Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need help with a worldwide trip please for this coming June or July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum

I live in South Dakota and am looking at taking my lovely bride on a trip to the Seychelles then onto the Maldives then fly home in latter part of June or July. As of now I have 711k miles racked up that I can burn plus being a Diamond I'd like to use my coming GUC's. Has anyone here on FT actually done a USA to SEZ to MLE to back home flight using GUC's? I'd seriously like to have a conversation with you concerning timeframe, time of year, logistics, etc.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I have not used GUCs to SEZ or MLE specifically, but I have used them on KLM, which is probably what you'll need to do.

If this was my trip, I would start by trying to route via AMS (DL or KL over the pond), then on from AMS to as close as you can get to SEZ on KL. Perhaps AUH or NBO. Then the rest of the way to SEZ, you're either going to be in coach or have to buy business class, or book a separate award reservation (though this is likely extra cost and risk).

SEZ to MLE - any reasonable routing is not going to be GUC upgradeable. Pay cash for economy or business, or use miles.

Then basically the reverse on the way home - MLE-XXX is probably not going to be upgradeable with GUCs, but XXX-AMS-USA will be if you're on DL or KL for those segments.

Use ExpertFlyer to check for availability on KLM metal. DL, you'll have to call or find a travel agent or a friend with a GDS subscription.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by javabytes
I have not used GUCs to SEZ or MLE specifically, but I have used them on KLM, which is probably what you'll need to do.

If this was my trip, I would start by trying to route via AMS (DL or KL over the pond), then on from AMS to as close as you can get to SEZ on KL. Perhaps AUH or NBO. Then the rest of the way to SEZ, you're either going to be in coach or have to buy business class, or book a separate award reservation (though this is likely extra cost and risk).

SEZ to MLE - any reasonable routing is not going to be GUC upgradeable. Pay cash for economy or business, or use miles.

Then basically the reverse on the way home - MLE-XXX is probably not going to be upgradeable with GUCs, but XXX-AMS-USA will be if you're on DL or KL for those segments.

Use ExpertFlyer to check for availability on KLM metal. DL, you'll have to call or find a travel agent or a friend with a GDS subscription.
Just the information I wanted to know. Thank you VERY MUCH!! At least I have a place to start now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.