Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Redeeming SkyMiles on Shanghai Airlines (FM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:17 am
Original Poster

The adventures trying to use SkyPesos in SE Asia continue. Have had 3 DM agents tell me that they cannot book Shanghai Airlines flights using SkyMiles. Seems to be in direct contradiction with this SkyTeam news release posted on Delta's own website on Jun 21, 2011:

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1397

Effective immediately, China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines' passengers can earn and redeem frequent flyer miles when flying on all services operated by SkyTeam member airlines. Members of other SkyTeam airlines' frequent flyer programs can also earn and redeem miles when traveling on China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines-operated flights.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nfg05
The adventures trying to use SkyPesos in SE Asia continue. Have had 3 DM agents tell me that they cannot book Shanghai Airlines flights using SkyMiles. Seems to be in direct contradiction with this SkyTeam news release posted on Delta's own website on Jun 21, 2011:

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1397
I've been told the same for CZ and MU, that "CZ is NOT a Skyteam parter" and also been told that "sorry, if you want to fly China Eastern you have to use their miles."

So much for educated agents. First dl.dumb has no partner booking availability, so then you don't train your agents? Go figure...
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:46 am

Anyone have any recent experience with this? I am trying to take a connector from CAN-PVG (guangzhou to Shanghai pudong). It runs at least 5 times per day and I could not find a single day on expertflyer with even one seat showing available. I looked at some of their other routes and I saw one total day where there was a flight that showed x4 from HKG-sha.

If nothing is showing, could delta manually request the seats from shanghai airlines?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat
for CZ, a far better resource to check Skyteam availability is to use the Air France website (will need to sign up for their Flying Blue program). Quite easy and generally reliable.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:14 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Or wandering aramean
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:01 pm

I have used flyingblue and wandr.me. My question is not about CZ. It is specifically about FM. The CZ flights do not have 4 seats available. Has anyone been able to book a flight on FM recently? Is Delta able to request seats that are not showing?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: SQ
Might work to call one of the Asia contact numbers
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When you call DL and convince them that Shanghai is a SkyTeam member, try asking the agent to do a long sell for the exact flight number and date that you think should be available.

Can the four split up? There are many flights between CAN and PVG/SHA. You could meet up at the airport upon arrival.

SHA has many more domestic Chinese flights than PVG. If you're spending time in Shanghai, look for flights from the old Shanghai domestic airport, which is closer to much of Shanghai anyway.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:28 pm

Thanks for the notes. I am going to try calling tonight. I always call the singapore office when booking, have never had a bad agent there. Part of the issue is we are already split into two bookings. (mle-can only had 2 business/2 economy) There are lots of flights where CZ has 2 seats on a couple different flights. But when they set up the original bookings, they put the 2 kids (8&4) on one booking and my wife and I on the other. Dont think it is possible to send one person from each booking on one flight and the others on the other and I am not going to send kids alone. The flight is only $100 or less through ctrip or travelzen but I am already using my open jaw elsewhere.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
You'd be much better off going on the train between these city pairs. Shanghai and Guangzhou airports are perpetually overcrowded and delayed. Also, have you checked CZ availability from both SHA and PVG? Also don't forget that MU flies between these city pairs.

* I lived in Beijing for 3 years, and moved away in February.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Anyone with recent experience redeeming on FM? I want to update the partners master thread as well as the MU thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-thread-6.html
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
Redeemed today for a FM PVG-BKK segment as part of a larger award. DM agent did not have trouble seeing space and matched the results on wandr.me.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
Redeemed today for a FM PVG-BKK segment as part of a larger award. DM agent did not have trouble seeing space and matched the results on wandr.me.
I did the same today, but online.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I did the same today, but online.
Just an FYI. You're replying to threads over two years old.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just an FYI. You're replying to threads over two years old.
I was aware. I'd rather use the search function than create a duplicate thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.