Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else find the Delta A320's noisy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,

Admittedly I haven't flown much on 320's in the past but it seems like the Delta A320's make a lot of racket, especially under power during take off and initial climb. It sounds like every piece of plastic in the plane is loose and rattling. There's also some sort of sensation, like driving on a gravel road. It's something I haven't heard or felt on any other Delta aircraft.

Is this something unique to the A320 in general or is it the fit and finish of the interiors that Delta ordered?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:57 am
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DDCT
Admittedly I haven't flown much on 320's in the past but it seems like the Delta A320's make a lot of racket, especially under power during take off and initial climb. It sounds like every piece of plastic in the plane is loose and rattling. There's also some sort of sensation, like driving on a gravel road. It's something I haven't heard or felt on any other Delta aircraft.

Is this something unique to the A320 in general or is it the fit and finish of the interiors that Delta ordered?
In my experience, the 319/320s make different, but not more noise than the 738s on take-off and climb-out. At cruise, I find the 320s to me more quiet.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by DDCT
I think it's the general fit and finish of the interiors, not just on DL, but on Airbus in general. More rattling plastic sections than on the Boeings.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
I think it may actually be that the Airbus is quieter and you are able to hear the rattles rather than having them masked by engine and airflow noise of the Boeings. I am amazed at how quiet and roomy the A319s and A320s are during flight. The A330s are even quieter.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta, BA
does the OP work for boeing?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
Originally Posted by LR3GuyJoe
does the OP work for boeing?
I bet OP drives Japanese, Korean or American Car.

I love the sporty feeling of Airbus. So called "mechanik"
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
What do you expect from airplane that will float in a river?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
heck i think all aircraft are super noisy. when the FA has to lean down and talk directly into your ear to take your order, something's wrong! i've always wanted to get one of those hertz meter thingies and see just how loud the ambient noise is. i'm sure it's the flights and not the rock gigs that keep me going "what?" when people talk to me!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
The Airbus 319/320 has a peculiar engine noise at high power settings, it usually goes away after 10 minutes after takeoff and then it is a quiet and comfortable ride.

I find the MDs fairly quiet in the engine noise departmnet but the wind noise up front is deafening.

The 757 is very good and comfortable up front.

The CRJ900 and E175 are amazingly quiet.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by PepeBorja
I find the MDs fairly quiet in the engine noise departmnet
unless you sit in row 38.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by PepeBorja
The Airbus 319/320 has a peculiar engine noise at high power settings, it usually goes away after 10 minutes after takeoff and then it is a quiet and comfortable ride.

I find the MDs fairly quiet in the engine noise departmnet but the wind noise up front is deafening.

The 757 is very good and comfortable up front.

The CRJ900 and E175 are amazingly quiet.
It also has some noisy hydraulics when it's on the ground --- as does the 319.

Bob H
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:40 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...takeoff-2.html

There is an explanation about 2/3rds down the above thread.

Apparently the blades of the CFM engines Northwest uses on the A320/319 reach supersonic speeds at takeoff thrust, creating the buzz saw noise.

You'll also enjoy the description of the hydraulics test on the ground -- sounds like someone trapped trying to bang and escape.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
unless you sit in row 38.
35E...its MUCH louder back there vs. 1C.

For the A320, I've only done 20F recently and it wasnt noisy. I have 13A and 13F coming up.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Personally, I like the sound of the Airbus at full power on takeoff, I like the sound of raw thrust/horsepower.

If you sit overwing on the A319/A320, the hydraulic system gives off quite a bit of racket while on the ground.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
I think it may actually be that the Airbus is quieter and you are able to hear the rattles rather than having them masked by engine and airflow noise of the Boeings. I am amazed at how quiet and roomy the A319s and A320s are during flight. The A330s are even quieter.
Agreed. I much prefer an A319/320 to a 737 anyday!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.