Wiki Posts
Search

In flight TV

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
In flight TV

Maybe I missed this and feel free to beat me and hurl insults I admit I did no search.

But tv is no longer free after a period of time, I think and hour? When did that happen?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
I haven't taken a US Dom flight in a while, but I know INTL flights IFE is still free.

I guess they are following Virgin Airlines.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Boltman519
Maybe I missed this and feel free to beat me and hurl insults I admit I did no search.

But tv is no longer free after a period of time, I think and hour? When did that happen?
I thought TV was only free in FC (and maybe EC?). The last time I flew a 757 with AVOD in Y, the only thing I could do for free was watch the flight info slideshow.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I think the few times I haven't made an UG on a flight with personal tv's, only the movies are charged and live TV is free the whole flight. Last one was in Feb I think?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by roknroll
I think the few times I haven't made an UG on a flight with personal tv's, only the movies are charged and live TV is free the whole flight. Last one was in Feb I think?
I was on one two weeks ago to SLC and this is still true. TV free, charge for movies.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by roknroll
Emphasis mine. On-demand TV costs money - maybe they have a promotion? - but satellite TV (live TV) is free, as is music, the flight map, and the trivia game (just to name a few).

Now if only Delta could get Delta.dumb to work in telling you correctly whether your flight actually has AVOD or not...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Now if only Delta could get Delta.dumb to work in telling you correctly whether your flight actually has AVOD or not...
I am not a fan of DL.dumb by any means, but I personally noticed that it is pretty good about which of my flights have AVOD and which don't. Aside from a last minute equipment change, I can't remember the last time it was wrong. Of course, YMMV.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by milehighflyer
I am not a fan of DL.dumb by any means, but I personally noticed that it is pretty good about which of my flights have AVOD and which don't. Aside from a last minute equipment change, I can't remember the last time it was wrong. Of course, YMMV.
I should have been more specific. I've found that when traveling in one of the many variants of 757, the AVOD symbol has often been incorrect, especially on 752s. Also had a 738 last week that was mislabeled online as having AVOD. I doubt it was an equipment swap because my seats were not erratically changed Honestly, if that's my biggest complaint, I'm pretty happy with Delta overall. Just being nitpicky on my part.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:33 am

This happened to me as well a few weeks ago. On a 738, in F. Live TV for maybe an hour and then nothing without a CC.

The 738 was a sub for a (very) late inbound MD-90, so I was happy just to get where I was going and took out my book and ordered another Woodford.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My business travel has pretty much been entirely eliminated. The only reason I still try to fly DL is because they have a superior in-flight product, IMO (free TV is nice).

If they're going to do away with it or charge me for it then I can't really say I feel compelled to stay with DL when traveling with my family.

EDIT: I guess I should ask -- what was the charge for continuing to watch live TV?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Wasn't there some thread here a while back about how TV would cut off after a while and demand payment, but all you had to do was (I forget exactly... exit out? Power it off? Listen to music? Play a game?) and then you could continue watching for free.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
When did they put TVs on Airplanes?

As a partial CVG captive, Its been months since I was on a plane with any kind of IFE.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Anyone gotten confirmation on this? Delta promotes HEAVILY that you get FREE LIVE TV on those equipped planes (757s, 737s, and 767s).

This would SUCK!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
So an update, it happened to everyone in F, well at least the 5+ tv screens i could see from my seat. I was SLC to LAX and only had about 30 min left so I didn't sweat it but was pretty annoyed as I was watching the Hawks-Yotes game.

After about 10 min I tried it again and it worked. I didn't check to see what the charge would have been but I"m really glad I didn't just blindly fork it over since it came back on as free. Seems pretty shady to me that DL would cut it out look for a payment but give it back for free a few minutes later.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Anyone gotten confirmation on this? Delta promotes HEAVILY that you get FREE LIVE TV on those equipped planes (757s, 737s, and 767s).

This would SUCK!
The last time I was on a 757 with AVOD was last fall (ATL-ORD, the only trip of the day not on an RJ, bus, or MD). I was able to watch the navigation info scroll through, but was prompted for payment to listen to music, watch TV, or play trivia (tried all 3).

FWIW, this was the Y bulkhead of a 757 as (at the time) an FO.

Prior to that, the last time I was on a plane with AVOD was also a 757, in which I was in FC and everything was free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.