Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Laptop Stolen From Briefcase Mid Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold

Just as the title states. I was flying DL47 last night on the 777. I was in 1C and there was no bin space above my head and so had to put across the aisle on 1A. Obviously with the angle of the seat I couldn't see over there during the flight but when I went to get my briefcase it was open and my laptop was missing.

I spoke with DL there and they said to file a lost claim online (not much of a claim). I have spoken with LAX police to file a report.

Anyone have any advice what to do here? It is a company laptop with a lot of sensitive information on.

Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
By put it on 1A you mean in the bin above 1A right?

Shocking that something would just be flat stolen in BE. Especially a laptop, seems like it would be hard to open the bin, get the laptop out and stow it in your own bag without anyone noticing.

You say it's a company laptop with lots of sensitive info. Could this have been industrial espionage?

Your company should invest in encryption for its laptops.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:31 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brit44
Just as the title states. I was flying DL47 last night on the 777. I was in 1C and there was no bin space above my head and so had to put across the aisle on 1A. Obviously with the angle of the seat I couldn't see over there during the flight but when I went to get my briefcase it was open and my laptop was missing.

I spoke with DL there and they said to file a lost claim online (not much of a claim). I have spoken with LAX police to file a report.

Anyone have any advice what to do here? It is a company laptop with a lot of sensitive information on.

Thanks
Does your company have a way to wipe the device remotely? That may be prudent if they can.

I don't have any other advice though - sorry.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Not doubting you, but are you 100% positive the laptop was in the case when you stowed it in the bin? More so just in case you left it at the seat in T2 or someone swiped it from the open case during boarding? Just so you can file the claims in the necessary airports.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
What sucks is no one will do a damn thing about it. For everyone who reads this.... people do steal your stuff on planes and unless you discover it before landing, you may as well kiss it goodbye... Delta is really bad at making you feel like they give a damn and will do anything to help you in these matters. Not sure if it is not in their playbook or if it can be abused the other way....
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
If you travel with a laptop, the hard drive should be encrypted.

My company puts encryption software on all laptops. My older laptop has TrueCrypt installed (free, works great) and it will be installed on my newer laptop this week. And I will install it on my desktop at home when I get a chance, as that machine holds tax returns, financial records, etc.

Sorry for your loss, but there's not really a lot the airline can do. It's a shame.

David
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
Yep..what he said, TrueCrypt is great.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
What sucks is no one will do a damn thing about it. For everyone who reads this.... people do steal your stuff on planes and unless you discover it before landing, you may as well kiss it goodbye... Delta is really bad at making you feel like they give a damn and will do anything to help you in these matters. Not sure if it is not in their playbook or if it can be abused the other way....
Even if it was stolen during the flight, and you discovered it, what are they going to do? Are they going to search everyone's luggage on the plane? Detain everybody at arrival? (I am actually interested in knowing...)

With a few hundred passengers on a plane, can you imagine every time someone lost/misplaced their Ipod, or watch, or passport, to demand the whole plane be searched?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Those recommending TrueCrypt are spot-on. If you do use TrueCrypt, I recommend the following:

1) Encrypt the whole drive, not just specific folders.
2) Pick a good password and don't lose it.

You may want to make a backup copy of the key and store it somewhere securely. I keep my backup key secured on my company's file server, for example.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AUDirt
Those recommending TrueCrypt are spot-on. If you do use TrueCrypt, I recommend the following:

1) Encrypt the whole drive, not just specific folders.
2) Pick a good password and don't lose it.

You may want to make a backup copy of the key and store it somewhere securely. I keep my backup key secured on my company's file server, for example.
Also, make use of the custom boot loader. My favorite is displaying some kind of error message that the computer isn't working, like "Missing operating system". Keeps the nosy CBP agents out.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I can't even see how something like that could happen. Not doubting you, just never heard of someone in FC being so bold to even try that. I would be afraid of getting caught. I don't know what can be done, however I would guess there is a password so they won't be able to get in to access anything on it. If your company does not have a remote wipe, then sadly it is just gone, you won't ever get it back. Obviously someone took it intentionally and since you didn't notice it until you got off the plane, it is long gone and no way to figure out what happened.

Sorry, that has to be an awful feeling!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:47 pm

I will have to try tru crpyt out. Sucks that someone would steal from you,in 1st class of all places.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:59 pm

Feel your frustration

I feel sick to my stomach when I hear of people having their stuff stolen from their bag while traveling. I had stuff stolen from my checked bag before and felt so violated. But worse is having your impt item stolen in the cabin! I understand the infor in the laptop is more impt then the laptop itself. Hard lesson - keep your laptop under the seat in front the next time and I will look into truecrypt as well. Thanks for the suggestion to the poster above.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
For what it's worth, this is a good reason why one should not store laptop bags in the overhead bin. I always store my stuff at my feet (unless I'm seated in row 1, and I don't like sitting there for this reason), both because it's polite if the bag isn't too big and because it's more secure and easier to access.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Last year a AF FA was arrested for supposedly stealing money from pax wallets and briefcases several years. And she was a J FA. These things happen, unfortunately. All good advices here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.