Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Christmas/New Year?!!? Here in SWP, any awards at that time of year, if they actually were available, are snapped up 11 months out.

I would suggest there is very little chance of any more becoming available over the next months.

There may be availability at ~328 days - but you need to be looking in January for December.

For example, on February 6th I booked Business (Using VA points) on VA from LAX to BNE for Dec 31 - that was the first it became available.

As I type I can only book up to May 30th.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 6, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: DL
There's currently seats open OW for Dec 22 LAX to SYD via BNE. VA has been sporadically making inventory available over the last few weeks - the trick is getting back though without paying $300+ in taxes...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by No Smoking
There's currently seats open OW for Dec 22 LAX to SYD via BNE. VA has been sporadically making inventory available over the last few weeks - the trick is getting back though without paying $300+ in taxes...
So there is ...

$300 in +++? What's that about ...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by serfty
Christmas/New Year?!!? Here in SWP, any awards at that time of year, if they actually were available, are snapped up 11 months out.

I would suggest there is very little chance of any more becoming available over the next months.

There may be availability at ~328 days - but you need to be looking in January for December.

For example, on February 6th I booked Business (Using VA points) on VA from LAX to BNE for Dec 31 - that was the first it became available.

As I type I can only book up to May 30th.
Yes, I know it's a long shot around those dates. Just looking for some insight from those with more experience on this route.

Originally Posted by No Smoking
And a return on 1/1! A much shorter trip than we would have liked, but I have it booked in order to confirm with Mrs. Lee tonight.

I don't particularly mind paying $576 in taxes for two people to get to AUS and back in J. Seems like a solid deal.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
well done! ^^
(except for the fact that, per a literal interpretation your last sentence, you're going to Austin and back)
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:55 am

So there is ...

$300 in +++? What's that about ...
J. YQ surchage. China Eastern to PVG (6 across in pairs) then Delta 777 to US.

Originally Posted by gooselee
And a return on 1/1! A much shorter trip than we would have liked, but I have it booked in order to confirm with Mrs. Lee tonight.
They did have LAX > SYD direct on 12/18 but it didn't last very long. Added a lot have been showing up but unable to book via Delta.dumb / agent.

Personally I'm hopeful something comes up between xmas and NYE - the LAX to ATL prices around NYE are just stupid already.

Last edited by No Smoking; Jul 7, 2015 at 10:02 am
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jrl767
well done! ^^
(except for the fact that, per a literal interpretation your last sentence, you're going to Austin and back)
Haha...true. Although, seems like it actually does cost around $576 (but without the miles) to get to Austin these days. Couldn't have done it without FT!

Now comes the part where I convince her that a week is enough time down under, and that we can potentially extend the trip if something else comes available later in that first week of 2016.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee

I don't particularly mind paying $576 in taxes for two people to get to AUS and back in J. Seems like a solid deal.
Interesting ...

To redeem LAX-SYD-LAX flights in Business using Velocity (VA FF) points costs 188000 points and around $155 (up to $30 more if connecting at BNE outbound and/or the return).

So at most, that's $370 for two PAX.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 7, 2015 at 4:49 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting ...

To redeem LAX-SYD-LAX flights in Business using Velocity (VA FF) points costs 188000 points and around $155 (up to $30 more if connecting at BNE outbound and/or the return).

So at most, that's $370 for two PAX.
The flights available to me with DL miles route through PVG on the return, using MU and DL metal. I assume that the taxes through China are different.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
What's the latest on booking award tickets from LAX-SYD in Business class using Delta miles?

I have a friends who has a pile (million) of miles and wants to fly with his girlfriend..I am looking into it for him.

Should the rate be 160,000k miles?

Can you still search VA on delta.com? I searched for JAN/FEB but not seeing VA at all..just DL direct for 250-350+K miles...and China Southern via Goungzhou (sp?) at 160k
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy

Can you still search VA on delta.com? I searched for JAN/FEB but not seeing VA at all..just DL direct for 250-350+K miles...and China Southern via Goungzhou (sp?) at 160k
According to VFTW just today report DL have 'fixed' their online award booking tool: Delta Fixes Partner Award Booking and Improves Korean Air Availability in a Big Way | View from the Wing

Your only problem is Jan/Feb is tough to find availability
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
What's the latest on booking award tickets from LAX-SYD in Business class using Delta miles?

I have a friends who has a pile (million) of miles and wants to fly with his girlfriend..I am looking into it for him.

Yes, 160K r/t in the lowest class. VA Biz seats have dried up though. You can still get to OZ if you go thru S. Korea or China. But it's 24 hrs+.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:02 pm

Direct flights are back on select dates and on DL17/41 LAX-SYD @ 80k + $26.40!

Now if we could just figure out this returning through China rubbish...
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:25 pm

Has anyone had any luck recently finding award availability on nonstop LAX-SYD flights on Virgin Australia? All of the nonstops that appear in the online search are on Delta and cost 175k miles for a one-way business class seat. About a month ago, I was able to find seats on VA for 80k one-way.

(FYI, I'm looking for next November, which isn't available yet…so for now I'm searching in September since that's the latest available, just to see what my options are.)
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
September availability isn't going to be indicative of November availability. IMHO you're wasting your time with searches before the booking window opens, feeding anxiety instead of finding bookable awards on your desired dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.