Wiki Posts
Search

Walk around find @ ATL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Walk around find @ ATL

Having flown over 4 million miles on commercial flights, I noted for the first time that the FO had found a problem on his walk around inspection of our Mad Dog today @ ATL. An access panel had fallen off one of the engines on the last flight. The maintenance guys got a new one from stock and replaced it in a few minutes.

I had found a few problems on my own personal pre-flights as a pilot but this was a first in my commercial experience.

One of those things most take for granted these days of auto everything but proves there's no substitue for a good set of eyeballs. Kudos to all involved.^

Cheers
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
You're a elite on 4 airlines and you've never had a MX delay until today?

Please let me know when you're flying...I like your odds...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
You're a elite on 4 airlines and you've never had a MX delay until today?

Please let me know when you're flying...I like your odds...
+1. The OP must not fly on CRJ's!!!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I think the OP is saying this is the first time he's noted the walk around resulting in an MX issue. Now I'm just wondering why DL decided that Silver Medallions rank so low that they have to go do the walk arounds before departure.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I think the OP is saying this is the first time he's noted the walk around resulting in an MX issue. Now I'm just wondering why DL decided that Silver Medallions rank so low that they have to go do the walk arounds before departure.
Lots of MX delays but as mtkeller notes, I meant the first from a walk around. All the others from pilot squawks or the diagnostic systems.

OTOH, I have noted many FO (Silver) squawks on this board.

Cheers
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
We really shouldn't be applauding something [finding the problem and fixing it in a timely manner] that should be regular protocol in the first place. They did nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Now I'm just wondering why DL decided that Silver Medallions rank so low that they have to go do the walk arounds before departure.
I guess DL figures since the silvers are loading the diamonds' bags they might as well do the walk around.....

Last edited by DLdweeb; Aug 2, 2011 at 8:37 am
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nytraveller53
We really shouldn't be applauding something [finding the problem and fixing it in a timely manner] that should be regular protocol in the first place. They did nothing out of the ordinary.
Even though it is a standard process, it can become a routine and thus things can be sloppy. I like to recognize people who are doing a good job in a repetitive but critical action.

Cheers
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by X3Skier
Even though it is a standard process, it can become a routine and thus things can be sloppy. I like to recognize people who are doing a good job in a repetitive but critical action.

Cheers
This probably happens far more often that you notice. Coming home Friday from San Jose, we were delayed due to moisture on the wing, possible fuel, but no one knew and they were checking it out before allowing us on the plane, we found this out because we were allowed to start heading down the jetway but ended up waiting in the jetway, till they cleared the issue.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hilton DM
Yea, i just a pilot delay one of my flights last week due to finding a "screw missing" from somewhere on the plane. Should have seen the look on people's faces when he announced we were waiting due to him finding a screw was missing from a panel on the side of the plane
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
I've had a pilot come back from the walk around and call maintenance to replace a bad tire.

His announcement to the passengers was pretty simple - I'm not flying it and putting all of you at risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.