Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lynn Harrell, Virtuoso Cellist, Got His SM Account Cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lynn Harrell, Virtuoso Cellist, Got His SM Account Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Seems clear from the article, the cello had it's own SM account.

Did he give it a fake name? Yeah I could see where this would play havoc with manifests and lots of things.

I do see Delta's point. Musician wasn't just "buying a ticket" for his cello, they were engaging in a small lie, trying to reap benefits off it also. On the flip side of it, I get the point that it seems unfair.

C'est la vie.
Yes, I see that it is clear what he did. Does anyone know where the policy is stated that says you can't do that? I am just curious.

OK If you go to delta.com and try to "join" skymiles, one of the first things you have to do is state a title, first name, and last name. Does anyone know if generally presenting something like this for entities that are not human beings is in principle some kind of fraud or misrepresentation? It would seem that common sense would say that it is -- stories of FF cellos, cats with credit cards, etc. notwithstanding. Also, when one does book a seat for a cello, wouldn't there be name fields that have to be filled out.

PS The fact that they asked him to stop leaves the situation pretty well cut and dried.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Seems clear from the article, the cello had it's own SM account.

Did he give it a fake name? Yeah I could see where this would play havoc with manifests and lots of things.
Yeah, wouldn't the BP hafto have a TSA agent's initials the Mr. Cello's ID was checked?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by unclemax
A quote from Delta's letter:
"it has come to our attention that you have continued to earn miles for your cello even after you were advised in 2001 that this was not permitted... Due to this violation, Delta has terminated your membership..."
That strikes me as a crappy move on Delta's part: they let him do it for eleven years, then they terminate his membership the very minute he finally accumulated enough miles for a domestic roundtrip.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by CALlegacy
Yes, I see that it is clear what he did. Does anyone know where the policy is stated that says you can't do that? I am just curious.
It's pretty clear:

Mileage credit will not be given for the following:
Tickets purchased to carry excess baggage such as musical instruments and pets or to provide extra space for the primary passenger

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ules/index.jsp
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
What happens if he gets upgraded and his instrument doesn't?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
His account should have not been cancelled. End of story.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Traveller
What happens if he gets upgraded and his instrument doesn't?
I didn't know we could say thingz like that on here???
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by davetravels
I didn't know we could say thingz like that on here???
LOL!

It didn't sound bad when I wrote it! You have a dirty mind!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
LOL! <snip>

You have a dirty mind!
Thanx for the compliment!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I want to know how he got miles. I used to buy extra seats and could never figure out a way to get the extra miles. Wonder how he did it. Maybe the account was in the cello's name. If so, the gate agents obviously saw this and allowed it. IMHO, that's DL's bad and their reaction was draconian. I think this will come back to bite DL in the a$$.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
What would be the difference if I bought two seats on a plane for myself? I can't get double the miles, why would a musician? If they allowed this we Would all e buying two tickets on a flight, and the panes would be half empty. Does the cello ext upgraded to first class too?
Lol. What an inane response. First, do you really think everyone would be buying two plane tickets if they got double the miles? There are much cheaper ways to get miles (erm - just buy 'em outright?)... and second, why would DL (or any other airline) care if someone was willing to buy an extra ticket, and they could retain that revenue without the costs of a person actually flying... think of how much the airline would save on fuel and passenger processing if they could sell out every plane but only have to carry half a planeload.

Now I could *maybe* see an issue if they offered MQM's for the spare seat in addition to base miles.... especially for some mileage runners on very low priced tickets... But I disagree that everyone would be buying two (or as suggested earlier, ten) extra seats if they could earn base mileage on those seats. Even on the cheapest domestic tickets of say $300 r/t transcon, that's still a chunk of change to earn 3000-4000 miles.

I don't see why an airline would have a problem selling an extra seat (and, for that matter, awarding the requisite frequently flyer miles). Whether someone actually sits there or not is largely irrelevant, and in fact it could be argued that the empty seat is actually as profitable, if not more so, than if a passenger actually sat in it, given fuel savings etc.

And to the OP's point, there ARE (or at least in Europe, until recently, there were) some carriers that will award mileage for a second purchased seat... but clearly not Delta.

Last edited by SamuelS; Sep 28, 2012 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Bet he finds a status match.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:03 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SamuelS
Lol. What an inane response. First, do you really think everyone would be buying two plane tickets if they got double the miles? There are much cheaper ways to get miles (erm - just buy 'em outright?)... and second, why would DL (or any other airline) care if someone was willing to buy an extra ticket, and they could retain that revenue without the costs of a person actually flying... think of how much the airline would save on fuel and passenger processing if they could sell out every plane but only have to carry half a planeload.

Now I could *maybe* see an issue if they offered MQM's for the spare seat in addition to base miles.... especially for some mileage runners on very low priced tickets... But I disagree that everyone would be buying two (or as suggested earlier, ten) extra seats if they could earn base mileage on those seats. Even on the cheapest domestic tickets of say $300 r/t transcon, that's still a chunk of change to earn 3000-4000 miles.

I don't see why an airline would have a problem selling an extra seat (and, for that matter, awarding the requisite frequently flyer miles). Whether someone actually sits there or not is largely irrelevant, and in fact it could be argued that the empty seat is actually as profitable, if not more so, than if a passenger actually sat in it, given fuel savings etc.

And to the OP's point, there ARE (or at least in Europe, until recently, there were) some carriers that will award mileage for a second purchased seat... but clearly not Delta.
Airline has to weigh your point vs loss of ancillary fees with no passenger actually flying.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by unclemax
Do they realize who this guy is,
Why would Delta know who he is? Let's not exaggerate an act like this guy is Brad Pitt or something. He's a mostly anonymous musician playing a fringe instrument. Even if he's the best in the world at what he does, he's still only a big deal in a small circle.

Delta has a policy. If you get caught this is one of the consequences. You can buy transcon LUT fares for as little as $150. Double miles at $300 is a pretty good deal if someone wanted to buy two seats. Especially considering a M fare seat on the same route would probably be $800-$1200 for 1.5 miles.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
This seems fradulent to me because the letter was dated in this year, but the DL logo above the date is a logo from 2000-2007.

A cello doesn't have any reason to acquire miles. A cello is not a person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.