Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's CRJs are KILLING me!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ashill
You do have the option of connecting on two mainline or larger regional jets with F on those routes, don't you?

Aside: 110 nights in hotels this year, 72 days into the year? Now that's something!
Don't know about the OP, but I too am stuck on them quite a bit, only rarely do I get anything BUT a CRJ 200, occasionally getting a 700/900, or for a REAL treat, a MD-88/90/DC-9. In all my flying last year, I only had 1 flight that was on anything else, an Airbus 319 to San Diego. That was a real treat flying up front on a "real" plane. Unfortunately, I do NOT have the option of driving to another airport, nothing within 4 hours, except Tulsa, which is no better than OKC for the little planes.

I don't mind the 700/900's, but I despise the 200's, and try and move times around to get something else when possible, but, for all the little places I go, it's just NOT possible unfortunately.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Paddlenpedal
I don't mind the 700/900's, but I despise the 200's, and try and move times around to get something else when possible, but, for all the little places I go, it's just NOT possible unfortunately.
+1

Actually, the 900s are some of my favorite planes... quick boarding, good F/Y ratio, and if you get the upgrade you can't beat the single seat side of FC where you get window and aisle with nobody to hog the armrest!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Just not big on gatechecking after a flight where the gatechecked luggage went missing for a week.
How does/did gatechecked luggage possibly go missing??? That's incompetence on a rather grand scale.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
I think when it comes to expensive tickets, I don't mind paying to fly, however, I feel so duped when I have to pay $600 from DCA-JFK/BOS on a E145. Makes me just want to purchase a low fare from IAD to DUB/LHR/LIS just to get on a big jet and pay the same price just to get a better plane experience!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Here is what I want to see when I shop for flights:
- Many different departure times, spread throughout the entire day.
- Flights to smaller markets (so I don't have to drive from ATL to Mayberry)
- Low cost

The type of hardware comes in at a distance 4th compared to the other three. I must be the reason that DL uses the 50-seaters.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:28 am

Now that Delta has made 1B/1C on the CRJ available for purchase it makes thinks a tad more comfortable. Since I have short legs for my height as long as I am in an aisle seat of the CRJ I can tolerate it for flights under 500 miles (broad shoulders make the window seat uncomfortable). That being said if I have to be on a RJ lacking first class I would prefer exit row on the ERJ
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, National Executive, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
But don't feel like you are alone UA/CO actually use more of these from large market airports than DL. The AA Embrarer regional jets are a little better than the CRJ.
Really? I hadn't been on an ER-145 in a while but I managed to catch the end of the DL/AA codeshare out of LAX on a recent flight to SBA. It was hands down the worst flight experience of the last few years for me. At least the CRJ has overhead bins on both sides, and an aisle wide enough to walk through without having to take my attache case off my shoulder. I'm bummed that there's no service to SBA any more, but I'm not sure I wouldn't just fly to BUR or LAX given a choice anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
ERJ-135/140/145 aircraft are better if you can get a seat on the single side. If you're on the two-seat side...I'm sorry.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
If I recall correctly, Delta will retire/store/return all CRJ200's by 2014(?).

My assumption is that they will backfill those routes with larger/less frequent aircraft.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by FlyingForEternity
If I recall correctly, Delta will retire/store/return all CRJ200's by 2014(?).

My assumption is that they will backfill those routes with larger/less frequent aircraft.
For some reason, I'd thought they would be keeping them a little longer than that, simply because there are so many out there to replace, and even the 70-seat economics are starting to not look so hot.

If DL doesn't order some turboprops, an end to CRJ-100/200 flying would effectively kill quite a few cities in their route network that can't support CRJ-700s at a frequency to make the route worthwhile.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
For some reason, I'd thought they would be keeping them a little longer than that, simply because there are so many out there to replace, and even the 70-seat economics are starting to not look so hot.

If DL doesn't order some turboprops, an end to CRJ-100/200 flying would effectively kill quite a few cities in their route network that can't support CRJ-700s at a frequency to make the route worthwhile.
Delta is trying to get rid as many CRJ-200's because they are not fuel efficient. The only benefit to keep CRJ-200 as you stated, is to serve small cities that can't warrant CRJ-700/900 service.

Last edited by DMPM; Mar 12, 2012 at 4:53 pm
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum100, Marriott Platinum
Well I'm sitting on the plane. Only seat available was 1a. Worst seat on the plane. 2 hours of hell here I come.

They actually think this seat is a premium seat. Joke.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA/WN
Living in GFK, I can feel your pain. The CRJ has to be the one of the worst planes providing commercial service in the USA right now, and i only have to suffer on them for 45 minutes at a time! Ive never understood why Delta and their partners feel the need to have 5 turns MSP-GFK on a CRJ2 instead of 2 or 3 on a CRJ9 or mainline.

Anything longer than an hour on a CRJ2 is just not enjoyable for anybody.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs

2 hours is 1hr and 40 mins too long in those things, especially if you are over 5 feet tall.
This may not be a popular thing to say on this board, but having just spent 12 hours in Biz Elite (JFK-TLV) I will take 2 hours in the worst seat in a Barbie jet over it anytime.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Always great to start off for Europe or Asia on a Barbie Jet!
But not as bad as having to spend 2 hours on one after flying over either pond....especially if you've just flown up front....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.