Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dl <=> China Southern transfers at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Dl <=> China Southern transfers at LAX

Have a trip planned FLL to MNL thru LAX. DL to LAX then CZ to MNL. Not so worried about the outbound, I'm sure our bags will go direct to MNL. But on the way back we'll need to clear customs at LAX. is there somewhere to re-check the bags to FLL in the CZ terminal at LAX?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME the bags are chhacked through, which really means tagged to your final destination, assuming that your trip is all on one ticket/PNR. After exiting customs, you give the checked bag back and then walk (or take the shuttle bus) to the DL terminal, where you go through security. However, I tend to prefer to take the bags myself on the free wheeled cart to the DL SkyPriority check in area and double-check before giving up the checked luggage that my connecting flight is on time and I would not benefit from SDCing to another flight at that time.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks MSP. Is the Skypriority check you mention in the CZ terminal?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mikepa
Thanks MSP. Is the Skypriority check you mention in the CZ terminal?
CZ operates from TBIT. DL operates from T5.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...tion%20Map.pdf

If it was me, *I* would get a cart at TBIT and take my own bags to T5. Even if there's a way to check DL bags at TBIT, I'd rather move them myself to make sure they're properly accepted by DL.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Give yourself plenty of time on the connections, particularly the outbound as missing that leaves you on the wrong side of the world.

I usually plan on 3 hours min, and would never plan on under 2:30.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Give yourself plenty of time on the connections, particularly the outbound as missing that leaves you on the wrong side of the world.

I usually plan on 3 hours min, and would never plan on under 2:30.
I have two hours .... if DL gets me there late and I miss the CZ flight (on the same PNR) what is DLs responsibly?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have two hours .... if DL gets me there late and I miss the CZ flight (on the same PNR) what is DLs responsibly?
DL will get you on another flight. But, I assume (w/o checking schedules) that will likely be the next day. Whether or not they pay for hotel etc. depends on the situation.

Despite my warning, you should make the flight. Just that the TBIT outgoing connections can be a mess.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
EF reports MCT at LAX for DL to CZ as 3 hours. I am not an expert so I am probably reading this wrong. Is your flight a legal connection? Was there a flight schedule change?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Relax; it is doable since DL would interline the bags to CZ on your outbound.
Been there and done that. shortest was under 90 minutes and my bags were in MNL. The longest was 4 hours and I managed lunch at In-N-Out.

Just hop over to TBIT after you land in LAX.

Returning:
I am assuming with high level of certainty that you are flying CZ MNL CAN LAX (been there and done it) and the DL LAX ATL? FLL.
There might be a bag tag limitation at MNL. You can bag drop after clearing immigration at TBIT for DL onward connections. Connection bags will do a generic LAX FLL tag.

I agree with MSP economist that it is better to check in with your bags and have DL retag them to FLL with a DL priority tag at T5. You can also look at SDC opportunities for earlier or later flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.