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by javabytes
Party on if you wish. I'm in more of a "calm before the storm" mindset.

[pure speculation]

My prediction is that we will see at least two if not three of the US legacy carriers switch over to a revenue-based system next year. My bet is that DL will switch. The other will be UA or US, and I'm leaning towards UA. My guess is that AA will not, being preoccupied with other matters.

If such a program comes to fruition, those carrying large balances will be badly burned no matter what the plan is for existing miles. You can be all but assured a conversion rate won't be favorable. And grandfathered miles haven't exactly had a stellar history.

[/pure speculation]

I've burned nearly three quarters of a million miles this year - and have done so at exclusively Low levels (with no small amount of work). My balance hit 4 digits this month.

At this point I view carrying large balances with airlines as the high risk option, and view it as much safer to bank points with programs that allow you to convert into miles if you wish - such as AmEx MR instead of DL. If DL makes no changes, then you're golden - just transfer the miles when you need them and party on like before. If DL hits the big red button to destroy the world, then at least you've got other places to go.
Good response. And without being hysterical, I did the same. No need to have over 250k in my account - and to Javabytes point - there's an element of risk. As it was, I already got "caught out" once this year with the unannounced Caribbean mileage hike. If DL would have been up front about the changes and gave some notice, I could have saved some miles for my medium level award, but ho hum.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
But the thread in question centered around a leaked email that was obviously bogus. It was clearly not written by any exec or staff, it was grammer school level. I am stunned that so many on this board took it as legit.
Well, what's one person's grammer school is another's grammar.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
IBTL.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
IBTL.
IBTL x 2

(I can't believe this is still open)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL GE
I have it on no authority from an imaginary reliable source that the discussion here did or did not change the direction of SmileMiles.

The rumors posted here may or may not have been a good and or bad thing after all! Only someone other then any of us will ever know!

Keep up the good work people, or don't!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:47 pm
mdb

In before the lock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.