Wiki Posts
Search

Delta (Japan) Credit Cards- Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO, ANA nobody
Delta (Japan) Credit Cards- Thoughts?

Anyone have any of the Japan-issued Delta credit cards (JCB, Citibank, etc.)?

What are your opinions on them- worth it? How easy were they to get?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
ゾハルさんへ、
FLYERTALKにいらしゃいませ!お元気ですか。
済みません、日本語を勉強しております。だから、ここから英語で返事を書く。それでは、質問がある時英語と 日本語も大丈夫。少しずつ、じょじょに日本語も使います。でも、難しいね「外人ですから」

With regards to the card, please note that the fee in Japan is such that does not (IMHO) make it worthwhile to hold a card. You can find on their website codes for first year discount, but there are better JCB cards in terms of points and spending.
http://www.jcb.co.jp/ordercard/teike...a_card_tk.html
Also, you should note that the card does not provide welcome bonus. At 1 mile per 100 yen, I would consider other reward programs of Japanese credit cards, including even the AMEX Japan. You will get better return.

As for the content of the commercials in Japan, I think there is a even borderline "misleading" element here. Delta increase the intra-asia redemption rates well above 25,000 miles. However, it is still published (looked above) at 25,000 miles for redemption. It is just incorrect.

So, these are my 200 yen on the matter. If you do want JCB cards, there are better ones.

Oh, and just to be on the safe side- Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Citibank Japan offers Delta Skymiles credit cards as well -- Check them out here (Japanese only).

I had one of the JCB Delta cards as well -- the least expensive Takeoff card that only gave 1 mile for every ¥200 and a paltry 1000 mile bonus (annual fee was cheap, so I guess there's that.). I had it for a month this year. I cancelled it because it was basically a charge card parading as a credit card -- the brilliant minds at JCB decided to give me a ¥0 revolving credit line, which means that anything I charge must be paid in full on the due date. That's all and well, but if there was ever an emergency, the card could become a financial liability, so I didn't continue to keep it. The funny part is that it was my 2nd credit card with JCB in Japan, the first being a JAL Mileage Club one, and that one had traditional credit card features like revolving payments. Not sure why they were so hung up on the Delta one. Both cards even had to draw from the same credit limit.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

DLroadsさんへ、
暖かいご歓待ありがとうございました! こちらもまだ勉強しておりますので、よろしくお願いし ます〜

I was wondering how beneficial the JCB cards really were... I understand JCB to be a great company in general, but the Delta-mash up just doesn't seem as much of a deal/お得 as their other cards (ANA, JAL).

As for Citibank, they don't seem to accept payment from Rakuten (my main bank) or even Japan Post, so I'm hesitant to go through all of the trouble of making a third bank account for the sake of attempting to try for a card similar to JCB's...

Do many Japan residents out there just keep Delta separate for international stuff only and concentrate on accumulating points for domestic airlines, or is transferring points from non-airline cards to your Delta accounts the norm?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:55 am

I used to be a Star Alliance customer, but my works prefers travel on both Delta and JAL, so I thought leaving UA-CO and ANA was the wisest idea.

Now I rely on my ANA Visa in Japan for Japanese transactions and international transactions that benefit from the strong Yen. If I want to accumulate Delta miles, I use my US AMEX for that. I think it's best that DL customers in Japan have a backup account with either JAL or ANA for the occasional domestic flight or route not served well by ST (most int'l HND routes, for example).
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
The answer is truly a function of your travel patterns. ANA or JAL would give you better return to your loyality if you plan to keep traveling in East Asia and or Japan-the rest of the world (i.e. NRT-US, NRT-EU). Also, IMHO, the ANA CC provides better return. Or, I may be biased by my Japanese teacher(s) (in plural) opinion on this one.

Also, if you are a 'more frequent' flyer, ANA elite status would eventually give you *A gold status, which is very very useful.

I feel sad to say it, but DL has a lot to do until it becomes a 'decent' competitor within the far east market. No real offerings in Japan travel, and limited offering in connections, etc. If you are staying based in Japan for 2 years or more, I would go with ANA for mileage accumulation. If you are planning to stay a shorter period, and consider future US based location, then it's a different game.

For the cards, see also above the citicard one. I would still say it has some limitations compared with other benefits.

Originally Posted by Zohar
DLroadsさんへ、
暖かいご歓待ありがとうございました! こちらもまだ勉強しておりますので、よろしくお願いし ます〜

I was wondering how beneficial the JCB cards really were... I understand JCB to be a great company in general, but the Delta-mash up just doesn't seem as much of a deal/お得 as their other cards (ANA, JAL).

As for Citibank, they don't seem to accept payment from Rakuten (my main bank) or even Japan Post, so I'm hesitant to go through all of the trouble of making a third bank account for the sake of attempting to try for a card similar to JCB's...

Do many Japan residents out there just keep Delta separate for international stuff only and concentrate on accumulating points for domestic airlines, or is transferring points from non-airline cards to your Delta accounts the norm?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:22 am
Original Poster

I appreciate all the tips here.

Although I originally started out with ANA when I first moved here (over JAL, since Delta and ANA were still both Skyteam partners then...), I've started looking at JAL because it seems like it's easier for a foreigner to get a credit card with them (any truth to this?). For people who did get a card with ANA, which card did you go with? Why do you think you passed the screening?

I live in Kanto now but often fly to Kyushu to visit the in-laws several times a year. We also fly overseas to America/etc. periodically. So both Delta and a local airline would be the best combination, but I'm still having trouble deciding on who...
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:43 am

I got my first 2 Japanese credit cards while I was still an international student. They both had low limits (¥100,000 each), but I could earn miles.

The first card was an ANA Student Visa by Mitsui Sumitomo. The second was the JCB JAL card. I got both on my first try, and both within 2 months of each other.

The ANA student card didn't renew itself automatically, probably because I graduated, and I had to apply for a new one. Got that one too. The JAL card renewed itself automatically and they tripled the limit when I changed my status to 会社員(社会人).

So I personally can't say if JCB or Mitsui Sumitomo are harder than one another for non-Japanese citizens. But since Visa obviously has more clout than JCB worldwide, that would be my first option.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:38 am
Original Poster

So I take it you applied within a short period of time for both (within the 6 month credit bureau period)? Would you say that it's safe to try for two at once? (Instead of trying once every 6 months?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Zohar
So I take it you applied within a short period of time for both (within the 6 month credit bureau period)? Would you say that it's safe to try for two at once? (Instead of trying once every 6 months?
I already had credit history with both Sumitomo and JCB, so I think that had something to do with it. If you're new at this, I don't suggest doing this...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: DLDM
Primary being based in Fukuoka and Kyoto, I use the ANA card and AMEX plat.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

I couldn't find a definite yes or no on the JCB site, but do the Delta JCB cards give mileage bonuses when you buy Delta tickets? (Like when many ANA cards give a 10% mileage bonus for purchasing actual ANA flight tickets?)

If the answer is no, then that might settle it for me about this card.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:30 pm

The Takeoff card didn't (spent ¥130,000 on a ticket on Delta.com and only got about 800 miles out of it). The others don't say anything explicit either.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:39 am
Original Poster

If you have to ask, the answer's probably no...

I wish the Delta Amex was available in Japan too (American citizen but Japanese resident...)
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:47 pm

Well, Zohar, you are getting your wish after all because Delta and Amex have announced 2 Delta Amex cards aimed at the Japanese market!

Delta Skymiles American Express

Delta Skymiles American Express Gold Card

The basic card gets members automatic Silver Medallion; the gold card gets members automatic Gold Medallion. Definitely a lucrative card to have...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.