Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Segment flier unite! - Let's all ask the question about rollover segments.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, IHG Plat, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold, Hertz can suckit

I just sent a question to Delta the other day to see if they would be creating any bonus offers for segment fliers, or at least let us roll segments into the next year. According to the current Skymiles program that they refer to as a "Loyalty" program, my 85 segments are less "loyal" than 3 trip to asia.

According to Delta, their rollover program is new (started in 2009) That's 3 years of hosing the segment fliers!

Here was their canned response:

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment with our current Rollover policy. Currently, MQM's will automatically roll over to the next qualification year for SkyMiles Medallion members who earn MQM's over and above an earned Medallion status. We recognize that this does not benefit our Medallion members who achieve status via qualifying flight segments, and we regret that very much. Our Rollover program is new, introduced in 2009, and as with any new program, we continue to develop and review its application. We value your loyalty and appreciate your patience as we continue to perfect our SkyMiles Medallion Program.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
+1.

I'm currently at 130 segs, will hit 140 & DM by end of September and should have about 180 by year's end. I will probably do less flying next year and sure would like to start off the year with 40 rolled-over segs. For me, it's very significant bcuz the promotion from GM to PM was huge. I went from 30% to 100% UGs when I reached PM. My trips are 95% on SkyWest Delta Connection, 5% on mainline DL, and YMMV.

Dunno how to go about getting DL to seriously consider this change. I will also write a letter similar to yours, but we're going to need a lot more noise for it to be considered.

Based on what I'm hearing on this forum, I'm expecting a major change to the SkyPesos program next year, anyway, and this may all become moot.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM
You segment flyers flying short-haul midwest runs from hubs are carrying the bill for the whole operation. So many of these fares are extremely high. Wish it was all revenue-based so that the real cream could rise to the top.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
I wonder what prompted them to start MQM rollover in the first place. Is there a certain lucrative demographic that they were going after that qualify on miles, not segments? Or perhaps it is a benefit aimed at increasing loyalty in international markets, especially where many flyers may fly relatively infrequently?

I suspect, based on how much more profitable international flights are and the fact that segment qualifying only happens with primarily domestic flying, that segment rollover won't be happening anytime soon. I qualify on segments, and spend a hell of a lot in the process (way more than some "double-diamonds"), but think that segment rollover would lead to more LUT flyers at higher elite ranks.

As a segment qualifier, it pains me to say this, but I doubt it's ever going to happen.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
+1

I humbly suggest you also ask for a "segment bonus multiplier" on premium fares, similar to a MQM bonus. United offers this.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
You segment flyers flying short-haul midwest runs from hubs are carrying the bill for the whole operation. So many of these fares are extremely high. Wish it was all revenue-based so that the real cream could rise to the top.
You can say that as well for SE short-haul flyers. I fly ATL-TLH about every other week and some other direct short flights out of Atlanta that are of often $400 to $650. It's $650 for a 250 mile flight. I'm probably going to end the year with about 40 segments but only 20k MQM's despite the fact I will have given Delta $12k+ in revenue to fly about the same distance as 3 trips to LAX which I can buy for about $1,000.

And yes I will be bitter when I drop down to Silver next year with no roll-over and get a about the same benefits as having a $95 Delta AMEX. Delta will not make any changes because they know that people who have travel patterns like mine are hub-captive. I can understand Delta maximizing fares but what doesn't make business sense to me is Delta not acknowledging the value the short distance/high fare travelers bring to the business.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by donjc451
You can say that as well for SE short-haul flyers. I fly ATL-TLH about every other week and some other direct short flights out of Atlanta that are of often $400 to $650. It's $650 for a 250 mile flight. I'm probably going to end the year with about 40 segments but only 20k MQM's despite the fact I will have given Delta $12k+ in revenue to fly about the same distance as 3 trips to LAX which I can buy for about $1,000.

And yes I will be bitter when I drop down to Silver next year with no roll-over and get a about the same benefits as having a $95 Delta AMEX. Delta will not make any changes because they know that people who have travel patterns like mine are hub-captive. I can understand Delta maximizing fares but what doesn't make business sense to me is Delta not acknowledging the value the short distance/high fare travelers bring to the business.
OMG this was sooo me this year. Spent around $15K to get GM. Nothing is worse than waiting to board with Zone 1 when 85% of the flight has SP. I've started adding on flights to SFO and killing my sundays just get to PM. I hate you delta!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:38 pm

I'm in the same boat as many of you; myself flying FLL-ATL every week on F tickets. I spend about $3,200 dollars a month.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I'm in the same boat as many of you; myself flying FLL-ATL every week on F tickets. I spend about $3,200 dollars a month.
Isn't that at least 6k MQMs and 8 segments per month? By my calculation, that puts you at 96 segments and 72k MQMs per year. You should easily be able to reach PM. That sounds better than spending this much on Y tickets (not YBM fares) and only ending up GM and never seeing the F cabin!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
72K MQMs? Minimum miles would be 500 per segment. At 150% for FC, this is 1500 MQMs per week X 52 weeks per year which is 78,000 MQMs annually, certainly enough for PM. It also should be 104 segments.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Hilton-Diamond, Hertz-President's Circle
This is a fitting first post for me on FT.

At the end of this week, I'll be at 171 segments (and under 100k miles) on the year. I've flown at least 4 segments every week the past 2.5 years, and often times I'll fly 8 segments per week. I truly feel that Delta does very little in the way of rollover for people who fly similar schedules to me.

Unlike a customer who has to remain loyal for 3-4 trips to Asia each year, I remain loyal 2-4 times per week, 50 weeks per year, based on booking RT's V one-ways. I do wish Delta would do more in the way of honoring these segments that greatly exceed the minimum qualifications of their "top tier" program.

Also, about 50% of my flights are on CRJ-200's, so I'm eagerly anticipating the 717's joining the fleet next year.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by ContenderGator
This is a fitting first post for me on FT.

At the end of this week, I'll be at 171 segments (and under 100k miles) on the year. I've flown at least 4 segments every week the past 2.5 years, and often times I'll fly 8 segments per week. I truly feel that Delta does very little in the way of rollover for people who fly similar schedules to me.

Unlike a customer who has to remain loyal for 3-4 trips to Asia each year, I remain loyal 2-4 times per week, 50 weeks per year, based on booking RT's V one-ways. I do wish Delta would do more in the way of honoring these segments that greatly exceed the minimum qualifications of their "top tier" program.

Also, about 50% of my flights are on CRJ-200's, so I'm eagerly anticipating the 717's joining the fleet next year.
Sounds like we do the same kind of flying....
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm on track to end the year just shy of 40 segments and I *might* hit 25k MQM. Certainly not a lot of flying by any means, but I also just got dinner with a friend who hit FO on two TATL RTs for a total of 8 segments.

He himself said he was surprised to get his FO card, since he didn't consider himself a frequent enough flyer to a) even be interested in it or b) care about any of the benefits.

Rollover would be nice for sure, but I think really anything that helps to acknowledge that segment flyers often spend more and tend to be more loyal by virtue of the number of times they select DL over other carriers. It's pretty easy to consider DL for a handful of long-haul trips, but a bit more thinking and conscious effort might be needed to make the decision to stick with DL for every trip each week/month/whatever.

Also, ContendorGator, I generally disapprove of any gators, but....wow. At least my segments tend to be on MD-88s and 757s!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
I really feel for you segment guys. I seldom have to see the inside of a CRJ.

I will wind up a DM soon (had 49k rollover, will wind up with ~150k MQM). Of that essentially 100k MQM, 71k MQM will be earned on flights of 3k miles or more (only 12 segments!). Of course, my problem is that the only elite benefits of my status will be EC seats, lounge access, and FC from MSP/DTW/ATL to MCI (mostly on RJs). I have only used 1 of my SWU this year, which means a lot of 8+ hour flying in Y. 100k EQM on AA would mean a lot of (useful) SWU, so far less flying in coach TPAC.

The really lucky folks are those who earn PM/DM status all on 2-3 hour mainline flights and/or cheap transcons. I seldom even have time to transit a SkyClub, and this will diminish further when I move back to the States next year. My elite benefits cost DL little, and TPAC flights have been highway robbery of late. At least it is easy to redeem skymiles...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
A segment rollover would be great, as I do a lot of under-500 mile segments and 4-segment day trips as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.