Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Medallion Platinum vs Gold - What is it good for? Need advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:39 am
Original Poster

So it appears that I will be Delta Platinum (currently Gold) based just of the travels I have to book already for 2016
But reading on the Delta website, I am not sure to understand what benefit it really gives compared to Gold:

You get to choose one specific benefit:

* 4 Regional Upgrade Certificates
=> I am mainly flying intercontinental, and while I know they have added Transcontinental Delta One Upgrades with the Certificates, beeing based in Boston and Flying to the West Coast not to LAX nor SFO, I would never be able use them properly except if I do 2 stops.
=> Now if they had 2 Global Upgrade Certificates as an option instead of 4 Regional ones, we could talk!

* Global Entry Application Voucher
=> I already have it through my Amex Platinum

* 4 Delta Sky Club One-Day Passes
=> I already have unlimited access through my Amex Platinum

* Gifting Silver Medallion Status
=> I could give to my wife, but what for? She rarely travels alone and Silver status doesn't give much.

Delta Platinum gives also some Starwood perks, but again I do not care since I have SPG Gold through my Amex Platinum.

So basically, what is Medallion Platinum good for vs Medallion Gold?

I am actually wondering if there would be a way to renounce Platinum status, keep Gold, and have the rollover MQMs boost me next year to Diamond so at least I could have the Global Upgrade Certificates!
Is it possible?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Can you benefit from C+ at booking? Do you have any award travel coming up that could change?

You could get the MQMs needed for Platinum but only have enough MQDs for Gold and that would give you the rollover you're looking for.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The RUCs can also be used on flights that you might not otherwise make an upgrade on. It trumps all unlimited free upgrades even of DMs. The only thing that would trump you then would be anyone using a GUC or a DM using a RUC. This can be of a lot of benefit on the transcons regardless of it's D1 or not. Especially if the equipment being used happens to have lie-flat seats, having a RUC will be beneficial. You can also use it for a companion on the same PNR as you to upgrade them. Thus could upgrade the wife on a trip you take together. Otherwise take the 20k Skymiles or 200$ Travel Voucher.

Of course PM status will move you up in the unlimited upgrade pool. Now you'll be in a higher bracket and more likely to make an upgrade.
Also DL is more willing to do "waivers and favors" for DM/PM members then Gold/Silver. You'll normally get hotels when they don't need to give them, better IRROPS handling, etc. If you fly on any Skyteam partner DL DM/PM a lot of times will get better seating selection and other benefits over Golds/Silvers. Also on non-skyteam partners, some of the benefits that you'd normally expect being a Gold and thus Skyteam ElitePlus are only given to DM/PM level.

Finally, no once you reach a new status level you can't decline it. It's automatic and there's no way to not be given the status.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
You will get complimentary preferred and economy comfort seats and Delta and some partners.
Also; President’s Circle status in the Hertz program
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Yes I think the timing of the C+ choice is a really big deal. Also, free award redeposits. I use RUCs all the time on non-D1 transcons (i.e. SEA-ATL) and I think they are worth it.

Also, you can just take the 20k miles if you really don't want the other choices.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:23 am

I didn't know they did complimentary Presidents Circle & FSC for Delta Diamond/Platinum and Gold members. Nice! I wonder when they snuck that feature in.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...s-benefit.html
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
+1 on the award redeposit flexibility.
Turns any award ticket into a full flex ticket, saves me hundreds of dollars (and yes, awards are sometimes pricey, but that's not a difference with gold)

Also a lot of the overlap here seems to be related to your Amex Platinum, not sure how much you're paying for that, but maybe you can save $ there?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
I didn't know they did complimentary Presidents Circle & FSC for Delta Diamond/Platinum and Gold members. Nice! I wonder when they snuck that feature in.

Totally useless -- you get the same "non-upgrade" and "non-nice" car as you did when you're a regular HERTZ GOLD
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall

I didn't know this either. Thanks for the link!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mayhem
+1 on the award redeposit flexibility.
Turns any award ticket into a full flex ticket, saves me hundreds of dollars (and yes, awards are sometimes pricey, but that's not a difference with gold)
Let's just say I could be accused of abusing the award redeposit. It is amazing for just booking any flight you might possibly need in the future.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Having been both Gold and Platinum, I can say the award redeposits were awesome. The folks that answered the phone the few times I called seemed a little better too. RUCs have worked pretty well too. Those are the three biggest things that I'll miss come 2/1. Dropping to FO.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips guys, I need to look a bit more about this Award Redeposit thing because I am not sure to understand how it all works
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Blackfox
Thanks for the tips guys, I need to look a bit more about this Award Redeposit thing because I am not sure to understand how it all works
Once you're plat or diamond, you can book award tickets and then cancel them (and get all of your miles back) at no cost (if you're gold or below, I believe it is a $150 fee to redeposit the miles). It's incredibly useful, especially if you have a fairly large balance of Sky Miles. I'll book the same itinerary shifted a week or two several times, then figure out which one works best with my schedule closer to trip time and cancel the redundant bookings.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I've been PM now for about 5-6 years. Gold for a year before that.
Upgrade % went up. I've always found a good use for the upgrade certificates.
I just used UG certs yesterday SLC-DCA and was at the top of a 40 person UG list. I got the UG. I also tend to use them for leisure routes to the caribbean for vacation where people mostly pay for the F seats.

If you don't want any of the other choice benefits take the 20k Skymiles.

The C+ at booking is great. This at least guarantees you a C+ seat if you don't get upgraded. These seats also give you free access to movies on Delta Studio, which others in coach pay for.

I also have the Amex Platinum card, but the cross over rewards with SPG give you some of the benefits you don't get with Gold and you get SPG points with DL purchases and vise versa. (I have to look at the benefits again side by side, but I recall something additional with the crossover rewards) With that said I'm a diamond with Hilton, and tend to stay at Hilton's 90% of the time.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Blackfox
I am actually wondering if there would be a way to renounce Platinum status, keep Gold, and have the rollover MQMs boost me next year to Diamond so at least I could have the Global Upgrade Certificates!
Is it possible?

Thanks
If you don't hit the MQD requirement for Platinum (and assuming no AmEx waiver too), it's possible. If you fly 75,000+ MQMs but don't hit $9K in MQDs, then anything over 50,000 would become rollover. This is especially easy to have happen if you do a lot of partner flying that nets you MQMs but no MQDs.

As others have mentioned, the award re-deposit is a huge perk and one of the biggest bumps going from GM to PM. I used that soon after crossing over to PM. Saved $300 already on a re-deposit and may save even more because it's possible some Skymiles tickets I booked for a couple family members might need to be canceled if they decide they can't go, and that will save me another $300. And it's nice to know I can play around with award tickets and book something I find acceptable now but know I can rebook for free if I find something better later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.