Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OK if I use the space under the seat in front of you??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, SPG, Hertz

Interesting occurrence the other day, in F (2A) and settled in, headphones on and generally oblivious to the usual last-minute roller bag shuffle. Unbeknownst to me, the woman seated next to me (2B) has taken pity on a late-arriving customer with a roller bag, and pulls down a large duffel from the overhead and sticks it into the space under the seat in front of me... she may have asked and I didn't hear her, but I doubt it. She had a small briefcase under her seat, so it wouldn't have fit in front of her. It barely fit in front of me (I was secretly hoping the FA would say "that doesn't fit there," but no such luck).

At this point I take off the headset. Of course, the woman with the roller is thanking me profusely... and I just didn't have the heart or energy to argue. But the wry smile from the lady next to me who instigated did annoy me a bit.

Here is the punch line - I ended up having a nice conversation with my seatmate... who turned out to be a Delta executive. I won't mention her title because I'm sure there is only one of her in the company. But, the whole incident took on a new meaning for me when I realized she was scoring points for Delta.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've never seen it in 150+ flights per year over many years, but maybe I'm just lucky . I can't imagine just randomly doing this to someone next to me...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Did you show her your KM tags?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, kudos to you for being the "nice guy." But extra annoying that her large duffel was in front of you while she kept her small briefcase in front of her, huh?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:40 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Something similar happened to me once. My seatmate couldn't fit her briefcase under the seat in front of her due to the size of the electronics box, so she started to put it under the seat in front of me. Didn't ask. I offered to switch seats so she'd have the room she needed, but she refused. When I then said I didn't want her bag in front of me, she was quite miffed, but found overhead space for it instead.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:30 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
My seatmate would need to have a very high BQ for me to agree to a duffel where I put my feet.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
So now, not only are the non revs taking U/G's, now they are taking other pax underseat storage!!!! Where does this madness end?

Seriously, I am not sure I would be too happy if someone did this to me. I dislike when the person in the window uses the middle well of the seats in front on a A319/320, thus eliminating my aisle seat foot space in FC...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
So now, not only are the non revs taking U/G's, now they are taking other pax underseat storage!!!! Where does this madness end?

Seriously, I am not sure I would be too happy if someone did this to me. I dislike when the person in the window uses the middle well of the seats in front on a A319/320, thus eliminating my aisle seat foot space in FC...
I'm always in the window on these flights, and I can't tell you how pissed it makes me when the person in the aisle seat sticks their bag in the middle well. Maybe you should ask, or put it in your space, or in the overhead. I know "your" space is small, but don't assume I'm ok with your giant bag taking up the entire well. On the flip side, they do make really nice footrests for my right foot during the flight
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by taylorc418
I'm always in the window on these flights, and I can't tell you how pissed it makes me when the person in the aisle seat sticks their bag in the middle well. Maybe you should ask, or put it in your space, or in the overhead. I know "your" space is small, but don't assume I'm ok with your giant bag taking up the entire well. On the flip side, they do make really nice footrests for my right foot during the flight
Lucky for you, i am a true gate louse, board first, and make sure both of my carry ons fit comfortably in the OH bin...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Lucky for you, i am a true gate louse, board first, and make sure both of my carry ons fit comfortably in the OH bin...
Well played! It is far too early in PST for me to come up with a witty response.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Oh Please, really?

There is plenty of leg room for the window pax under their seat if there is a bag in the middle. I do not know of any bag or briefcase that fits in that small space to the right.

It is more annoying that a pax puts a bag in the OH that would easily fit there especially in row 2 when the bulkhead folks have no choice but to put all their stuff in OH.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unhappy Optional

There is no real debate here. If someone asks you if it's OK to do something to which you don't have to agree, it's your option to say "yes" or "no." Same thing as someone asking you to grab something from the OH, switch seats, or anything else. If it's OK with you, say "yes." If it's not, say "no." But, there's nothing wrong with asking.

As to the question of DL execs taking "Upgrades," they aren't. Someone at a presumably senior level is flying non-rev in positive space, e.g., confirmed F. It's likely in her contract and it's perfectly appropriate. No different than the CEO who has a car and driver while the peons take Super Shuttle. Upgrades are that, freebies for the lucky at the end of the food chain. There's no entitlement and those who think that DL shouldn't do this are free to fly UA, but will find the same.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:37 am

Well played! It is far too early in PST for me to come up with a witty response.
Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Often1

As to the question of DL execs taking "Upgrades," they aren't. Someone at a presumably senior level is flying non-rev in positive space, e.g., confirmed F. It's likely in her contract and it's perfectly appropriate. No different than the CEO who has a car and driver while the peons take Super Shuttle. Upgrades are that, freebies for the lucky at the end of the food chain. There's no entitlement and those who think that DL shouldn't do this are free to fly UA, but will find the same.
Too early for your sarcasm detector??
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Wow, I always take the window seat too and I always just assume that the "middle" well is for the person in the aisle. There is plenty of room in front of the window seat. If you really get pissed when this happens you may need to reevaluate your priorities.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Wow, I always take the window seat too and I always just assume that the "middle" well is for the person in the aisle. There is plenty of room in front of the window seat. If you really get pissed when this happens you may need to reevaluate your priorities.
+1

I'm pretty sure that poster would put his bags in the middle well as well if he/she was in the aisle seat...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.