Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

All MD-88's to be retired from 2015-2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

All MD-88's to be retired from 2015-2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Talking DL MD-88 Retirement Thread

See wiki with info on the fleet retirement.

This thread originally mentioned that they would be retired from 2015-2019.

Last edited by N639DL; Oct 10, 2016 at 9:36 pm
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Interesting if true but I'm not ready to accept Wikipedia as the sole source for this.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
4A on the MD-88 is my favorite domestic F seat.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Interesting if true but I'm not ready to accept Wikipedia as the sole source for this.
I wouldn't accept Wikipedia as the sole source for anything.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by N639DL
Was looking on DL's Wikipedia page and under the Fleet section and with the MD-88, it says that "All to be retired by 2015-2019."

Since they are getting new bins, seating configuration, etc, I guess it'll only last 5 to 9 years. But I am personally glad that they are going. Just like the situation with the AA Mad Dogs, their time has come. I know there is still 5 to 9 years until it's completely gone, but it's good to know their timeframe for exit.

Hopefully DL will stick to what they say (unlike what's going on with the DC-9 situation..there is still a -30 flying revenue flights subbing for a -40 (and they were supposed to go a while ago but got pushed until 2011.)
For my flying (mostly leisure), the MD's are the best domestic a/c IMO. I LOVE having the option of a seat on the "2" side in coach on a mainline a/c! And I've always thought the DC9/MD80 series a/c cruise much more smoothly than other a/c, even to this day. Plus, nothing's better than nearly-silent takeoff in the FC cabin of a looooong a/c with engines in the rear!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:31 pm

I suspect the Wikipedia entry is more or less about the DCs. Unless DL is going to get one of their Regionals to buy a ton of larger CRJ900/1000 or E190/195 I don't see how they could replace the MD fleet.

Originally Posted by gsupstate
Plus, nothing's better than nearly-silent takeoff in the FC cabin of a looooong a/c with engines in the rear!
Good riddance to the entire DC/MD fleet. They are absurdly noisy as they fly overhead.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by motytrah
Good riddance to the entire DC/MD fleet. They are absurdly noisy as they fly overhead.
Hey, the sound of DC-9's taking off from FAR is how I knew whether I was on time for my morning classes when I was an undergrad at North Dakota State. (My dorm was right under their flight path less than 0.5 miles from the end of the runway.)
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
I love riding in the front of the MD80s... quiet, smooth, comfortable.. I'd take over the 757s any day!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by motytrah
How mean! I've NEVER understood the preoccupation with airplane "noise". It's music to my ears! I grew up under the approach path of MOB (not a super-busy airport, but we still had 30-ish DC9/727 flights a day back in the day).

You could feel the planes coming, even before you could hear them! The TV picture (broadcast, not cable) would get wobbly & wavy, then that glorious sound.... You could hear planes taking off way before you could see them, then follow them for quite a while, with their small smoke trails pointing the way.

Not PC, not environmentally sensitive, but FANTASTIC all the same.

<rant over>
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by indufan
4B for me.

Originally Posted by ShopAround
I wouldn't accept Wikipedia as the sole source for anything.
It's not even a level 1 rumor until it's been on airliners.net. Gimme a couple of minutes, and I'll start a new thread over there.

David
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I highly doubt this, but it sounds like a good question for the DO......
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
I really like the MD's in FC, quiet and smooth.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:18 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gsupstate
For my flying (mostly leisure), the MD's are the best domestic a/c IMO. I LOVE having the option of a seat on the "2" side in coach on a mainline a/c! And I've always thought the DC9/MD80 series a/c cruise much more smoothly than other a/c, even to this day. Plus, nothing's better than nearly-silent takeoff in the FC cabin of a looooong a/c with engines in the rear!
I too really like the MDs in the front but I could do without having to sit in 38A again.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:12 pm

There is nothing official stated about the MD-88 retirement. This is probably just a false alarm. My guess is that the MD-88s will go sometime after 2020.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Perhaps DL will let you purchase individual seats if they are retired..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.