Search

Year-end milage quandry

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Year-end milage quandry

Hi,

This is my first question in this forum. I am 200 miles short of Platinum, and I do have at least one more trip I'll make before the end of the year. I can't decide whether to go Delta and get PM now or rollover for next year. I should have just as much or more business travel next year as I did this year. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Weocome to FT.

If you don't make PM now, you'll roll over at most 24,999 MQM, less than a third of the amount needed for PM. Hence, if your travel is the same next your, you would spend the first eight months as GM and then become PM sometime in September.

If you don't have much rollover, you would still easily requalify for PM next year. It doesn't sound like you have a realistic chance of making DM, with or without up to 25K rollover, and AFAIK rollover might not continue or the DL FF program could be revamped so that making decisions based on having enough rollover build up to make DM in some future year wouldn't be a factor that I would assign much weight in the decision.

My bottom line advice: Go for PM now. It's better than GM and you'll requalify unless the rules change dramatically, in which case you still would have enjoyed 15 months as a PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
MSPeconomist, makes sense. Thank you.

BTW, where do I vote for you?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rroy668
MSPeconomist, makes sense. Thank you.

BTW, where do I vote for you?
You can vote for up to four candidates of your choice by clicking on the link in the "elections end in X days" announcement at the top of forums or (easier way) clicking on any of the "I voted" yellow and blue icons below a username to the left of someone's vote. Clicking on the icon by my name leads you to the full ballot where you can vote for anyone you want. Enjoy!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:22 am

Stop about 500 miles short of GM or crossover? Should fly enough to get FO even without rollover. GM would be tougher but not impossible if no rollover
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
I agree with MSPeconomist. Not much else to add. Rolling over will not do much if your travel patterns remain the same.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:39 am

200 miles for the ability to upgrade now, upgrade priority, stand by priority, and gifts is a no brainier in my opinion, Just take a small leg to anywhere. It will pay off.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can get today :-)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:06 am

PM, PM, PM & PM!

(unless you are going to pay a higher fare on one of my flights!)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can vote for up to four candidates of your choice by clicking on the link in the "elections end in X days" announcement at the top of forums or (easier way) clicking on any of the "I voted" yellow and blue icons below a username to the left of someone's vote. Clicking on the icon by my name leads you to the full ballot where you can vote for anyone you want. Enjoy!
Although a vote for more than one dilutes the vote. Vote MSP!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Five Star Gold Plus, Club Carlson Concierge
Went through a reasonably similar decision point myself. Decided to go for PM status (had to cover for the gap by applying for the Amex Delta Reserve card). That way, irrespective of how my travel plans shape up, I will at least be able to enjoy PM for 15 months!

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.