Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta into (and out of?) refinery business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta into (and out of?) refinery business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by nfg05
Is that the goal of a title?
Yes, ask anyone in a high school journalism class.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by sethb
When Delta buys jet fuel, it pays taxes. I don't know what the tax situation would be if it burned its own fuel, but there might prove a use for all those MBAs in ATL after all.
It's worse than that -- are they going to pay to ship it to every airport they serve -- or sell it to others or .....?

<lol>

Bob H
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nfg05
They would not run the refinery themselves, but would contract to someone who actually knows what they're doing.
Yes, and the folks who used to run it (who have been in the oil business since 1929) are selling it because they could not profitably run it.

On the bright side, maybe running a refinery would take up so much management time that they would be distracted from their usual attention to screwing up Sky Miles.

And we could get a change in Anderson's pre-flight PR video... "Each day, I get to sit behind the desk of E. W. Marland..."
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I read about this news item in the USA Today, WSJ, and NYT today. Kind of funny.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AdamS
This makes no sense.
Since when is that a requirement?

O/H
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by azeckel
It shouldn't matter at all. If DL buys a refinery, that refinery becomes part of its operations and costs and revenues from it flow directly to the income statement. If the spread is really high, then DL would essentially suck profits out of the refining division to subsidize the airline. They would achieve the same financial results as selling jet fuel on the open market from the refinery and buying it at the same rate for the airline. The ONLY way it makes sense is if there is some synergy that would allow them to operate the refinery more efficiently than others in the market, thereby increasing their "crack spread". To me, I just don't see how operating an airline qualifies anyone to run a refinery.
I doubt it has anything to do with knowing how to run a refinery.

It is a cheaper way to hedge.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Forbes chimes in:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevesch...pmorgans-help/

BTW... if DL management is still breathing a sigh of relief due to having their FA union problems behind them, wait until they start dealing with the USW in a refinery context. They may get some concessions early on, in return for saving the refinery... but longer-term paybacks may be a PITA.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:07 am

Delta’s Oil Refinery Deal

I found this take interesting:

http://moneymorning.com/2012/04/13/i...p-for-a-crash/
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Not the best headline: "... setting DAL up for a crash." Was this inadvertent and if not, anyone over there with any sense of taste?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Not the best headline: "... setting DAL up for a crash." Was this inadvertent and if not, anyone over there with any sense of taste?
The whole subject is crude...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
I think they were just trying to refine their argument
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Although the deal is not with Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan is obviously viewing DL as a muppet. At least somebody will make money off the deal but it certainly will not be Delta.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sabai
The whole subject is crude...
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
I think they were just trying to refine their argument
I am trying to distill the "logic" underlying this move.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:41 am

I remember Virgin Atlantic wanting to do something like this a while ago.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by adamj023
What bothers me is that the high oil prices we are seeing which the airlines are complaining about aren't because of lack of supply. It is because of things just like the inactive Conoco refining facility and the lack of a true policy by the government and to interfere in businesses and in new oil rigs and the like and refusing to build out new pipelines and other infrastructure needed. [snip]

It is an east coast refinery and is geographically located well for Delta. But we have a government that REFUSES to implement things like the Keystone Pipeline.

The question for Delta is can they make it work for them to reduce their existing fuel costs. Refineries turn raw fuel stock into finished materials.

And fuel comes from various locations but is cheaper and more efficient to pipe in.
The US is a net exporter of fuels. That is to say we export more refined fuels than we import crude. The idea of Keystone lowering retail prices is dubious at best and pretty sinister at worst. It's been reported that there is a $2bn tax incentive not to sell a drop of the finished fuels in the US. The prices of finished fuels on the international market are marginally related to domestic prices.

One thing that is definite is folks in Northern border states that get their natural gas from Canada will get socked with higher natural gas prices. Oil sand processing uses a tremendous amounts of natural gas. That pipeline will pull billions of cubic ft of natural gas off the export market. That has real effects on heating and electrical production in the United States. Both of which Xcel energy is a major player in domestically. One has to ask will Xcel be laughing their way to the bank when the deal gets done (at the expense of consumer and US industry)?

We have more oil in North Dakota than we can transport today. One has to ask if the reason we don't hear nearly as much about that problem?

Delta is making an interesting gamble. It could be because of the junk credit status, but one has to wonder why JP Morgan would get into this as the money man.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.