Search

How many Diamond Medallions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
How many Diamond Medallions?

Hi Guys!
I always wondered how many people hold Diamond Medallion status.
Anybody know? Rough estimate maybe?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I know someone once reported a DL agent told them there were around 32,000 Diamonds, but that was a while back, so I'm sure the number has changed.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
It was many more than 1 agent to report such a figure; so its believed to, at the beginning of the year at least, a true figure.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by DLATL777
It was many more than 1 agent to report such a figure; so its believed to, at the beginning of the year at least, a true figure.
I've heard that figure several times also and always figured that it was the beginning of the year number. I think what is going to be interesting to compare that number to the number for the beginning of 2011. I've seen quite a few threads out here on if people where planning on going for diamond or to stay at Platinum and roll over. Also, Delta doesn't seem to be pushing the extra MQMs like they did last year which will probably even push less people into Diamond.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by localady
I've heard that figure several times also and always figured that it was the beginning of the year number. I think what is going to be interesting to compare that number to the number for the beginning of 2011. I've seen quite a few threads out here on if people where planning on going for diamond or to stay at Platinum and roll over. Also, Delta doesn't seem to be pushing the extra MQMs like they did last year which will probably even push less people into Diamond.
I think next year will be a flood of DM's as those who rolled over 50k will attain DM for 2011. Then, the following year those who can;t hold it (quite a few if they needed rollover to make it in the first place) drop off we will be back to a lower number. It will likely be cyclical every other year.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
For the record this DM hates roll over and any free/bonus/unearned MQMs. DM was a great idea but in typical fashion they immediately devalued it but introducing rollover.

What's wronG with having an elite program that is actually elite. DM should be all earned with no freebies and kept for the elite few that can actually fly 125,000+ EVERY YEAR.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dean1121
What's wronG with having an elite program that is actually elite. DM should be all earned with no freebies and kept for the elite few that can actually fly 125,000+ EVERY YEAR.

I guess you should define "freebie". I got my DM (for 2010 and again for 2011) the old fashioned way: by taking advantage of double miles promotions and doing MRs. But none of it was AmEx, and all off it was flying, so in my mind I'm just as legit as the guy next to me.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jeff30189
I guess you should define "freebie". I got my DM (for 2010 and again for 2011) the old fashioned way: by taking advantage of double miles promotions and doing MRs. But none of it was AmEx, and all off it was flying, so in my mind I'm just as legit as the guy next to me.
Double Miles Promos OUT, MRs IN, keep it BIS then you will have a real elite program.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
For the record this DM hates roll over and any free/bonus/unearned MQMs. DM was a great idea but in typical fashion they immediately devalued it but introducing rollover.

Agreed. Hate it. Absolutely hate roll over. What is so wrong about making a high level and keeping it exclusively for people who actually fly 125,000mqms-mqms which are attained through either fare bonuses from F/J or BIS. Its disgusting how easy it is to attain DM. To bad they don't have a level for 300,000mqms, of course in restrospect then most DMs would just roll over to any higher level.

Im trying to convince myself to stay with DL account getting near 1MM, but if there are just as many DMs next year as PMs this year, Im going to leave. Can't stand it. I feel the perks for flying 200,000 BIS per year with AA are much greater.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by localady
Also, Delta doesn't seem to be pushing the extra MQMs like they did last year which will probably even push less people into Diamond.
I disagee, they have the double MQM for the four cities. Talking to the agent in the SC BNA last week they had 4 people who flew in to do the BNA SYD MR run for the weekend.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:26 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
No need to really do it EVERY YEAR. If someone attains DM status very early in the calendar year, it is valid through Feb of the next year as a "bonus" then through Feb of the following year as "earned." Not sure if anyone has done this, but I know I earned PM status one year within the first 2 months of the year and it was valid literally for two years.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fti
No need to really do it EVERY YEAR. If someone attains DM status very early in the calendar year, it is valid through Feb of the next year as a "bonus" then through Feb of the following year as "earned." Not sure if anyone has done this, but I know I earned PM status one year within the first 2 months of the year and it was valid literally for two years.
Charter DM member to Feb 2011, earned DM to Feb 2012 in June 2010 and currently have Platinum to Feb 2013 on rollover. I could do DM to 2013 this year but decided to renew Plat on CO/UA instead. Its one of the biggest failings of the DM program in that once you earn enough to guarantee the rollover you want, there is no incentive to earn more MQMs. If you travel in the 250 - 300K range each year as I do, it isn't too difficult to get top tier status on more than 1 alliance. Sort of defeats the purpose of loyalty programs.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Charter DM member to Feb 2011, earned DM to Feb 2012 in June 2010 and currently have Platinum to Feb 2013 on rollover. I could do DM to 2013 this year but decided to renew Plat on CO/UA instead. Its one of the biggest failings of the DM program in that once you earn enough to guarantee the rollover you want, there is no incentive to earn more MQMs. If you travel in the 250 - 300K range each year as I do, it isn't too difficult to get top tier status on more than 1 alliance. Sort of defeats the purpose of loyalty programs.
Rollover certainly is double edged sword from DL's point of view. Previously, there was little incentive to fly if you were not going to make the next elite level. I know I used to try and put December trips off until January unless I needed the status miles. I hated to "waste" EQM/MQM.

This year thanks to rollover I started 2/3 of the way to GM and I was seriously considering testing the waters elsewhere. One TATL DL flight would keep me at GM as a fallback. It turned out DL was better for my first two TATL trips so I stayed (giving back some of the "takeaways" and fixing some of the ongoing problems did help the decision) but without rollover I wouldn't have even considered it.

I understand why people don't like it, but for me the big advantage of rollover is that I never know when I might have an off year (being self-employed) and with a big enough rollover I have some cushion to get me thru an off year without loosing much status. So I guess it is working since I'm more likely to stay with DL.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by turnpike17
I know someone once reported a DL agent told them there were around 32,000 Diamonds, but that was a while back, so I'm sure the number has changed.
The estimated numbers I have heard, or seen posted here during the last year are typically in the 30 to 40k range.

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I think next year will be a flood of DM's as those who rolled over 50k will attain DM for 2011. ...
I don't think such a high number is credible. A lot of potential DMs were unimpressed by the benefits (especially lack of real SWUs) and I think the flood has mostly gone towards CO (which still Status Match DL-PM to CO-PM) and to a certain extent to UA/AA

Originally Posted by Bicostal
... one of the biggest failings of the DM program in that once you earn enough to guarantee the rollover you want, there is no incentive to earn more MQMs. If you travel in the 250 - 300K range each year as I do, it isn't too difficult to get top tier status on more than 1 alliance. Sort of defeats the purpose of loyalty programs.
Rollover never made sense to me, in that it encourages many "loyal Medallions" to test the competition, through Status Match or challenges. I am with you here!

Loyalty programs must have incentives past the highest level to encourage Elites not to become top tiers elsewhere. Thresholds benefits at 25k or 50k are a must. I was never a NW Elite but they really got it with EEP.

Last edited by DP-340; Oct 4, 2010 at 11:47 am
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Well there would be more incentive if Delta ever kept their promises. For every 25k miles flown after 125,000, Delta was going to give Diamonds a 25k mile bonus. Arguably 25k SkyPesos doesn't do much these days in terms of award tickets, but it was some incentive. I'd like Delta to trade me my four worthless SWUs for one SWU that is good on ANY flight at ANY time with availability...oh wait, that would mean it's worth something, Delta would never want that. They have all of us suckers taking SWUs that are worthless as a benefit. Talk about ingenious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.