Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Wrong seat, wrong flight, wrong destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
The funny thing (or not so funny) would have been if the flight was not full & no one else was assigned that seat. This woman would not have known she was on the wrong plane till she got off & IAD. I can just imagine the blame going back & fourth. She would have blamed DL for letting her board the wrong flight (and she would be right) but DL would have blamed her for being a dumb b... (& they would also be right). Takes 2 to tango
Hey, could we leave the sexist connotations out!!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
How is being Blonde sexist??
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:13 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
ATL ---> IAD - 534 Miles

ATL ---> DCA - 547 Miles

Clearly, she did it to try'n scam an additional 14 valuable SkyMiles!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I still call DCA National rather than Reagon

Me too!

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:27 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
The funny thing (or not so funny) would have been if the flight was not full & no one else was assigned that seat. This woman would not have known she was on the wrong plane till she got off & IAD. I can just imagine the blame going back & fourth. She would have blamed DL for letting her board the wrong flight (and she would be right) but DL would have blamed her for being a dumb b... (& they would also be right). Takes 2 to tango
2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by davetravels
Quote:
I still call DCA National rather than Reagon

Me too!
and don't ever stop - great airport given an unnecessary undeserved rename - our tax dollars at work
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by puddinhead
2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do.
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 2 wrights made an airplane!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by davetravels
ATL ---> IAD - 534 Miles

ATL ---> DCA - 547 Miles

Clearly, she did it to try'n scam an additional 14 valuable SkyMiles!

Me too!
I wonder if she was actually trying to scam into DCA vs. IAD. Often, travel to/from DCA is more expensive than BWI and, to a lesser extent, IAD while DCA is much more convenient for those in DC, MD, Arlington County, Alexandria, and portions of Fairfax County. Perhaps that's why she became a bit mad. She just really wanted to ride Metro after her flight .
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by rjpjr
and don't ever stop - great airport given an unnecessary undeserved rename - our tax dollars at work
Yeah... Drop by Mineta Airport sometime.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL GM

I guess this is the reverse of your story. I was at IAD back in August and was at one of the kiosks. The woman next to me had her email receipt and was fumbling with the kiosk and couldn't get it to print a boarding pass. I glance over and notice she's leaving out of BWI in less than 2 hours. I tell her she's at the wrong airport, and she's so confused.

I have to wonder what she ended up doing because there was a cancellation so I doubt that she was able to get in a flight out of Dulles. At least in this situation, it showed that the kiosks don't print out passes for other airports, because I wonder what the tsa would do. (Though online printed boarding passes could still be taken to the wrong airport)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I bet they blame each other about 4 times! sorry couldn't resist
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
In 2005, I was on a flight from DCA-DFW on American. The flight was fairly empty with only about 50% of the seats full. It was the last flight of the night, landing around 10 pm.

As we approached DFW, the pilot announced that we would be landing in DFW in about 20 minutes. The guy behind me rang his flight attendant call button. When the flight attendant came over, he said, "Did they say this flight is landing in Dallas? I'm supposed to be on a flight to Houston!" The flight attendant said, "Yes, this is a flight to Dallas." He repeated, "But, I'm supposed to be on a flight to Houston." The flight attendant said "That's impossible, the gate agent wouldn't have let you board if you were supposed to be on a flight to Houston."

The passenger pulled out his boarding pass -- and sure enough, he had a boarding flight for a flight to Houston and had boarded the flight to Dallas.

He asked the flight attendants if there were any other flights to Houston -- they said no because it was 10 pm. He said he had a big meeting he had to be in Houston for the next day. After we landed, I heard him call a rental car company and was going to drive from Houston to Dallas.

So -- yes, this does happen. And yes, sometimes nobody notices until the passengers are in the wrong city!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
After we landed, I heard him call a rental car company and was going to drive from Houston to Dallas.
Or maybe from Dallas to Houston?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
ain't no cure for stupid!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
If she checked a bag, trying to file the lost luggage claim form at the wrong airport could be interesting.
Or if she was getting a rental car and being told you're at the wrong facility.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The funny thing (or not so funny) would have been if the flight was not full & no one else was assigned that seat.
Well, in that case, the GA typing in the seat assignment manually would not have produced an OK to board note. Obviously not excusing the GA.

Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
+1

Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
In 2005, I was on a flight from DCA-DFW on American. The flight was fairly empty with only about 50% of the seats full. It was the last flight of the night, landing around 10 pm.

As we approached DFW, the pilot announced that we would be landing in DFW in about 20 minutes. The guy behind me rang his flight attendant call button. When the flight attendant came over, he said, "Did they say this flight is landing in Dallas? I'm supposed to be on a flight to Houston!" The flight attendant said, "Yes, this is a flight to Dallas." He repeated, "But, I'm supposed to be on a flight to Houston." The flight attendant said "That's impossible, the gate agent wouldn't have let you board if you were supposed to be on a flight to Houston."

The passenger pulled out his boarding pass -- and sure enough, he had a boarding flight for a flight to Houston and had boarded the flight to Dallas.
That's particularly impressive given that I don't think AA flew DCA-IAH in 2005 (if they ever did), which would mean this passenger was not only on the wrong flight but on the wrong airline!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.