Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SCAM Alert: friend received an email for E-ticket never ordered???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCAM Alert: friend received an email for E-ticket never ordered???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:59 am

I see this kind of spam all the time, for many different airlines. The formatting is usually so broken you can't quite mistake it for a real ticket unless you're having a hangover
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
One of my co-workers got a similar email yesterday.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Since last year. First it was post cards for free trips, then fake ticket emails. Amazon also gets hit for these types of emails from time to time
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
Got a similar email, only it was from AA.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Got one myself, NO NAME. Had me flying Oct 13 to somewhere I can't recall with a price tagged at under $350 IIRC. There was an attachment which I assumed contained some bad thing. I checked my schedule to make sure I was not traveling that day and promptly deleted the email.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

What is the scam? Does the e-mail ask for payment?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

The emails have an attachment, which is likely malware.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
I have also gotten them from AA in the past and I have never bought a ticket on AA so I knew it was spam/phishing.

This alert is on DL.com, it was on the front page for a while & is now buried, but they are aware that this is a problem:

We have recently received reports from customers of fraudulent emails claiming to be from Delta Air Lines. As such, please be advised of the following:

We recommend you change your SkyMiles account PIN immediately and monitor your account for any misuse.
These emails were not sent by Delta Air Lines.
You should not click on the link in the email or open any attachments.
Instead, you should delete the email from your inbox.

These emails claim that you have purchased a Delta ticket, a credit card has been charged and/or an invoice or receipt is attached to the email. If you receive one of these emails, do not open the attachment as it may contain potentially dangerous viruses or harm your computer.

Be assured that Delta did not send these emails, and our customers’ credit cards have not been charged by Delta as a result of the emails. These emails did not originate from Delta, nor do we believe that any personal information that you provided us was used to generate these emails. We will continue to post updates on this page as additional information becomes available.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...hing/index.jsp
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by akonradi
Originally Posted by Yaatri

The emails have an attachment, which is likely malware.
So it's simply malware.

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
The scam is there is a zipped file attached that they want you to open...claiming it's your "ticket". When in reality, it's likely some sort of virus/trojan that will steal all of your money.

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Got something similar that my work's anti-virus filter flagged and blocked - identifying the following virus: Trojan-290, Mal/BredoZp-B

Mine was from [email protected]
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
The "from" field on an email is trivially forged. The real proof it's not from Delta is in the detailed headers, but tracking them is pretty much worthless nowadays. Delete. Move on.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Just got it. I've always wanted to go to SAT too. Oh well lol
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
Its been sent out before - often they ask you to open your attached boarding pass which is malware/virus etc.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
+1

These have been around for quite a while and Delta is well aware of them...

see:

https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...hing/index.jsp

Bob H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.