Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre Flight Beverage Service, fading fast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre Flight Beverage Service, fading fast

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
Flew ATL-PHL (morning flight) a couple of days ago - no pre-flight beverage - not even water. This is is indeed very rare on DL in my experience.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat. EE
So far this year, all of my legacy DL flights have had PFD service. Same as previous years. When I'm on a legacy NWA route I have come to expect there will be no PFD service, thus when i get it, I'm surprised and happy... Though it doesn't happen very often. I'm not an NWA hater or otherwise, but I have started booking specific routes to avoid them when I can...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:15 pm

I received PFD on all of my FC trips so far this year.

TPA-LGA A319 Excellent NWA crew
JFK-LAX 757 Best Delta crew I have ever had
LAX-LAS A320 Excellent NWA crew

I enjoyed my NWA flights and service. There are some great NWA crews out there.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
... NW has always done the job (albeit not well on the predeparture service) well, but with no flair at all.
You know what, Stan, if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair ... why don't you make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?

Who's with me?!!!! All FAs must have 37 pieces of flair!!! Consequence... bad TTUs.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Evan!
You know what, Stan, if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair ... why don't you make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?

Who's with me?!!!! All FAs must have 37 pieces of flair!!! Consequence... bad TTUs.
FANTASTIC quote and shot!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by padirescu
Ironically, I'm on flight 1972 today from ATL-DCA and due to a 20 minute delay resulting from a delayed inbound aircraft we got the typical "ground service has been suspended so we can expedite our departure as a result of the delay" only to find in typical ATL fashion, that we were approximately 26 in line for takeoff once we left the gate. Sixty minutes after the start of boarding we were finally ready for takeoff so obviously there wasn't enough time for ground service.

I've seen an increase in these 'ground service has been suspended' situations due to minor delays over the past year and they appear to be nothing more then an excuse for what I would consider lazy FA's rather then a realistic attempt to expedite departure.
Actually FARs require all Beverage and Food items to be picked up once surface movement starts. So, even if your #26 for take off we can't serve you. Sucks... but its the rules...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Ironically, I'm on flight 1972 today from ATL-DCA and due to a 20 minute delay resulting from a delayed inbound aircraft we got the typical "ground service has been suspended so we can expedite our departure as a result of the delay" only to find in typical ATL fashion, that we were approximately 26 in line for takeoff once we left the gate. Sixty minutes after the start of boarding we were finally ready for takeoff so obviously there wasn't enough time for ground service.

I've seen an increase in these 'ground service has been suspended' situations due to minor delays over the past year and they appear to be nothing more then an excuse for what I would consider lazy FA's rather then a realistic attempt to expedite departure.
This is their favorite excuse not to provide the pre-flight service. If it is more than 5 min late, sorry, no beverage service even though it still takes the same 30 min time to board the plane and depart.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: DLDM,UAGS,HHD,MRP
Originally Posted by avidflyer
+1.
The point is that the service should be consistent as some % of FC travel is paid. Most of the folks who say it is not a big deal have never paid full FC prices or they would think a bit differently.
Agreed. I'm almost always on an "A", and never lower than Y/BM, because of last minute booking + need for refundability.

I too have noticed (before this thread) the rise of the "Need anything besides water?" lately, although I find there is a correlation with flight time. Maybe the senior FAs on the longer flights just do things old school.

This is, of course, also where a 757 is your friend
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:57 pm

Never NOT gotten a PFD on my 18 segments so far this year.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by nfg05
Never NOT gotten a PFD on my 18 segments so far this year.
And in my 27 segments YTD I've NOT gotten a PFD on at least 5-7 of those segments. As someone who is trained to see black and white (former Marine) I'm always looking for some rhyme and reason to the madness we deal with as a whole as FF. I'm a Marriott PP because I know I can expect a relative level of consistency such as the same bedding, general service level and availability in the markets I travel (mid to major metros).

With DL, I am still dumbfounded when it comes to the various experiences shared here on FT. Do you not get PFD's more regularly because you're in a former NW market? Do you get op-up'd on Int'l flights because you flirt better with the GA's / Skyclub agents or simply because you book a T fare as a DM on a predominantly oversold route? Do those that are DM get recognized as such out of blind luck or is it a "look" that matters (i.e. I generally fly in jeans, tennis shoes, golf shirt and baseball cap)?

My frustration level with DL continues to increase but unfortunately until CO, UA or AA increase their route availability in my market I'm for lack of a better term, stuck. Maybe that's why there's not method to the madness, they know I'm screwed regardless based on my travel patterns so why go out of their way to make me feel special?

Ok, end of rant. Thanks for listening / reading.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
This Is BS

One of the most memorable Delta flights I was ever on was in October, 1986, just going from DCA to ATL (and then on to RSW). It was a 4 p.m. flight on a 727-200 with 12 F seats in front and 136 Y seats in the back. In those days, I could convince clients to buy me an F ticket on DL. Everyone in F had experienced some kind of success in DC that afternoon (including me; I had won a decision in an administrative hearing); the others were going home; I was heading out to see a client in the Fort Myers area and then drive over to Miami to go on a "working cruise" from Dodge Island to Nassau and back where I was one of the speakers. Let me tell you, the drinks started flowing within seconds of being seated. Then, as the door closed, the captain came on the horn and gave out the "bad news", that we were #13 for takeoff. We pushed back, but the FAs didn't stop dishing out refills. Glasses were collected only when we were #2 for departure, about 45 minutes later. I think all 12 pax in F were on a first name basis with each other by the time we landed; DL even served a delicious hot dinner on the flight. An absolutely amazing flight--I made the RSW connection by seconds, and slept all the way there.

So when they give you a line that ground service has to be discontinued, that is total BS.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by ND76
One of the most memorable Delta flights I was ever on was in October, 1986, just going from DCA to ATL (and then on to RSW). It was a 4 p.m. flight on a 727-200 with 12 F seats in front and 136 Y seats in the back. In those days, I could convince clients to buy me an F ticket on DL. Everyone in F had experienced some kind of success in DC that afternoon (including me; I had won a decision in an administrative hearing); the others were going home; I was heading out to see a client in the Fort Myers area and then drive over to Miami to go on a "working cruise" from Dodge Island to Nassau and back where I was one of the speakers. Let me tell you, the drinks started flowing within seconds of being seated. Then, as the door closed, the captain came on the horn and gave out the "bad news", that we were #13 for takeoff. We pushed back, but the FAs didn't stop dishing out refills. Glasses were collected only when we were #2 for departure, about 45 minutes later. I think all 12 pax in F were on a first name basis with each other by the time we landed; DL even served a delicious hot dinner on the flight. An absolutely amazing flight--I made the RSW connection by seconds, and slept all the way there.

So when they give you a line that ground service has to be discontinued, that is total BS.
Ah, the good ole days of business travel. at least from my experience in the late 80's early 90's. FA's that cared and were paid commensurately. F domestic cabin service that rivaled J on carriers like SQ today, Y domestic service that was better then today's F, and a security line that didn't require you to take your wire rimmed glasses off or risk the threat of being frisked by Bubba and his two "friends" with TSA badges.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
OK, I'll chime in. So far this year, around 15-18 segments and no problems with PFD. I guess some were DL, some former NW, but no issues with any of them..... DTW, LAS, MCO, CVG, MSP, SLC, LAX, JFK, ATL, more I can't remember.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Delta - THANK YOU FOR PFB...

OK, OK, there are lots of whiners out there about PFBs and lack thereof, and NW vs. DL. I will also point out that 40% of the posts in this thread cite MSP in the complaint category - That should tell you something!

But, as someone that just cracked 50 segments for the year on DL, let me just offer DL a sincere:

***THANK YOU***

for still offering PFB on (nearly all) F/J flights. Having flown UA for a couple of dozen segments this year as well, let me tell you that PFB makes a difference in F/J. It's not that we are all boozehounds that are "feemin' for our liquor", but it is an appreciated part of flying in F/J.

So - to the larger issue - DL: As you "harmonize" service, please make sure that PFB is not harmonized into oblivion!

TFD
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
Do you think that the regulations now are the same as in 1986???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.