Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Prohibits Recline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Or if you don't want to have the passenger in front of you recline his/her seat as permitted by the airline, you can simply fly Allegiant and Spirit.

David
I'm ready for DL to join the club and discontinue the permitting of seat reclineage. I'd definitely pay more for the privilege. Oh yeah, I currently do this. I check seat availability before booking ANY flight. I will not book a seat that has a recliner in front of it and sometimes I have to pay more for the flight. My fear is IRROPS and a new seat assignment that is behind a reclining seat.

Honestly, the EC thing is overblown in my book. I'd much rather have a section of the airplane w/out recliners in it. I'd take the decreased pitch (as if EC were so great anyhow) to guarantee a no recliner seat in front of me.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Round 2 This week of "Don't you recline":

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/29/travel...html?hpt=hp_t2

Except this time the PAX took it a bit too far with the FA.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I'm ready for DL to join the club and discontinue the permitting of seat reclineage. I'd definitely pay more for the privilege. Oh yeah, I currently do this. I check seat availability before booking ANY flight. I will not book a seat that has a recliner in front of it and sometimes I have to pay more for the flight. My fear is IRROPS and a new seat assignment that is behind a reclining seat.

Honestly, the EC thing is overblown in my book. I'd much rather have a section of the airplane w/out recliners in it. I'd take the decreased pitch (as if EC were so great anyhow) to guarantee a no recliner seat in front of me.
http://www.deltaprivatejets.com/jet_card.aspx
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by tom_MN
How is this statement different from, "If someone has an anus, you have no right to prevent them from farting."
Ladies and Gentlemen please note that this a Non-farting flight. Farting the lavatory is also prohibited. Federal law prohibits tampering with or otherwise disabling the fart detector installed in the lavatory and is subject to a $2000 fine.

Queue Deltalina finger wag:

After the forward door is closed flight attendants will be coming around with butt plugs and lube for sale. You may purchase one for $2.00 each or $3.00 for an extra large. If you have your own personal butt plug please feel to insert it. And unlike oxygen masks please secure your own butt plug and do not assist your neighbor unless they ask. Now sit back and enjoy flight we will be taking off at any minute.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Aug 29, 2014 at 2:01 pm
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Or if you don't want to have the passenger in front of you recline his/her seat as permitted by the airline, you can simply fly Allegiant and Spirit.

David
Agreed. Ryanair and others do the same in Europe...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:54 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I have never understood the seat recliners. "I am so important that I can cause great discomfort to another for a tiny personal gain" seems to be their motto.
The 3" the seat reclines causes great discomfort? Do you weigh 500 lbs. or are you claustrophobic?

I fly in FC when available or EC but on barbie jets I just accept it as part of the package. If the person in front of me reclines and I don't I take it as a personal attack on my space and I don't act like a spoiled brat by kicking the seat.

This is a public conveyance. I'm next to kettles, lice and just plain folks who I would probably never invite into my home but that doesn't mean I have to be nasty.

Most of the people who react violently (or passive-aggressive with kicks and the knee defender) do so because this is just another crappy part of flying. Between long lines, TSA gropes, TA's that are overworked and unhappy, flight delays with no reasons provided, expensive parking, overpriced food and water and a plethora of petty charges like the 51st pound in the luggage or a $200 change fee most travelers are fed up and angry. Taking out the rage on a person next to you seems easier than fighting with a faceless airline or uncaring arm of DHS.

SO when someone reclines their seat - calm down and STFU. It isn't a personal affront to your masculinity.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
I only recline after the person in front of me reclines. I don't want to spend that much time looking at the hair follicles or lack thereof of the passenger in front of me! Ironically, usually the first people to recline are sitting in the bulkhead seats. I do wish none of the seats reclined.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
You may control the recline button but I control this:

Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by puddinhead
The 3" the seat reclines causes great discomfort? Do you weigh 500 lbs. or are you claustrophobic?
When one's knees are already against the back of the chair in front before it reclines, it means having to sit sideways as long as the seat is down. It is also impossible to eat on the tray when the seat ahead is reclined (this is food I brought on the plane, and of course no onions or french fries!).

Like I said, we have both anuses (ani?) and recliner buttons but decent people choose not to use either in flight when others so close.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
When one's knees are already against the back of the chair in front before it reclines, it means having to sit sideways as long as the seat is down. It is also impossible to eat on the tray when the seat ahead is reclined (this is food I brought on the plane, and of course no onions or french fries!).

Like I said, we have both anuses (ani?) and recliner buttons but decent people choose not to use either in flight when others so close.
Airlines allow both flatulence AND reclining. You like neither, rent a private jet, and hold in your meadow muffins, and sit erect.

I find snoring pretty aggravating too, but realize most people cant control it. Farting is kinda the same way. Humans fart like 30-40 times a day on average, and medical doctors advise against holding them in.
Moral of the story, you are complaining about coach seats. If you want more space fly private, or upfront. (Though wind breakers (not the jacket variety) frequent first class too)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
The flight attendant should have stated that he was violating FAA regulations BANNING that equipment on the plane.
Haha, nice try, but preventing a seat from reclining isn't violating any FAA regulation.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by corporate666
I realize this post is over 2 years old, but my OCD and pedantism is in full swing

The claim above is incorrect. Read the code. Intimidating an FA is not against the law - INTERFERING in their duties or ability to perform those duties through intimidation is against the law. It may seem like a trivial distinction, but it is not.

Sorry, I had to
Sorry, but you're wrong. It is in fact a trivial distinction, because there is no case where intimidating an FA would not interfere with or lessen his ability to perform.

(One who assaults, threatens, or intimidates a flight crew member or attendant while aboard an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, and thereby interferes with the performance of that crew member's duties or lessens the ability of that crew member to perform his/her duties is punishable under this subsection.)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:34 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by telloh
Sorry, but you're wrong. It is in fact a trivial distinction, because there is no case where intimidating an FA would not interfere with or lessen his ability to perform.

(One who assaults, threatens, or intimidates a flight crew member or attendant while aboard an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, and thereby interferes with the performance of that crew member's duties or lessens the ability of that crew member to perform his/her duties is punishable under this subsection.)
That's a subtle nuance lost on UA FA's. Intimidation on UA usually results in flight diversion.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by corporate666
The "blaring TV in the hotel room" analogy is also false. There are noise laws and blaring a TV at 3am is outside of normal courtesy and would reasonably disturb the peace of another individual.
In this analogy, just as in real life, the blaring TV is disturbing the customer next door, not anybody on the street. There isn't a noise law anywhere that applies to a private place. It's a matter internal to the private property of the hotel. It's a matter for the hotel to deal with, just like reclining passengers are a matter for an airline to deal with. The point is: the TV-blarer is using the device exactly as it's designed to be used, and he paid to use it.

As many have suggested, shouldn't anybody offended just rent a suite or stay in a private lodge instead, the equivalent of flying in the first class cabin?

Hotels tend to tell impolite people to cut it out. Airlines don't.

But you are right about one thing. Blaring a TV at 3AM and egregious seat-reclining, such as into the knees of a tall person, are outside the bounds of normal courtesy, because they are offensive to other humans.

Last edited by telloh; Aug 29, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by N639DL
Another issue with seat reclining...

AA 62 MIA-CDG diverted to BOS. One passenger was arrested and charged w/ obstructing the flight crew after he was angry about a female in front of him reclining her seat.

He was taken to the hospital because of pre-exisiting medical conditions (high blood pressure and diabetes).

Air marshals had to get involved and take him into custody. This person is from France and was released on his own recognizance (in other words without any bail being set)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-boston.html

American Airlines seems to be having some trouble this week with French men. This is the second incident.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elled-bad.html

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/2...ted-to-boston/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.