Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

an upgrade to Business Elite - transatlantic?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

an upgrade to Business Elite - transatlantic?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
1 segment is DL metal with an AZ flight number. The second segment is KL metal and a KL flight number.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think OP is one of these - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ombo-deal.html

It's an AZ fare with an auto fuel dump. I would not try messing with this ticket or you might likely get burned.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Yes I should have been more clear.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by banffflyr
Yes I should have been more clear.
Yes and doing so would result in more helpful responses.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The weekend of Jan 3-4 is coming, and the TATL loads look just right (Y almost full, BE half full), let's put our hands together and pray for starting the year right...with an op-up...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Some of you have very impressive opup numbers. I, on the other hand, have had very poor opup luck in 2014. Out of something like 60 international flights this year on DL metal, I have been opup'ed one time. There were many instances in which the plane appeared to be full/overbooked, and I was certain that I would get the opup, but rather, I saw many people/children heading into the front cabin who just didn't look like they belonged there. You can usually tell by the bewildered look on their faces while clutching their boarding pass that something is up. My favorite is when they're in the Y cabin looking for their seat, and a FA has to intervene to guide them to the front.

Anyway, my theory is that DL does, in fact, have some criteria for opups. As a very LVC (high MQM/low MQD), I believe that I am getting passed over. Early in the year, the wife and I (she had no status at the time), were opup'ed both ways to MNL, which was very nice. I believe that was in Feb or Mar. After that, its just been the one time. I'm not complaining... just stating my theory about the subject
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Perhaps we can share some tips, from my quite limited experience with TATL op ups and some recent searches I did, I recommend the following:
Buy EC, book non stop flights between major cities, and ideally flights that operate only once a day. Also, fly before and after major holidays. Check in online early, book ticket early, fly solo, and don't order special meals.

Any other good tips? Or specific routes?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Interesting experience on my most recent TATL trip, which I had purchased in cheap coach (DCA-ATL-CDG-BUD-AMS-ATL-DCA) for $704.00. When I checked in on line for the eastbound trip, DL offered me the choice of paying $750.00 or 75,000 miles for a bump to BE. I took the mileage route.

On the way home, in the AMS Crown Lounge 25, when I went to check my seat assignment with a kiosk in there, I was given the option to buy an upgrade to KLM's World Business Class for €289 (about $355.00), which i jumped at.

Not quite the excitement of an OP-UP, but, still, pretty darn good. Here's my trip report.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ia-serbia.html
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:08 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by ND76
Interesting experience on my most recent TATL trip, which I had purchased in cheap coach (DCA-ATL-CDG-BUD-AMS-ATL-DCA) for $704.00. When I checked in on line for the eastbound trip, DL offered me the choice of paying $750.00 or 75,000 miles for a bump to BE. I took the mileage route.

On the way home, in the AMS Crown Lounge 25, when I went to check my seat assignment with a kiosk in there, I was given the option to buy an upgrade to KLM's World Business Class for €289 (about $355.00), which i jumped at.

Not quite the excitement of an OP-UP, but, still, pretty darn good. Here's my trip report.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ia-serbia.html
KLM OLCI and Kiosk offers (long-haul) are very good (and often quite aggressively priced). Except intra-Europe, which is quite strange. Always worthwhile checking out the kiosk.

But, it's important to remember there are many KLM routes that often go out full in business class, with no upgrade opportunities. AMS-LAX, AMS-SIN etc., of course it's always YMMV.

Will also check-out your trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.